Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

1948 EL basket case resto

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2022 | 08:34 AM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Venturing away from factory options here, I'm liking this combo but I would have stainless trim on the fenders separating the colors. Maybe a silver line on the tank to mimic the fender look. The red / black looks period correct as well.

The problem Im having with black is with the sidecar, frame, wheels etc all black there's just too much of one color going on.

Ive debated (gasp) a satin metallic steel blue on the bike completely ignoring the factory options. Could still do that.

The following users liked this post:
Harfar (04-09-2022)
Old 04-02-2022 | 11:46 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member

If John gives you the OK for doing a custom color, it was popular back then to use paint offered in that year or just prior on luxury cars like Cadillac or Lincoln. Maybe there is something you like from those paint options?

Old 04-02-2022 | 01:32 PM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
If John gives you the OK for doing a custom color, it was popular back then to use paint offered in that year or just prior on luxury cars like Cadillac or Lincoln. Maybe there is something you like from those paint options?
Palmers book says no custom colors offered in 47 or 48, read that last night.

If John hear's something back giving more detail about what went on back then that would be great but regardless of those findings I'm not limiting myself to the standard choices. My bike, my choice right but within reason. Im trying to stick with something that wouldn't be unheard of rather than go with Panther Pink or Plum Crazy.

Old 04-02-2022 | 03:51 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Today the more off the Bible offerings - the more 10 thousand dollar bills are shed

what you like does not matter when its being sold - everyone in this end is real tired of - its mine and i like

no one gives a **** what you like - having said that - i will be in touch as soon as i hear from mudfish

maybe a light at the end of the tunnel does exist - i could like a departure from the norm as well

Old 04-02-2022 | 04:28 PM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
Today the more off the Bible offerings - the more 10 thousand dollar bills are shed

what you like does not matter when its being sold - everyone in this end is real tired of - its mine and i like

no one gives a **** what you like - having said that - i will be in touch as soon as i hear from mudfish

maybe a light at the end of the tunnel does exist - i could like a departure from the norm as well
I get that, its the same in the car world I deal with on the daily basis. Paint something an off-color and some people will crucify you for it but the accepted dollar deduction on the sale is the cost of a repaint only.

The way I look at it is its not like doing a color change on a car and the factory choices SUCK other than black. If I had to blow the bike out for some reason its a scuff and paint away from pleasing the masses.

Old 04-02-2022 | 06:01 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Ok when was it you kept a bike more then a week after completion — just saying

i apsolutely love busting ***** when your as big as i am you get away with it — being really crazy also helps

Old 04-02-2022 | 07:28 PM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
Ok when was it you kept a bike more then a week after completion — just saying

i apsolutely love busting ***** when your as big as i am you get away with it — being really crazy also helps
Look who's talking, it's your business and you have a bike sold before you even get it home and off the trailer. No plans to sell the oil dripping clunkers or the Twinkie

Old 04-02-2022 | 08:07 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

When your good - who am i to brag - your good

jealousy about a twinkle - aahhhh no

Old 04-03-2022 | 11:45 AM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

This one wasn't executed properly in my opinion, the side car in particular is a fail but I like how they handled the tank given the challenge with the emblem. Yesterday I was thinking the sidecar body would be all black with a two tone fender to match the bike fenders.

I noticed also that the example I gave earlier the tank badges have been relocated angling them so the stripe divides the tank and emblem nicely, I dont have that option because the emblems are parallel to the ground originally. So I was thinking of a few other ways to lay the black and red out on the tanks and they saw this one. One of my ideas has the black coming up around on top of the tanks joined to the lower black section on the sides.

The following 2 users liked this post by hellonewman:
Architect (04-04-2022), Harfar (04-09-2022)
Old 04-03-2022 | 03:14 PM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I didn't count but I must've had the front fender on and off 20 times not including the brace off the fender a few times as well as swapping the brace with another. Finally fits with minimal effort so its not stressed into position.
Need to replace 4 small rivets in the brace, paint the parts of the brace and inside of the fender where the brace is against it then the large rivets before it can join the rest of the parts at the body shop. As a final check I have an old wheel I'll install to make sure things line up.

The following users liked this post:
Architect (04-04-2022)

Quick Reply: 1948 EL basket case resto