Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

1956 panhead

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010 | 12:32 PM
hdjunior
|
Advanced
Default 1956 panhead

this is a custom panhead i am working on for a friend. what is left of it is a 56 pan, it has std heads a s&s super b carb. it had been running perfectly fine, 2 kicks to prime then 1 maybe 2 to get it started up. the guy replaced the points, condenser, coil and the orings between the heads and intake manifold and manifold to carb. it still didnt start but it backfired on him a few times. now i have it and im thinking it might be out of time or the points arent set to the right position. can you panhead and hd gurus give me a little insight as to what might be wrong. any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-15-2010 | 07:00 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior

If the bike was running great why did the guy replace all that stuff ? or am I missing something ?

Old 07-15-2010 | 08:43 PM
hdjunior
|
Advanced

he replaced alot of parts then it started to run great. i forgot to mention that part sorry. i just got in from working on it for 3 hours, the timeing was way to advance, it finally cranked over and ran but i shut off before i could diagnose things. there is no cable to advance retard the timing, what can i do to control it and keep it in the right position?

Old 07-15-2010 | 09:17 PM
hdjunior
|
Advanced

its a custom with some 18 inch apes hangers on it and doesn't have the control to advance retard the timing.

Old 07-15-2010 | 10:48 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hdjunior
he replaced alot of parts then it started to run great. i forgot to mention that part sorry. i just got in from working on it for 3 hours, the timeing was way to advance, it finally cranked over and ran but i shut off before i could diagnose things. there is no cable to advance retard the timing, what can i do to control it and keep it in the right position?
Go to the hardware store and get some springs. If needed make a bracket to attach one end and then attach the other to the stud on the timer. Keeps the timer from moving.

get a chance post a pic. Pan **** is always welcome

Old 07-16-2010 | 07:11 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior

How about knuckle **** ! If you need to know how to time this beast let us know we'll walk you through it

Old 07-16-2010 | 11:09 AM
hdjunior
|
Advanced

here are a few pictures. the guy had already put a spring on it to keep it fully advanced and when i pulled the spring off and changed the timing to full retard and just moved it little by little it finally hit that sweet spot and fired up.i just want to know how to keep it in the "sweet spot" and have it running fine and not have it move on me while it runs.

Old 07-16-2010 | 11:45 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

The guy had already put a spring on it to keep it fully advanced and when i pulled the spring off and changed the timing to full retard and just moved it little by little it finally hit that sweet spot and fired up. I just want to know how to keep it in the "sweet spot" and have it running fine and not have it move on me while it runs.

Manual advance timer should be full counterclockwise position (full advance) when running. Anything short of that means your timing is not set correctly. You need to rest the timing.

Seems like you may have to pull and reset the timer. Off by one tooth maybe?

BTW...NICE looking pan there

Last edited by panz4ever; 07-16-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-16-2010 | 03:05 PM
48pan
Tourer

panz4ever's got it right. All the way counterclockwise should be full advanced. Setting the timing is done staticly in the retarded position. All the way clockwise should be where the points start to open in the retarded position. Should be the starting position or close to it. Mine starts cold about half way between stops. Not a hard process if you need help just post on the forum, someone will help. The breaker shouldn't spin that easy, but if it does there may be worn parts on it. Sweet looking pan. Good luck.

Old 07-16-2010 | 04:45 PM
hdjunior
|
Advanced

so what point should i have it set at to kick it over in the begining? while it is running i should have it in full advance am i correct?

Quick Reply: 1956 panhead