Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

55 Panhead

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2019 | 10:20 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Flyboy1958 "...Upside down to people who suggest that the value of anything is based on what someone will pay. Not what it is really worth." You just answered your own retort. Your builds are worth a great deal to you, but maybe not so to others, and then you get wound up because others do not agree with you.

Tawain Ted has improved a lot of their parts for sure, but they still (IMO) leave a lot to be desired. That said the value in a correctly "restored" bike is that it is assembled from OEM/NOS parts. And if aftermarket parts are used out of necessity it is on the seller to disclose that when the machine is offered for sale. So you can assemble the 55 from aftermarket parts and such, and after trying to make it looke better than new, offer it for sale at whtever price you want. Maybe you get your price point, maybe you don't. Think that most folks looking to plunk down 25K on a Pan are going to ask serious questions about the parts and the build, including documebtation and pictures. It is up to you at that point to make your case regarding your price point. If the buyer agrees, you get your price; if not he moves on and you wait for the next potential customer.

Great, you have your opinion on late 70s Vettes, great you have your opinion on late 70s Ironheads, great you have your opinion on Pans. Most come onto the Panhead and Shovelhead section to talk about builds, figure out problems with a bike they own or to share riding experiences about the old iron they own. At this time you seemingly choose something else. Great you have done it.

So, you gonna stay or are you gonna go? If you stay how about telling us what plans you have building the 55 up to running condition, and maybe share some pics of what you are starting out with.

Last edited by panz4ever; 12-22-2019 at 10:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Duracell (12-23-2019)
Old 12-22-2019 | 10:21 AM
Shovels & Vettes
|
Advanced

The Vtwin frame included with this titled 55 engine is at least twenty years old, and the quality is outstanding. Again, its better than Harley.

Old 12-22-2019 | 10:24 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Flyboy1958
Again, its better than Harley.
How? Better metal?

Old 12-22-2019 | 10:39 AM
Shovels & Vettes
|
Advanced
Default Fine

Originally Posted by panz4ever
"...Upside down to people who suggest that the value of anything is based on what someone will pay. Not what it is really worth." You just answered your own retort. Your builds are worth a great deal to you, but maybe not so to others, and then you get wound up because others do not agree with you.

Tawain Ted has improved a lot of their parts for sure, but they still (IMO) leave a lot to be desired. That said the value in a correctly "restored" bike is that it is assembled from OEM/NOS parts. And if aftermarket parts are used out of necessity it is on the seller to disclose that when the machine is offered for sale. So you can assemble the 55 from aftermarket parts and such, and after trying to make it looke better than new, offer it for sale at whtever price you want. Maybe you get your price point, maybe you don't. Think that most folks looking to plunk down 25K on a Pan are going to ask serious questions about the parts and the build, including documebtation and pictures. It is up to you at that point to make your case regarding your price point. If the buyer agrees, you get your price; if not he moves on and you wait for the next potential customer.

Great, you have your opinion on late 70s Vettes, great you have your opinion on late 70s Ironheads, great you have your opinion on Pans. Most come onto the Panhead and Shovelhead section to talk about builds, figure out problems with a bike they own or to share riding experiences about the old iron they own. At this time you seemingly choose something else. Great you have done it.

So, you gonna stay or are you gonna go? If you stay how about telling us what plans you have building the 55 up to running condition, and maybe share some pics of what you are starting out with.
Point taken, and I am more than willing to "move on" from the "value" subject. I know its like talking to the wall.

So, anyways. I am more of a fan of Electraglide shovels, but the Panhead has come to me through a friend. I certainly like the earlier models as well, i.e. Pan. I own a 04 Road King with 124,000 miles on it, and thats my bike to ride. The Vette is my car to drive. This panhead's purpose in my life is to start and finish another project, as I really enjoy the building. I have never ridden a rigid Pan, although many different HD's and other brand motorcycles. I love the simplicity of early bikes and cars, and is my attraction.

My concept for the bike would be to stick 100% to how the rigid frame Panheads came out of the factory. For me, the second you start "upgrading" an antique, it starts losing its character. When I built the 73 Shovel, I did that,.....and found it a big mistake. When I built the Vette, I stuck closer to original, but still did performance upgrades. For this Panhead, I think I would stick 100% to how it was built....generator, 6 volt, points, spring solo seat, etc. I see no reason to do any upgrading at all. Even the finish of the bike, I think I would try to avoid too much shiny stuff, i.e. no chrome where it did not belong. Even the paint, I might go less shiney. I thought about purposely trying to build it with "patina", but when I have seen it, it is still fake looking. I just don't want shiny urethane paint,....so maybe put some flattener i the paint, or topcoat satin clear. The powerdercoating on the frame could be satin sheen. I know that when I see over-restored old bikes, it turns me off, so.....? Its challenging when you try to restore to a "used" finish.

Mainly, I would want to experience the reality of a kick start, points ignition, 6 volt Panhead. Since I have no intention of selling the bike as an original 55, nor am I seeking out original parts at ridiculous prices, I might build it with what I see the most attractive options of the Panhead era......for example, love the early 49 tank badges more than the 55 tank badges. The panhead fender tips seem to be no longer produced, so I am not paying $200 for an original fender trim.....so might go with Duoglide tips, but would hate to do that as it is not correct. I love springer front ends, but the price is too high for me, so it would be hydraulic. Primary and secondary would be stock style chains. No spot lamps, no doo dads, no saddlebags, no tombstone tail light. Would prefer the Police Solo Deluxe seat, but hate the prices on them, but appears few choices. I have not decided on tank shift versus mousetrap?? Would use the replica style tires, most likely on black rims and hubs. Tanks and fender colors would most likely be early era dark red, with black wheels, black tins, black speedo housing, black tail light housing. Or maybe the Hollywood Green scheme?? So you could call it the showcase bike for the best of the 49-57 HD.

Appreciate any comments on tank shift versus mousetrap shifting, and any comments on what a rigid pan is like to ride. They are such small bikes compared to newer touring bikes, I suspect they are easy to ride. I know the brakes probably suck, but given the bike is so light, I imagine they are adequate. I certainly would not upgrade brakes.

Finally, I would ride the bike alot.....it will be no garage queen. My main goal is to experience the ride and character of a rigid panhead,.....just as HD built it. That is the fun for me. I love building, but love riding just as much. I have to have both or I am not satisfied. I hate it that people have beautiful old vehicles, whether bikes, cars or airplanes, .......and they never take them out and use them for what they were built for. Its a shame and a loss.

So, maybe now that I have said the above, its more important to me to have a Panhead that provides me with a bike that is truly built to the character of a real 55 Panhead, so that I can ride it, maintain it, and experience it.......which is way more important to me than the "financial value" that can be left to you purists and salesman. For that purpose, I think aftermarket parts will be just fine.

Last edited by Shovels & Vettes; 12-22-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-22-2019 | 10:49 AM
Shovels & Vettes
|
Advanced
Default Better

Originally Posted by hellonewman
How? Better metal?
No, the welding is superior......but not that it matters. This is bone simple stuff. Its a bunch of bent metal tubes into castings or forgings. I am not saying HD frames are junk, but I am also not buying that this Vtwin frame is junk. Unless it turns out that mounting tabs are not in the right places, or its somehow a bent frame (eyeballing it, its perfect). Otherwise, again, this frame is as good, or better than a HD frame. It is not that complicated.

Old 12-22-2019 | 11:05 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

K...now we arre talking. Just a suggestion. You can upgrade the 6 volt system to a 12. Not cheap but worth the money. ebeyond 2000 http://www.ebeyond2000.net/quickstart.html Its a drop in system and until you remove the cover on your timer, you can't tell it's there. That would allow you to use a 12 volt CycleElectric generator and voltage regulator (American made and very reliable). The one real problem with running a points system is the availability of quality aftermarket points and condenser (especially the condensers).

Tank shift takes some getting used to; mousetrap takes a bit more time to set up, but once you've done it is a nice shift set up. Another option (tho not coerrect for the Panhead era) is a mousetrap eliminatior (used on later Shovelhead models). Definitely save you some money. Haven't seen any bargain prices (even for aftermarket new ones) on mousetrap assemblies. Just a thought.

A rigid frame pan will make you grin and grimace. Just run a few pounds less air in the rear tire and you have as close to rear shocks as you are going to get.

Old 12-22-2019 | 11:16 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

No, the welding is superior......but not that it matters. This is bone simple stuff. Its a bunch of bent metal tubes into castings or forgings. I am not saying HD frames are junk, but I am also not buying that this Vtwin frame is junk. Unless it turns out that mounting tabs are not in the right places, or its somehow a bent frame (eyeballing it, its perfect). Otherwise, again, this frame is as good, or better than a HD frame. It is not that complicated.
You sure it is a Tedds frame? I din't think they had been making them for 20+ years; thought it was only the last 10 or so. Maybe you have a Pauchgo frame or one made by Jammer or Krafttec?

Helped a buddy with a Pan several years back. He had one of Tedds frame. Looked nice but the mounting tabs for the transmission plate was off by 3/4". He sent it back; they sent him another and it was correctly done. Glad the one you have (whatever the brand) works. Save a lot of money and figuring stuff out to make it fit.

Old 12-22-2019 | 12:10 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

The Vtwin frame included with this titled 55 engine is at least twenty years old, and the quality is outstanding. Again, its better than Harley.
I sold my 1926 JD last year - the earlier one in the frames were the same and as board track racers - and they were faster in 1912 then the fastest fighter plain at the end of WW1 and that was plus 120 MPH

in the 50s the frames were again bullet proof - you can believe what you want - and I guess your doing what is un real to believe -

in selling basket case sportys for 2 thousand more then anyone else in the world can - WOW good on you

Old 12-23-2019 | 04:59 AM
Shovels & Vettes
|
Advanced
Default ???

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
I sold my 1926 JD last year - the earlier one in the frames were the same and as board track racers - and they were faster in 1912 then the fastest fighter plain at the end of WW1 and that was plus 120 MPH

in the 50s the frames were again bullet proof - you can believe what you want - and I guess your doing what is un real to believe -

in selling basket case sportys for 2 thousand more then anyone else in the world can - WOW good on you
OK, not sure what JD has to do with this conversation, but anyways, I just made a guess on the date the frame I am talking about was built. I know for a fact it was before 2008. So it is at least 12 years old. And at the time VTwin catalog listed frames for all the Panhead and Shovelhead era bikes. They were not Paughco, Kraft Tech or anything like them. These VTwin frames look almost exactly like the original HD frame, with forgings and tabs all accurate reproductions......although I am not saying they have "numbers" cast in. It would take a numbers expert to tell the difference between these Vtwin frames and original HD.

As for the fact I sold a project Sportster for $5000, again.......the buyer was smart enough to value what he was getting. Does it not make a difference that I had receipt from Truett & Osborn for a complete bottom end rebuild, cylinder head rebuild, and cylinder honing for $1600. The frame was blasted and powdercoated. And the front forks and front end was completely rebuilt and mounted. This is VALUE. You suggest the bike was sold for $2000 more than it was worth, meaing $3000, and that does not account for the work done and the value of money already spent. Yes, the rest of the bike was disassembled......so what.? You go buy a $2000 pile of parts or even an assembled Sportster for $3000, and its not the same value as what this guy bought from me. Its a simple equation to me. You have to be smart enough to know what you are getting when you buy anything, and apply the proper value judgement on it. Every bike or project is not the same. Its people looking to steal something from someone, or PC culture would call it, "getting a good deal" on something. When I sell something, I am not trying to provide a "good deal" to someone, I am selling it for its actual value,......not providing a "steal" for somebody.OR in other words, I get screwed and lose money. And yes, sometimes that means you have to find the right buyer......in the case of the Sportster, I put it on Ebay, and it was bought seven days later.

Last edited by Shovels & Vettes; 12-23-2019 at 05:07 AM.
Old 12-23-2019 | 05:10 AM
Shovels & Vettes
|
Advanced
Default ???

I just tried to Google Vtwin frames, and can only find one frame sold by J&P for a Duoglide......maybe these are no longer available,.....making this Panhead project more valuable. I do not yet have the bike physically in my possession as its 2000 miles away. Working on getting it shipped or planning to pick it up on a trip near by. Otherwise, I would provide pictures requested. I have seen the bike when my buddy lived near by.

Last edited by Shovels & Vettes; 12-23-2019 at 05:14 AM.

Quick Reply: 55 Panhead