Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

53 Pan no oil to top end

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 10:41 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,349 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Originally Posted by TCMAN
Seems to me, if I remember right, the holes in the cylinders are for oil return from the top end. Oil to top end similar to Shovel, external lines.
Think it was 63 that HD went to outside oiler heads, continued on shovel models as well. Yeah holes in cylinder are for oiling top end. Seems like gilb has done all the checks correctly.

hey gilb...one last thing...make sure the cylinder base gaskets do not cover any holes in the top of the case or bottom of your cylinders.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:55 PM
gilb
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Think it was 63 that HD went to outside oiler heads, continued on shovel models as well. Yeah holes in cylinder are for oiling top end. Seems like gilb has done all the checks correctly.

hey gilb...one last thing...make sure the cylinder base gaskets do not cover any holes in the top of the case or bottom of your cylinders.
I pulled the rear cylinder and the holes in the base gasket match up perfectly. There has to be blockage at some point between the factory drilled oil passage running horizontally thru the tappet screen area, to the oil hole in the rear cylinder. There is a 1/4" plug I can pull out to access that passage, but if the blockage is beyond that, I don't know how to access it.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:54 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by gilb
I pulled the rear cylinder and the holes in the base gasket match up perfectly. There has to be blockage at some point between the factory drilled oil passage running horizontally thru the tappet screen area, to the oil hole in the rear cylinder. There is a 1/4" plug I can pull out to access that passage, but if the blockage is beyond that, I don't know how to access it.
gilb, got a pic of that blocked off passage/plug? When I had my 54 motor and went from hydraulics to solids, the only thing I plugged were the small oil holes in the tappet blocks themselves.

Haven't heard of plugging anything in the cases, but if you post a pic I will definitely print it and ask a couple of people that I consider reliable.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:55 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I never trusted the internal oil feeds to the top end Back in 74? I re did a pan top end to accept external oil feed lines (Had use of a mill ) I ran a knuck style cam cover with the oil feed coming out of the top back end I do have a tech article from back then on this procedure if you want a copy The topic is shovel pumps for pans Goes into drilling a 3/16 in hole to connect the passage from the pinion shaft oiler to the top end oiler etc etc My 52 pan shovel has this type set up as does the 46 knuck

Old 11-12-2010, 11:17 AM
gilb
Novice

Panz, I might be wrong on the 1/4" plug. It looks like when you look down into the tappet screen hole that you can see the oil passage going both ways. I thought if I could gain access I might be able to clean out the blocked passage. I thought it was a plug I could remove, but that's not working out.

Sqdeal, I would like a copy of that article if you could send to harleygilb@gmail.com. Thank You! Maybe I need a hole drilled for that pump to work, however I still think I have blockage I need to deal with, if I stay with the internal oiling.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:26 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Gilb I'm oldold school I need an address or a fax The article is only one page

Old 11-12-2010, 12:14 PM
gilb
Novice

Originally Posted by sqdealgeorge
Gilb I'm oldold school I need an address or a fax The article is only one page
Thanks again!

Last edited by gilb; 11-14-2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: to remove my phone number
Old 11-12-2010, 11:01 PM
TCMAN
Cruiser

Sorry guys, me bad; you are right on location of oil feed (had to dig out my old manual).

Old 11-13-2010, 09:41 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Gilb, understand what is being offered here but the only time I went with outside oilers (other than stock) was on a 93" pan stroker.

Just for some more reading for ya, go to the S&S website, once there click on

- Tech Info (then click on)

- Instruction Sheets (then click on)

- Engine Kits and Parts (then click on)

- #51-1042/ BT Billet Oil Pump

You can download a PDF file and print. Give you an idea of what is involved with mounting a later style oil pump (S&S...some of which will apply to a shovel oil pup as well) on an early pan motor.

Oh and from my post (#5) that jig was used on a set of STD cases and not OEM cases (looked at the old paperwork/notes to confirm)

Another thought...any chance an extra hole was drilled that should not have been and causing a lack of flow to the top end?

Last edited by panz4ever; 11-13-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:04 AM
AmiableDave
4th Gear

Gilb....Just joined the forum.. Have you looked at the Regulating Valve on the oil pump? I never had 10 psi. kicking the engine over....You have 2 feeds, 1 to your pinion shaft to supply the Rod bearings. The other goes through the Reg. Valve to supply the upper end...You could have oil to 1 and not the other.....Just a thought........

Quick Reply: 53 Pan no oil to top end