Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

1948 EL basket case resto

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2023 | 05:25 PM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Got lots of small details done today.

Tail light wired, junction block wiring done, just have to finish the generator wiring at the ignition key.

Original throttle cable bracket showing its age.

Original brake rod wearing a flat from rubbing on the board mount.

Repop brake switch, something I can change down the road. Spring should be painted black.

Waiting for the generator end cover screws and hammer rivets for the label then I'll install it. For now it was there to get the wiring in the right position.

Harness taped to frame as per original

The following 2 users liked this post by hellonewman:
Architect (02-27-2023), Harfar (02-27-2023)
Old 02-26-2023 | 05:39 PM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Referring back to some of those pictures, pretty much any cable or wire can be routed whatever way you want and it'll get the job done but getting it right is tough. Time consuming and takes research. For example, the brake light switch pic, there's a lot going on to get right.

The angled zerk fitting to grease the rear brake shaft is correct, its easy to put a straight one there and its still easy to access with a grease gun. The wiring goes under the oil line and the wire sheathing ends at the line with exposed wiring after that. The mount for the brake switch has a spacer behind it to move it away from the oil pump. Like I mentioned earlier the spring should be black. The brake switch pull on the brake rod is original, the repops are thinner gauge metal and the profile isn't right not to mention often the plating (parkerizing) is zinc phosphate on repop parts and hardware, not manganese phosphate like original which gives a much darker finish. Zinc must cost less. I parkerize my own parts because sometimes you get a miss on a part and it needs to be redone. Sometimes parts are lost, they fall off the rack or the tumbler basket door flops open and into the tank your stuff goes. You're SOL at that point because they wont stop the production line and drain a thousand gallon tank for you, there's no accountability so I do it myself with no loss of sleep.

The following 2 users liked this post by hellonewman:
Architect (02-27-2023), Harfar (02-27-2023)
Old 02-26-2023 | 06:20 PM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior

Amazing work @hellonewman !

Thanks again for posting and noting the difference. Valuable info!

Old 02-26-2023 | 07:23 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

The front brake rod rear pin

Old 02-26-2023 | 07:35 PM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
The front brake rod rear pin
I wanted it that way because the pin end was close to the pipe and depending on the adjustment I was concerned it would hit. Im not sure where I want the pedal when its in the rest position which will determine the travel I can have.

Old 02-26-2023 | 07:47 PM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Looking for mirror input. I looked on line and most have no mirror then I found this bike. It looks like an earlier mirror or a military mirror I've seen on WL's, its more complicated in the stem than the repop one I have here which is quite basic. The biggest issue with my mirror besides being repop is everything is black but Im thinking the stem and clamp would more likely be parkerized.

Old 02-27-2023 | 12:58 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Show me a pic. This is the bike I can dress up.

The following 3 users liked this post by panz4ever:
Architect (02-27-2023), gonemad (02-27-2023), hellonewman (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023 | 06:10 AM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Thanks for the pic Panz, it wont go with the rest of the exhaust being black and probably not available without donating an organ if I wanted one.

Old 02-27-2023 | 06:41 AM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior

Good grief fellas!

You keep postin' pictures of all these purdy motorcycles and I'm bound to start making some VERY unsound financial decisions! (Keep it up!)

Honestly though, threads like this not only stoke the fire for wanting one of these beauties but also helps inform those who do! And yes, @hellonewman, I am working toward getting Palmer's book, which I see is now in its Third Edition. And, I assume it's his wife Deborah who is offering them, and she lives near me in Florida!
STILL amazed at the attention to detail you all put into these fine rides. And, thanks for posting them!

Old 02-27-2023 | 06:57 AM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Tcrafty
Good grief fellas!
You keep postin' pictures of all these purdy motorcycles and I'm bound to start making some VERY unsound financial decisions! (Keep it up!)
Honestly though, threads like this not only stoke the fire for wanting one of these beauties but also helps inform those who do! And yes, @hellonewman, I am working toward getting Palmer's book, which I see is now in its Third Edition. And, I assume it's his wife Deborah who is offering them, and she lives near me in Florida!
STILL amazed at the attention to detail you all put into these fine rides. And, thanks for posting them!
I think you should get a bike, there's always something on ebay. I watched a 1948 UL sell this weekend in the mid-teens that had its fair share of mods but its a starting point. June will be 3 years off and on restoring this bike, sure doesn't feel like that and it's been a lot of fun. Buy one, learn it inside out and take your time sorting it out.

Yes that's her, get the third edition which is a two book set, its a great read.

The following users liked this post:
Tcrafty (02-27-2023)

Quick Reply: 1948 EL basket case resto