Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

64 pan vin

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain
Received 330 Likes on 198 Posts

Remy, both those 1965 serial number possibilities follow the format and code for that year Panhead. If it's 65FL3057 the first character in the sequential portion is an odd number. If it's 65FL13057 the first two characters in the sequential portion, when read as one number, constitute an odd number.

If it's a 1965 Panhead then it's an Electra-Glide which means it would have originally been fitted with an electric starter as well as a kick starter. And you'll notice in the model descriptions below that apart from the second F in two of the descriptions there is a B at the end of all four. The B denoted an electric starter but like the second F, the B should not be stamped into the engine serial number.

As with my partial photo of the 1964 serial number above, the 6 in the year portion of a 1965 Panhead engine serial number should have the same type of straight back. Have a close look at the engine's serial number and also see if it matches any paperwork the seller has. And post a good, clear photo of the serial number. You said the bike is in bad condition but we don't know exactly what that means. If you post good, clear photos of both sides of the bike we can try to assist you further as far as identification is concerned. Eric

Old 06-24-2011, 02:52 AM
Ray LOYZ
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knuck

I have not bought the panhead I found last year.
complete they seemed to be but in a bad condition
you explained the problem with the serial number and i renounced to get it.

Since i have found a frame with no numbers
I knows the normal matching numbers have to be on the engine
In France if you don't have french papers from a vehicule that very difficult to ride it on the road. you need them to get a french license plate.
Because the french authority doesn't know the old american motorcycles I have not hesitate to buy an old knuckle frame. this frame is in a very bad condition. nothing to do with it. I have sold it again. With it I got french papers to get a 1939 knucklehead license plate.
The numbers are 39EL41?7 what do you think about this numbers ?
On the legal french title now the numbers are 39EL4127
In France that impossible to get a title to a specific vehicule : chopper or rebuilt.
You must have the original title with the right year and the right numbers.

The motorcycle will not leave Europe
I would prefer to have right numbers but I will ride this title
What do you think about it ?

Old 06-24-2011, 08:31 PM
azpaul50
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Panz4 - Regarding FLHF... the H is officially for "Highway" but can also mean "High performance" since the supersports were of higher compression. The lower compression pans were Fls or FLFs (non-baggers). Ray - There's a guy in the Netherlands with some older Harley parts, Willem Boon, and another in Greece but I haven't bought from him in ages. I don't know about your serial number problem but some parts are available in Europe. I have several old Euro cars and notice renewed interest in American classic motorcycles from UK and DE members. It used to be the Japanese! What's going on over there? They're harder to sell here in the USA due to today's recessionary market! I'd prefer to keep mine here but when the time comes, I may have to ship it elsewhere. - azpaul50

Old 06-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain
Received 330 Likes on 198 Posts

Remy, you posted two serial numbers: 39EL41?7 and 39EL4127. Why is that? You said you bought a Knuckle frame but then sold it. You didn’t mention an engine. So it sounds like all you have is a French title with 39EL4127 printed on it? But no engine? Is that correct?

Knucklehead production was low for 1939, even though Harley says its own figures aren't to be regarded as totally accurate. So that serial number sounds too high. And there's even dispute about how Harley's own production figures were calculated.

Even IF it was a real serial number, it may belong to a Knucklehead engine somewhere and it may even be in Europe. And surely the French authorities aren’t going to give you a licence plate based solely on the title? Aren’t they going to want to inspect, or look at, the motorcycle the licence plate is destined for? Even if they gave you a licence plate without looking at the bike, you would then have a title with a serial number that didn’t match the serial number of whatever engine you put in the frame. I have to say I don’t like the sound of it all.

Keep searching. Find a licenced bike with an authentic serial number and correct title/papers/documentation. Eric