Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

65 Electraglide

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 06:49 PM
Groucho-17SGS
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 65 Electraglide

Kind of the same story on this one except I am interested in what is original and if any of the items will fit on 64 Duo Glide.

Old 03-30-2020, 07:05 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,450 Likes on 2,694 Posts

Same deal, things are chromed that shouldn't be. Kicker arm, chain guard, oil tank, license plate bracket, rear axle bolt. Foot boards are correct, rear shock cam adjusters should be clear cad not black, wrong gas caps.

Old 03-30-2020, 07:06 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,450 Likes on 2,694 Posts

If you take a close up of the welds on the muffler fish tail we can see if its an over the counter OEM muffler or an old repop.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:54 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,339 Likes on 1,517 Posts

Without close up detailed pics it is difficult to determine what/ what in not OEM/NOS. Additionally there are some pieces (heads, transmission case, nacelle & rims for starters) that you cannot say one way or the other until some disassembly is undertaken. Vin# will determine if it is in fact a 65 motor. One that is correct will also have matching belly numbers.

That said, from a a distance (pics are that) my best guess on what is not correct and or original or aftermarket to your bike

Directional signals (front and rear)
Passing lamps
Headlight bulb
Mirrors and perch that hold them
Tail light housing
License plate mount
Chain guard
Floorboards & rubber
Gas caps
Rear brake pedal
Kicker arm
Oil bag
Starter cover
Rocker covers
Rocker cover D-rings
Rear exhaust crossover cover
Starter relay
Front brake line tube

Unless you are a purist, ride it. It is a nice piece of history even as it is presented here. And you will get a lot of compliments on the bike.

Just a thought. Guy by the name of Bruce Palmer has spent years documenting Harley davidson motorcycles from the mid-30s to the mid-60s. He has done two editions. He is currently in print on the third edition. It will include 1936 models as well as 1965 models. If you really want a definitive idea about your bike, wait for it to come out. Do not buy either of the two prior editions. Neither covers the 1965 models (although some parts are referenced in general terms).

Last edited by panz4ever; 03-31-2020 at 11:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by panz4ever:
Captain Itch (03-31-2020), ChicagoBikeDriver (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 12:27 PM
kfelt
Advanced
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Front engine guard is later.

The following users liked this post:
panz4ever (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 12:35 PM
kfelt
Advanced
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Left front footboard mount is later. Should be square stock.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:38 PM
Groucho-17SGS
Cruiser

Thanks everyone. I knew this bike was far from original.

"If you take a close up of the welds on the muffler fish tail we can see if its an over the counter OEM muffler or an old repop"
- Fairly certain they are not OEM, the 64 has much heavier gauge steel and appears to possibly be OEM

Panz - thanks for the insight on the Palmer book, I was looking at them last night. Any word on the street when the 3rd edition may be coming out?

I understood the half-moon floorboards were correct (with exception of mount that kfelt identified). Would this style footboard also be correct for a 64?

I plan to pull the belly pan this weekend and see what the numbers look like. Anything I need to know about removing this pan?

scott

Old 03-31-2020, 08:03 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,339 Likes on 1,517 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho-17SGS
Thanks everyone. I knew this bike was far from original.

"If you take a close up of the welds on the muffler fish tail we can see if its an over the counter OEM muffler or an old repop"
- Fairly certain they are not OEM, the 64 has much heavier gauge steel and appears to possibly be OEM

Panz - thanks for the insight on the Palmer book, I was looking at them last night. Any word on the street when the 3rd edition may be coming out?

I understood the half-moon floorboards were correct (with exception of mount that kfelt identified). Would this style footboard also be correct for a 64?

I plan to pull the belly pan this weekend and see what the numbers look like. Anything I need to know about removing this pan?

scott
1. Probably mid to late summber on the 3rd edition

2. Yes on the footboards except they would be painted black and no chrome

3. Belly Numbers will be on the bottom outside edges of each case. if you do not have an engine guard getting at them should be easy. With the engine guard it is a bit more difficult to see but can be accompished.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:17 PM
Groucho-17SGS
Cruiser

Thanks Panz, will be under her this weekend looking for the numbers.

Old 04-05-2020, 05:49 PM
Groucho-17SGS
Cruiser

And we have a MATCH!!! Pulled the skid plate today and belly numbers match. Then I spent better part of 4 hrs. putting the skid plate back on. The left rear nut is damn near impossible to get started. Either way I now know I have matching cases.

Filled oil tank, added some oil to the transmission and put the battery in. Turned the switch and nothing. No lights, nothing. I have to assume there is a fuse somewhere that I will research and find to check. Or the ignition switch is bad. Looks like a next weekend project.

Serial number starts with FLH does that mean it was a hand shift originally? Current tank does not have anything on inside to indicate mounting points.

Last edited by Groucho-17SGS; 04-05-2020 at 06:09 PM.

Quick Reply: 65 Electraglide