Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

oil problem on 65 Electraglide

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 04:00 PM
redinthehead
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil problem on 65 Electraglide

I am having a problem with my 65 Electraglide. It had been sitting for approximately 10 years. The previous owner was my brother so I know he took care of it. Any way to the meat of the story. I was able to get it running the first time I tried with little to no effort. She fired right up!! I haven't rode it yet I need to replace the brake lines, But I have run it about 10 times with no problems only letting her run for under 10 minutes so she didn't get to hot under the collar. Last night I start her and after about five minutes the crank case breather tube starts spitting oil out. prior to this all I would have after running her would be about a half dollar under her. I know the first thing you will say is that the scavenger pump is gone, but could it be a stuck check valve or something else? How can I verify that the Scavenger pump is not gone??

Any help would be appreciated.

Red

Old 05-16-2007, 05:53 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts
Default RE: oil problem on 63 Electraglide

There is a check valve to prevent the oil in the tank from draining into the bottom end. If that check ball/seat is bad the oil spits out at startup, but stops when the cases are empty. If it isn't spitting out at startup, but does after a short period of running, then it surely sounds like the scavenge side of the pump is toast, though it is possible something is blocking the return line. While this is going on have you looked into the oil bag to see if any is returning from the scavenge pump?

Do you have any sort of manual for this finemachine?

BTW, the '63 is a Duo-Glide, not an Electra-Glide. Electra came about in '65. Tossed that in so if you go buying something from a parts joint they don't look at you funny.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:04 PM
redinthehead
Novice
Default RE: oil problem on 65 Electraglide

Hi Skip,
I Had a typo in the subject didn't even notice it until you said something. It is a 65 NOT a 63!! I do have a harley shop manual for it. I do not think It was pushing oil out of the vent when I first started it and at the time I didn't look in the oil tank to see if the scavenger was pushing oil back. I will check it out. In the manual it shows an oil schematic of the engine and it shows the chain oiler being off of the same passage as the crank breather. Maybe I am miss reading the diagram because that doesn't seem right to me. But hey I have been called stupid before!! Check out your sugestions tonight.

Thanks Red

Old 05-16-2007, 08:06 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Puking out the breather after sitting is a known complaint.Remove check ball relap and replace with even new spring should help.Remember bike has been sitting and dirt under seat could be problem too.Check to see if oil is returning to oil tank esp reving engine.Check the breather screen in cam chest for sludge etc if problem continues.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:35 PM
redinthehead
Novice

Thanks Pittguy,
More good comments to consider I appreciate it!

Red

Old 05-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Oldtimer of NM
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing to check is the vent line that goes to the oil tank. If that is clogged or kinked, it will puke out of the lower vent. It's rare, but the timed vent valve might have gotten out of time too.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:32 AM
redinthehead
Novice

Well I looked in the oiltank and low and behold it is almost empty!! Look under the bike no big spot, hmm I say either the oil ferry has figured out how to steal my oil as well or it is all in the bottom of the crankcase. So the next big question I looked in my service manual and I do not see a tool shown for lapping the check ball seat. Pittguy you know of a partnumber on that tool?

Thanks
red

Old 05-19-2007, 03:28 AM
Hal64hd
Road Master

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

make your own tool weld a steel pushrod to a old ball and use lapping compound best to take the body off and flush out really good and replace with new ball

Old 03-13-2021, 08:57 PM
chaz976
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil check valve

Originally Posted by redinthehead
Well I looked in the oiltank and low and behold it is almost empty!! Look under the bike no big spot, hmm I say either the oil ferry has figured out how to steal my oil as well or it is all in the bottom of the crankcase. So the next big question I looked in my service manual and I do not see a tool shown for lapping the check ball seat. Pittguy you know of a partnumber on that tool?

Thanks
red
where is this check valve located l need to check this check myself 91 electraglide spits a bunch... thanks

Old 03-13-2021, 09:07 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,856 Likes on 3,021 Posts

The post is from 2007

evo has a different oil pump BUt look up sumping and re seating the intake ball in the pump