Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

Golden Request Nets Artful Panhead Exhibition

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2021 | 03:21 PM
Curated Content Editor
|
HDF Editor
Default Golden Request Nets Artful Panhead Exhibition

Golden Request Nets Artful Panhead Exhibition
By Bruce Montcombroux

Accomplished builder was caught off guard by a surprise invitation.

Old 10-18-2021 | 05:25 PM
Seasoned HDF Member

Must be fun make a u-turn with this ride.

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (10-19-2021)
Old 10-18-2021 | 08:37 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Whats the chrome nut sack destroyer there for?

Old 10-19-2021 | 06:23 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Lower gas tank mount.

Old 10-19-2021 | 12:38 PM
panheadache
Road Master

While I admit the front end is an exaggerated over-done flaunt of the old style, the general flow and layout of the bike is sano and appeals to those of us old enough to remember the golden age of this genre. I'm just guessing, but you could probably shorten the fork down to 12" over or so and get the bottom frame rail level, and the bike would still maintain the sleek style and improve the handling.

Last edited by panheadache; 10-19-2021 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-19-2021 | 01:33 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

After I got insurance money from a bike wreck in the early 90s, I went to the local HD dealership in McAllen, TX, and was a little short on cash to get a new Low Rider, so the sales guy says he had a 13' long springer chopper that he would let me have for a "decent" price. I expected it to look very much like this one! I also thought it would be difficult to impossible to make any U turns with it, so declined the offer. I should have simply "financed" what I didn't have in cash, but didn't think it would be smart to try to "finance" less than $1000, and they wouldn't budge on the price, even for cash. Their loss!!

Old 10-19-2021 | 01:35 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

There's another weird "clip" at the top of the tank, too. Guess it's supposed to keep the tank up off the frame. Looks kinda weird to me, too, though, and it does NOT look very comfortable!

Old 10-20-2021 | 06:37 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by ABQ-Jammer
There's another weird "clip" at the top of the tank, too. Guess it's supposed to keep the tank up off the frame. Looks kinda weird to me, too, though, and it does NOT look very comfortable!
It wouldn't be comfortable. What I've found with the chopper I recently acquired is you NEED a king and queen seat because you're always in a reclined position and need back support. The pretty seat, like most pretty seats, isn't functional. Hanging onto the bars to hold yourself from falling backwards isn't ideal so Im recovering a king and queen seat I picked up and tossing the solo seat mine came with.

Old 10-20-2021 | 11:40 AM
panheadache
Road Master

...you NEED a king and queen seat because you're always in a reclined position...
YES! The main reason for the setup was to provide reclined riding [look at the '70's David Mann painting in my earlier post] with the straight line stability provided by the long fork. In the late '90's the "clam" style (forward controls from the old school, plus bars well forward that make you bend over forward to reach) was becoming predominate, and it's awkwardness and discomfort never resonated with me. It's still the "ergos du jour" of the HD Board - I had to "clam" to reach the bars and footpegs on the Sportster S I sat on last week.

Old 10-20-2021 | 02:15 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by panheadache
YES! The main reason for the setup was to provide reclined riding [look at the '70's David Mann painting in my earlier post] with the straight line stability provided by the long fork. In the late '90's the "clam" style (forward controls from the old school, plus bars well forward that make you bend over forward to reach) was becoming predominate, and it's awkwardness and discomfort never resonated with me. It's still the "ergos du jour" of the HD Board - I had to "clam" to reach the bars and footpegs on the Sportster S I sat on last week.
Im not sure what's changed, have we gotten smarter? Less tolerant? Maybe. I bought mine because its a bucket list thing and figured I would look at it a lot more than ride it. I've ridden it and I cant see how someone would ride it more than 45mins let alone across the country with a spare inner tube and tools. Back then it was the source of transportation but today you just dont see them on the road, at least up here at the north pole where I am.

Quick Reply: Golden Request Nets Artful Panhead Exhibition