Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

1948 EL basket case resto

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2022 | 03:50 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Taking too much red off the car would make it look as if it was an after thought

i like the 2 color red black -me that car needs more red

Old 04-03-2022 | 03:54 PM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

The car is a challenge. It might look better if they reversed the paint scheme and not carried the paint line an inch into the side panel. There is a natural seam where they made the cut line but it doesn't work for me like that. Black where the red is and vice versa.

Yes maybe more red and just two-tone on the fender and the black interior gives the contrast the red body needs. No current plans to run the windshield and tonneau cover.

Last edited by hellonewman; 04-03-2022 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-04-2022 | 06:29 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

I do not have it in front of me, but I believe last year there was AMCA coverage of a National Event. Two friends had a 1947 Knuckle and 1948 Panhead, both in blue. The colors did not match, but very, very close, the point of the story was how similar and yet how different the two year bikes are when viewed in person. I stand that blue was available in 1948, just maybe not called Skyway Blue anymore.

Old 04-04-2022 | 06:37 AM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Architect
I do not have it in front of me, but I believe last year there was AMCA coverage of a National Event. Two friends had a 1947 Knuckle and 1948 Panhead, both in blue. The colors did not match, but very, very close, the point of the story was how similar and yet how different the two year bikes are when viewed in person. I stand that blue was available in 1948, just maybe not called Skyway Blue anymore.
1948 its called Azure blue and probably not the same blue as Skyway.

Old 04-04-2022 | 06:44 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

If the bike had the cold weather shield and leggings - to me the package is a more user friendly visual - kind if expected on a machine like that

but i look at everything in a re sale value window

Old 04-04-2022 | 07:15 AM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
If the bike had the cold weather shield and leggings - to me the package is a more user friendly visual - kind if expected on a machine like that

but i look at everything in a re sale value window
Im not going down that rabbit hole and it's not the look Im going for, it wouldn't be fun for me to ride or look at with all those period correct accessories on it either. If it was a build for maximum profit then yes I would make it into a bike I dont like, paint it a ho-hum color and blow it out at Mecum or RM. The kids are looking forward to riding in the car which is what this bike is all about for me.

The following 2 users liked this post by hellonewman:
Architect (04-04-2022), FL54 (04-04-2022)
Old 04-04-2022 | 09:02 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hellonewman
The car is a challenge. It might look better if they reversed the paint scheme and not carried the paint line an inch into the side panel. There is a natural seam where they made the cut line but it doesn't work for me like that. Black where the red is and vice versa.

Yes maybe more red and just two-tone on the fender and the black interior gives the contrast the red body needs. No current plans to run the windshield and tonneau cover.
If you think about how the fenders look, maybe bring the line between red and black up into the top of the car an inch or so. The gas tank line is also more on the horizontal surface than vertical. You need a photoshop expert, haha.

Old 04-04-2022 | 09:58 AM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
If you think about how the fenders look, maybe bring the line between red and black up into the top of the car an inch or so. The gas tank line is also more on the horizontal surface than vertical. You need a photoshop expert, haha.
If I go with the two-tone like that I would bring the line up to the top edge rather than frame the black with red like they did. Not sure what to do yet on the car body. Personal preference would be all black vs red if it had to be as solid color and the fender two-tone. There might be too much going on if every panel has two colors on it.

I photoshop program would be handy! I might go to the photoshop section on the forum and ask if someone would do that for me.

Old 04-04-2022 | 03:54 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hellonewman
I photoshop program would be handy! I might go to the photoshop section on the forum and ask if someone would do that for me.
They do that? Cool!

Old 04-05-2022 | 06:11 AM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
They do that? Cool!
Sometimes. So far nothing yet but a friend of mine offered to so I might have two pics today. One all red body and one all black.

Quick Reply: 1948 EL basket case resto