Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

1950 Panhead

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 02:49 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,350 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Curious to see Eric's response. Im wondering if they used tandem stamps for the model year which would place your 5 and 0 closer together like his example. That and the 7 being present on a 61 CI engine. Interesting stuff.
OPs VIN looks as tho the "5" is just a tad higher than the "0". On my 49 EL the "9" is just a tad higher than the "4" and the spacing is goofy as hell. Eric's first four numbers/letters look almost perfectly aligned.

Last edited by panz4ever; 11-21-2022 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-21-2022, 03:39 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,528 Likes on 2,719 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
OPs VIN looks as tho the "5" is just a tad higher than the "0". On my 49 EL the "9" is just a tad higher than the "4" and the spacing is goofy as hell. Eric's first four numbers/letters look almost perfectly aligned.
'
I know some years had tandem stamps and belly numbers can as well. The 7 stamped on an E engine is either a mistake at the factory or someone didn't know the significance of the 7's when they were "restoring the vin number". The 5 and the 0 look tandem and the E and the L do as well on Erics example.

Last edited by hellonewman; 11-21-2022 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-21-2022, 11:04 PM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain
Received 330 Likes on 198 Posts

I don’t know if those heads are STD or some other AM brand. At least some STD heads for Pans don’t allow for the pipes to be clamped on and instead have flanges that accept bolts or studs. And some have different inlet ports similar to what we’d see on a Shovel.
That plumber-nut manifold is similar to what 48–54 Pans had but the fins have been increased which is something that happened as of 58 models and the increase is most noticeable on the R-H side.

Originally Posted by jpointer311
Had some pictures that shows the case numbers. I thought they were original based off the information I read. Could be wrong, not an expert or a panhead guy by no means

This is what I was told "For early Panheads a 7 was again used to tell 74ci (F/FL) from 61ci (E/EL) models. Panheads had at least two types of 7: seriffed; and sans serif. First was the seriffed 7 and it’s the only type I’ve seen so far on 1948 Pans" "I’ve seen both types for 1949 and also for 1950 but at some point during the 1950 model year the sans serif 7 seems to have taken over completely."
When you say the case numbers do you mean the SN or the 7s? If you mean the SN, what information did you read and where was it from?

Notice the spacing of your 5 and 0 when compared to my above example. My 5 and 0 are closer together and they line up neatly with each other and this may be the result of a tandem stamp. A tandem stamp may not have been used for all 50s but it seems to have been used for a lot of them judging by my photo collection thus far. Also notice the underneath of the horizontal stroke of my 5s. Does the underneath of your horizontal stroke look exactly like that? And notice my 0 appears oblong in shape whereas your 0 looks a bit rounded? As for my E and L, they too may have been done with a tandem stamp and there’s not much room between them but your letters are more widely spaced. Here’s another example for further comparison.

1950 Panhead-enq6aqy.jpg

Regarding the 7s, whoever told you about them for early Panheads was quoting me. I wrote that exact info about the 7s on this forum in 2019 and I’ve also written about them elsewhere.

The 7 on the left case is a problem. A very clear photo of the left BN may reveal more about the year and model of that case.

As I mentioned earlier the R-H case is about mid-52 or later but its 7 looks seriffed when I would have expected it to be sans serif. A very clear photo of the R-H BN may reveal more about the year and model of that case.
Eric

The following users liked this post:
jpointer311 (11-22-2022)
Old 11-22-2022, 04:16 AM
jpointer311
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Speeding Big Twin
I don’t know if those heads are STD or some other AM brand. At least some STD heads for Pans don’t allow for the pipes to be clamped on and instead have flanges that accept bolts or studs. And some have different inlet ports similar to what we’d see on a Shovel.
That plumber-nut manifold is similar to what 48–54 Pans had but the fins have been increased which is something that happened as of 58 models and the increase is most noticeable on the R-H side.

When you say the case numbers do you mean the SN or the 7s? If you mean the SN, what information did you read and where was it from?

Notice the spacing of your 5 and 0 when compared to my above example. My 5 and 0 are closer together and they line up neatly with each other and this may be the result of a tandem stamp. A tandem stamp may not have been used for all 50s but it seems to have been used for a lot of them judging by my photo collection thus far. Also notice the underneath of the horizontal stroke of my 5s. Does the underneath of your horizontal stroke look exactly like that? And notice my 0 appears oblong in shape whereas your 0 looks a bit rounded? As for my E and L, they too may have been done with a tandem stamp and there’s not much room between them but your letters are more widely spaced. Here’s another example for further comparison.

Regarding the 7s, whoever told you about them for early Panheads was quoting me. I wrote that exact info about the 7s on this forum in 2019 and I’ve also written about them elsewhere.

The 7 on the left case is a problem. A very clear photo of the left BN may reveal more about the year and model of that case.

As I mentioned earlier the R-H case is about mid-52 or later but its 7 looks seriffed when I would have expected it to be sans serif. A very clear photo of the R-H BN may reveal more about the year and model of that case.
Eric

I see how the serial on the bike i posted doesnt line up, i will have to get a more clear picture and post. The bike is 2 hours away at my dad's house.

I will also get some pictures of the 7 when i get the chance to get over there.

I really appreciate the information.

Old 11-22-2022, 07:16 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,872 Likes on 3,030 Posts

In the shop over the many years we have seen stuff one cant believe when it comes to numbers in MY area NYC metro - 1/2 have been messed with most have a number beyond the production numbers - thats the common theme because so many have been and even many times the same machine changed again have a 66 bought in 69 and its a poor quality job at best with the same owner who does not know - not telling him

today corrections can be done so the core value is with it but we refrain from doing such - in the odd even era the cross one to the other if often seen even with odd numbers and 7 often on FL show up - again many have no idea what the 7 was for — also what was common was using the bottom numbers in a now its a matching number bike as they thought what ever - the saving grace was the computers and when they kept all the info that is used today - no one went back to the paper card at DMV and added those to the now kept files so all of them got a free ride moving forward once they were added after

just know many many disappeared reason this comes up so often