Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

1948 EL basket case resto

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2022 | 04:37 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hellonewman
There shouldn't be much of anything flying around on mine with the andrews 4th with seal plus a super nut, a belt primary and an o-ring chain. Should be as dry as a twinkie but without the power.

your correct the 48 wont stink like the Twinkie does

Old 10-26-2022 | 07:33 PM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

The oil pump drive was tight, it was bothering me and had to look into it. It felt like a tight bushing so I started to take the pump off but gave it a spin with the cover off and it was nice and smooth. The steel plate has a shiny rub mark around the hole you can see below. I'll take that high spot down, have a closer look at the gear that contacts the plate and continue putting that side together.

The following users liked this post:
Architect (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022 | 06:54 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Two things at play - one seen the shaft clip slot not in the right spot letting the pin deeper into the cover

and the earless clip must be installed not an ear one - i see a witness mark inside the clip hole was touching as well but that might be from another time

Old 11-07-2022 | 02:57 PM
FLshovelhead
Tourer

Originally Posted by Speeding Big Twin
Looking good. But are you experimenting with the rear brake operating lever?
Eric

Haha no and thanks. The brake was assembled that way when I bought the bike and I was looking at it on the weekend thinking I need to make sure thats not on backwards because I've seen that mentioned on this site a few times. You made me look it up in the parts book just now and the image makes it unclear so I can see why people flip them around. Had to find a pic on line with no saddle bag. I'll be correcting that today!
I just picked up a 1952 FL. I'm new to panheads, so still trying to learn what I can about these old machines. The linkage on mine is setup like the picture above (curved edge bowing to the right / back of the bike).

This is the way the pedal lever / linkage connection should be setup up? With the curved bow pointed to the left / front of the bike? Does that change the functional performance of the rear drum brake if the part is installed backwards? Or is more to keep things "correct" with the way the part originally left the factory?

Old 11-07-2022 | 03:25 PM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by FLshovelhead
I just picked up a 1952 FL. I'm new to panheads, so still trying to learn what I can about these old machines. The linkage on mine is setup like the picture above (curved edge bowing to the right / back of the bike).
This is the way the pedal lever / linkage connection should be setup up? With the curved bow pointed to the left / front of the bike? Does that change the functional performance of the rear drum brake if the part is installed backwards? Or is more to keep things "correct" with the way the part originally left the factory?
Second picture is correct. I've seen them on both ways and from a functionality standpoint I don't see how it would matter if proper adjustment could be achieved both ways.

FLshovelhead (11-07-2022)
Old 11-07-2022 | 04:21 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member

Second way the curve at the bottom gives more clearance to the rod clevis, so that's what I'd do. It also looks better, lol.

hellonewman (11-07-2022)
Old 11-09-2022 | 09:33 PM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain

Factory photo of the rear brake operating lever on a prototype 54 (with 52 engine).

1948 EL basket case resto-qemltzd.jpg

Apparently the brake works more efficiently when the lever is fitted like this. With the lever facing this way the hole for the clevis pin looks further to the rear and that makes sense to me because obviously the rod moves forward when the brake is applied.

Here’s part of page 78 from my H-D catalog for 37-49.
Eric

1948 EL basket case resto-k9jkrmi.jpg

The following 2 users liked this post by Speeding Big Twin:
Architect (11-10-2022), FLshovelhead (12-02-2022)
Old 11-09-2022 | 09:34 PM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FLshovelhead
I just picked up a 1952 FL. I'm new to panheads, so still trying to learn what I can about these old machines.
That’s an interesting year for Pans. Two left cases, two R-H cases, two gear covers, two oil pumps and two Fs for the SN.

Because you’re new to Pans and trying to learn, have you considered starting a thread about your 52? We could then help with identification of parts etc and there are a few Shop Dopes available regarding 52s.
Eric

Old 11-26-2022 | 06:42 PM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Solved the oil pump binding problem, spins nice with my fingers and shimmed the front engine mounts to prevent a sad face.

Moved to the other side, want to button that up but there's always hurdles and they eat time like crazy. The Shifter pivot bolt I have is too thick almost like its designed to eliminate the bushing in the tank. Spent a half an hour going through my stash hoping I had one, nope. Regular nut and bolt for now so the rod could be hooked up mainly at the trans end. Trans sprocket on, conventional chain - I had 3 new diamond chains in a bin so I decided against buying an o-ring chain, I might regret that.

Routed the engine vent up and over to the other side and hung it down ahead of the transmission. I'll have to ride the bike to see if I regret that decision as well.

Tomorrow I want the primary on with the belt setup and the chain length set.

Old 11-27-2022 | 08:34 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member

Looks good as usual, nice job. The motor numbers don't look right though, you might want to make sure they are legit, lol.

hellonewman (11-27-2022)

Quick Reply: 1948 EL basket case resto