Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

49 pan ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Nightrider2
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 49 pan ?

Looking at a 49 pan with a new hydraglide front end, 60 over motor, #s on motor/tranny match, S&S internals, belt drive, pro clutch, tranny rebuilt,12 volt system, SU carb set up with tickler, overall, pretty sharp looking bike, what's it worth, that is if it runs as good as it looks. He told me it took him several yrs to collect all the parts, the frame is stock, never cut, and has the correct holes for a side car. Give me an idea what its worth, i'd have to travel a little ways or have it shipped, thanks.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:58 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,341 Likes on 1,518 Posts

Depending on how clean it is, probably 7-10K IMO (if it is as described). Others will say they can get the same thing/same condition/better condition for 4-5K (have yet to see it though).

Pan values seem to be inching up in the same way that knuckles did a few years back.

You should get a lot of replies from folks on this forum who ride pans. You are looking, from what you describe at least, as a custom ride. Stock, or as close as possible will usually bring in more.

Ask for receipts, goes to the truth of the matter/claims of work and parts. Make sure the vin is legit and matches the title.

If you have a source have them look at the bike for you. not sure if it is done on this forum but on the shovelhead forum, folks are really good about going out of there way to help other members do just this.

Guess the bottom line...it is worth what you are willing to spend and the buyer is will to sell it for.

If you get a chance, post some pics, that always leads to even more discussion on value. Oh yeah...take someone with you who can keep you in the right fame of mind and do not get carried away because you think you really need it.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:49 PM
Nightrider2
Road Warrior

Right now, we're at 11, he wanted 12.5, i'm thinking closer to the 10 firgure, not trying to screw him, but, this is just what i think it's worth. He's done some good things to it, no doubt, belt drive, 12 volt syst, carb, this makes it more dependable to me, with out taking anything away from the basic bike. To be hones i'd REALLY like to have a knuckle, but, they are way to much in my opinion, for a knuckle, put together like this pan, i'm guessing 18+ just for starters, and, i'm probably low by 2 grand. To my benifit, i'm not in a hurry, almost talked myslef out of it, a couple of times. I am willing to take a bit of a long drive just to look at it, but, i will take my pickup and a friend that lives closer to the guy than i do, and, he's a bike nut also. It is a nice looking bike, if it runs as good as it looks, it should be a fair buy, and a good sell for him. I think we'd both be good with the price i've got in mind, unless he's really in love with it, don't think so. I'll wait for a few more comments, might go look this weekend. thanks for your reply.

Last edited by Nightrider2; 11-30-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Nightrider2
Road Warrior

Thanks for the reply, i sent you a PM

Old 11-30-2009, 10:45 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,341 Likes on 1,518 Posts

The "right" parts are probably what the seller has done to "modernize" the bike. From what you describe it sounds like a pretty solid scoot.

Best thing you can do is take a good friend to look at it with you...avoids the "I must have it at all costs" mentality.

Sounds like you have a good basis for what it is worth.

Bottom line... is the vin good, does it match the pink slip. It has been modified and is definitely a mutt. Not a bad thing, just to be mindful of.

Knuckles are definitely increasing in value. I was born in 47 and have had daydreams of owning a 47 knuckle..talk about a pipedream!

Last thought...60 over is not a bad thing unless you pump the motor up and drive it into the ground. My 65 will be facing that when I finish up on my 49. Gonna re-sleeve only because I want to and not because of reliability. Of course being 62 seems to have brought some sense of normalcy and a realization that I am not invincible, so I ride in a more sensible fashion.

Last edited by panz4ever; 11-30-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:05 AM
Nightrider2
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by panz4ever
The "right" parts are probably what the seller has done to "modernize" the bike. From what you describe it sounds like a pretty solid scoot.

Best thing you can do is take a good friend to look at it with you...avoids the "I must have it at all costs" mentality.

Sounds like you have a good basis for what it is worth.

Bottom line... is the vin good, does it match the pink slip. It has been modified and is definitely a mutt. Not a bad thing, just to be mindful of.

Knuckles are definitely increasing in value. I was born in 47 and have had daydreams of owning a 47 knuckle..talk about a pipedream!

Last thought...60 over is not a bad thing unless you pump the motor up and drive it into the ground. My 65 will be facing that when I finish up on my 49. Gonna re-sleeve only because I want to and not because of reliability. Of course being 62 seems to have brought some sense of normalcy and a realization that I am not invincible, so I ride in a more sensible fashion.

Ha,ha, i can see them in the Harley plant in 1947 , assembling knuckle heads, talking about the guys down the line who will have to have a 47 because that was the year he was born!! I've got a picture of me on my uncles 49 pan, but, i like you was born in 47 as well, nothing like a knuckle head, maybe that's why my grand dad always called ME a knuckle head. I'll check all the above mentioned and for sure ask for proof,thanks again.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:15 PM
48pan
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot depends on what you're looking for in a bike. If you want it all stock or you want some modernized for reliability. Sounds like this one has been modernized which takes away from it's stock value. There are a lot of guys that look at it that way, I'm not included in that. I've moded mine similar to the one you're talking about. Sounds like you've got a good sense of the value. It could depend on where you're at in the country too. Seems like bike's are going for less on the coast due to the economy. IMHO .060 over is getting thin on the walls, not a deal breaker but something to be considered when thinking about value.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Nightrider2
Road Warrior

This 60 over thing does have me doing some math, = $ if she grenades and, i'd have a tranny, some parts, and no motor. I'm not a collector or show guy, i'm a rider. So being more reliable is the way i like it. Bright, or brighter lights is a plus with the 12V system, the belt is a plus, sort of, but, a chain, that would be an easier fix. I'm with you on the prices of bikes, i think they are starting to sway a little to the buyers side. thanks for the reply.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:10 AM
mayanruben
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 49 Pan

So the 49 is a mongrel, swap meet type of scoot..If done right, and the tool box mount is still there, along with the loops, no alterations, it can be worth anywhere from 5-12 grand..But once again, what you want a AMA **** scoot, or a runner, sixty over is sound, what can we expect, its old iron..
ruben

Old 12-04-2009, 11:27 AM
stroker93
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The question is,,,,do you want it bad enuff??? Bikes values are down now,,peoples bikes are goin up for sale everywhere you look,,I've been lookin at pans for around 6500-8500,,,we bought a mongrol 51 for 6 gs..I love my shovel and you can't afford and I can't afford to sell it...The market will turn around,,pans are gettin harder to find,,goin overseas,,I would keep lookin myself...
Dave

Quick Reply: 49 pan ?