Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

55 Panhead

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2019 | 05:59 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member

Flyboy, your new so I'm going to give you some free advice. Its worth every penny you paid.

Lighten up and try to be less defensive. There are some real ***-holes on this forum and you haven't even heard from them yet.

More over there are some fantastic people here with knowledge they will enthusiastically share with like minded individuals.

Keep us posted on progress and post some pictures as you go.

The following users liked this post:
Nick Sorgio (07-02-2020)
Old 12-23-2019 | 07:23 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Lots of talk, lots of opinions I agree and disagree with, your bike do what you want to do to it.

But, I can live with aftermarket parts, maybe they are there as a place holder until you find the right part. or sometimes the right part really is too expensive and we are going to live with aftermarket. But I will tell you from experience, aftermarket does not fit as well as OEM/NOS and quality is generally less then anything form the MoCo. Really. I had a bunch of aftermarket on the Flathead when I got her back on the road, but since then I have been spending my time and money making all of that go away. Every time I replace a Chinese part with the real deal, it fits on the bike better. Always. The aftermarket parts are not up to the same standards as the parts from Milwaukee, just the reality.

All of that said, lots of things can be changed later, including tins etc. But with the correct motor and transmission as my starting point, I would bite the bullet and find the correct frame. Yes expensive, but it is the foundation for everything. It will be money well spent in the long run.

It is funny how all of those +/- 1/32" in the aftermarket parts add up to the last part not fitting on the bike, just something to think about. Good luck.

Old 12-23-2019 | 08:30 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I dont like the fact I have repop tanks (little choice) for my 62 so much so that I wanted to at least run the original right tank but the mismatch was just too great. They're very different from OEM in the details yet a good match for each other that they look better together. Its something Ive been looking to replace only if I find a very nice set, price will be secondary at that point. I can't imagine building a repop bike though, the frustration and missing the mark (not to mention its chinese crap) it wouldn't be worth the savings. The flip side is if one doesn't know how bad it is compared to OEM having no reference for whats right then ignorance truly is bliss.

Old 12-23-2019 | 09:29 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Duracell
Flyboy, your new so I'm going to give you some free advice. Its worth every penny you paid.

But he's getting great value

Old 12-23-2019 | 10:10 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Flyboy1958
I just tried to Google Vtwin frames, and can only find one frame sold by J&P for a Duoglide......maybe these are no longer available,.....making this Panhead project more valuable. I do not yet have the bike physically in my possession as its 2000 miles away. Working on getting it shipped or planning to pick it up on a trip near by. Otherwise, I would provide pictures requested. I have seen the bike when my buddy lived near by.
Tedds (V-Twin) is still making them. Starts on page 628 of their 2019 catalog.

Old 12-23-2019 | 02:03 PM
Shovels & Vettes
|
Advanced

Yeah,.....I have been told to lighten up before, on other forums and in real life. I get it. I am just a person who has strong feelings about certain things, and when I write, or talk, people take me the wrong way. Its not that serious......it just sounds like it. And then,....there are those who think only "they" know the right stuff, and just don't like being challenged. I have come across many self proclaimed "experts" in lot of different fields, and found out they didn't know **** when it came down to it.

I know that much of the time aftermarket stuff for Harleys are not as good as factory, but some of it is. Anyways, once I take possession of the bike and parts, i will get some pictures. It might be awhile. I am in no hurry.

Last edited by Shovels & Vettes; 12-23-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-23-2019 | 04:38 PM
Shovels & Vettes
|
Advanced
Default Free

Originally Posted by hellonewman
But he's getting great value
What if you found out it is being given to me......?

Old 12-23-2019 | 05:04 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Riders Club Member

What if you found out it is being given to me......?
I meant the free info. As for your free bike parts if thats the case there's even less reason to whine about parts prices unless you're just tighter than bark on a tree and can't help it.

Old 12-23-2019 | 07:37 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Yeah,.....I have been told to lighten up before, on other forums and in real life. I get it. I am just a person who has strong feelings about certain things, and when I write, or talk, people take me the wrong way. Its not that serious......it just sounds like it. And then,....there are those who think only "they" know the right stuff, and just don't like being challenged. I have come across many self proclaimed "experts" in lot of different fields, and found out they didn't know **** when it came down to it.

I know that much of the time aftermarket stuff for Harleys are not as good as factory, but some of it is. Anyways, once I take possession of the bike and parts, i will get some pictures. It might be awhile. I am in no hurry.

Looking forward to see your bike. You will find out that the Panhead (and Shovelhead) folks are a good lot. Much more kick back type. I suscribe to several forums and this sub group is why I do so much more posting here