Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

1948 EL basket case resto

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2022 | 11:30 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

hellonewman...

See that you painted the ball joints. How you figuring on getting a wrench on them without messing up the paint (which came out perfect...very nice)?

When I redid the 49 EL project I went with Andrews. It was an easy decision at the time because most of the internals that came with it were trashed anyway.

Old 01-04-2022 | 11:35 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Architect
You know want reverse, part of the show with a side hack!!!!!
Added the 3+R to the 65 project (which I am finally getting around to again). Think I am going to lose some top end with the gearing chage between a 4 speed and 3+R, just not sure how much tho. Going to get it a try ansd see how/if I like it.

Old 01-04-2022 | 05:27 PM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Any idea what AP is on the gear cluster?

No surprises inside, could be a cheap rebuild.

A friend has a 3 speed but condition unknown right now, I'll look into it. Might just have it on the shelf and go with the 4 speed.

Old 01-04-2022 | 05:34 PM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by panz4ever
hellonewman...

See that you painted the ball joints. How you figuring on getting a wrench on them without messing up the paint (which came out perfect...very nice)?

When I redid the 49 EL project I went with Andrews. It was an easy decision at the time because most of the internals that came with it were trashed anyway.
Good question. The problem is (and Im guessing here) they were probably parkerized, the frame painted and then the socket installed. I see the socket is pinned to the frame and I debated separating the parts but I could've gotten into a jackpot if I did that. So they got powder coated and should be tough. I'll see what happens when the time comes to hook it up.

Old 01-04-2022 | 06:11 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

The gearing change is in the front chain sprocket for speed or i got that incorrect as hi gear is never changed or has it ever been replaced with anything but 1to1

Old 01-04-2022 | 06:30 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Good question. The problem is (and Im guessing here) they were probably parkerized, the frame painted and then the socket installed. I see the socket is pinned to the frame and I debated separating the parts but I could've gotten into a jackpot if I did that. So they got powder coated and should be tough. I'll see what happens when the time comes to hook it up.
Before I had the frame painted on mine I pulled the ball sockets and replaced them with some NOS ones I located. The two small set screws on each end are peened and were a real bear to get out as were the ball socket joints.

That would be a good score if you can get the 3+R as a compplete unit. The only new gear in mine is the high speed gear (same for both 3 & 4 speed trannys). Went with Andrews and honed it to a new case race as well.

Last edited by panz4ever; 01-04-2022 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-04-2022 | 07:03 PM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Before I had the frame painted on mine I pulled the ball sockets and replaced them with some NOS ones I located. The two small set screws on each end are peened and were a real bear to get out as were the ball socket joints.

That would be a good score if you can get the 3+R as a compplete unit. The only new gear in mine is the high speed gear (same for both 3 & 4 speed trannys). Went with Andrews and honed it to a new case race as well.
Im glad I didn't go through that process, sounds like a real joy.

I'll need to take the box apart, comes with a J5 top cover, not that that's right for this bike but I wont complain. I wont buy it unless I can take it apart right there, too much of a gamble to end up with an empty case and scrap gears. Not sure what value to put on it, any idea?

Old 01-13-2022 | 03:47 PM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I put the main shaft back in my transmission last night and switched over to the sidecar parts today.

Prepped for parkerizing, the hardware is in pretty good shape for 83 years old! Not sure what to make of the outer fender stud with the brazed stud, is it a repair or how they came?

As much as I love sport bikes for their performance and quality, I love how heavy duty the old harley parts are. This cam for the brake shoes has a groove in it for the grease to flow around, just one of the many cool ideas.

Undecided on paint color, red is a possibility but not that red.

The following users liked this post:
Architect (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022 | 01:45 AM
Pdnyc
Advanced

That is a lot of braze on that stud, almost looks factory.

Old 01-14-2022 | 06:59 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pdnyc
That is a lot of braze on that stud, almost looks factory.
hey one of the guys has a police handlebar note pad and clamp for a panhead police era bike you be interested

Quick Reply: 1948 EL basket case resto