Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

1948 EL basket case resto

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2022 | 11:38 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Progress loks nice. Did you go with the PEEK seals on the intake manifold?

Old 10-12-2022 | 11:40 AM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Progress loks nice. Did you go with the PEEK seals on the intake manifold?
Yes I did.

I assume your 49 manifold is cast? This one is fabricated from pipe, how fitting as its a plumbers manifold.

Old 10-15-2022 | 05:26 PM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Gas Box exhaust, couldn't be more pleased. I bought it in raw steel because I had my doubts it would be perfect and wanted to test fit if then ceramic coat it black. It fit perfect without any effort.

The following 3 users liked this post by hellonewman:
Architect (10-17-2022), FL54 (10-16-2022), panz4ever (10-16-2022)
Old 10-21-2022 | 06:14 AM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I pulled the engine out because the rear fins were touching the seat post. I like to think this isn't unheard of and clearly the fin had been touching before, maybe first year pan and they cut things too close? I debated opening up the engine mount holes in the frame but they were nice and snug with the engine which I preferred rather than it being sloppy so instead I lightly scalloped the rear fins to clear the post and put the engine back in.

The engine looks good when you just look at it as a whole but when you focus on some of the casting they're really crude.

Last edited by hellonewman; 10-21-2022 at 06:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Architect (10-21-2022)
Old 10-21-2022 | 08:13 AM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior

Amazing! But this was a time when your car could be fixed with an adjustable wrench, a FLATHEAD screwdriver, pliers, and a hammer.

I may be showing how much I don't know about these older rides, but I wonder if the previous owners ever felt a vibration they just couldn't locate. Or if they could even feel the vibration over what else was going on at the time.

The machining that is being performed at the production level today is amazing, but there's something endearing about these bikes' simplicity. And, they LOOK gorgeous!

Thanks for the update and info!

Old 10-21-2022 | 12:18 PM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Tcrafty
Amazing! But this was a time when your car could be fixed with an adjustable wrench, a FLATHEAD screwdriver, pliers, and a hammer.

I may be showing how much I don't know about these older rides, but I wonder if the previous owners ever felt a vibration they just couldn't locate. Or if they could even feel the vibration over what else was going on at the time.

The machining that is being performed at the production level today is amazing, but there's something endearing about these bikes' simplicity. And, they LOOK gorgeous!

Thanks for the update and info!
Not sure you would feel it because the engine is solidly mounted to the frame. I didn't want it grinding away on the seat post, glad it was an easy fix

Old 10-21-2022 | 02:22 PM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Not sure you would feel it because the engine is solidly mounted to the frame.
Hadn't thought of that, but makes sense. Totally different way of doing things back then!

Old 10-26-2022 | 02:38 PM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Parts back from powder coating / ceramic coating.

Comparing a repop inner primary, left, oem on the right. The repop primary came with the 46 and it's nice but the glaring error is the chain deflector. They went through the trouble to put one on (hand shift only had it) but its not only not correct in size but its on backwards too. The repop deflector is better, how the factory should've done it but it's wrong unfortunately.

Undecided what to do with it but oem ones that aren't trashed are as rare as rocking horse poop.

Old 10-26-2022 | 03:08 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

The way i seen it work original OEM is the no seal in the end hi gear gets leaky and the liquid it flung into the bottom angled part and allowed to just drip off - as very little collects o the top piece

the re poop in its installed working does not do that per say - it collects in the cup section - and mixes with the dirt while going forward in hi gear - and then builds up to a grease like blob then at some point drops and ends up all over the tire - brake rod and lever for the brake shoe backing plate and the rear fender — what a mess

I just seen both installed over time and what i have seen happen

Architect (10-27-2022)
Old 10-26-2022 | 03:50 PM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

There shouldn't be much of anything flying around on mine with the andrews 4th with seal plus a super nut, a belt primary and an o-ring chain. Should be as dry as a twinkie but without the power.

Architect (10-27-2022)

Quick Reply: 1948 EL basket case resto