Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

Dad's '51 Panhead

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 09:52 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,519 Posts

Just blew up your pic and I saw the 'special construction" tag on the right down tube. What does the reg say it is?

The right case is late 1952 (the tappet creen plug gives it away). There should be a belly number that will also help id the right side case. There will be none on the left case since it is aftermarket.

There is an adjustment screw for the primary chain on the oil pump. You have a 4-fin primary cover. Starting from the top down (1st-4th), look just to your left and slightly down and you will see an adjustment screw on the bottom of the oil pump. That is the adjusment screw for the primary chain. HDs operated on a total loss system until 1965. The fact that oil was diverted from the motor to the primary and the dripped to the ground gave credence to the thought that Harleys always marked their spot.

The key to oiling the primary chain is to end up with about a spot about the size of a half-dollar on the ground. The adjustment screw has a very fine tip so if you crank on it too hard you damage the tip and it will not seat properly.

I think places like J&P still sell washers that go between the adjustment screw and the nut to ensure that you get the proper amount of oil to the chain.

Last edited by panz4ever; 05-03-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:49 PM
cary713
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info!
I don't have the registration/title yet - waiting for relatives to mail it to me.

So, are you saying that the primary being empty is OK?
Damn, I was thinking I needed to pour a bunch of oil in it

It does leave a spot about that size on my garage floor - I thought that needed to be fixed as well.

Shows how much I have to learn about old bikes.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:51 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

yes dry clutch...the breather vapor lubes the primary chain.

I have a primo belt drive inside my stock tins so I could route the vapor to the ground

mike

Old 05-03-2015, 11:48 PM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain
Received 327 Likes on 197 Posts

cary, sorry to hear about your dad but it’s good you’re retaining the bike in memory of him.
Is there confusion regarding what’s being called the shift rod? You ordered one on eBay? Or do you mean you ordered a clutch lever rod which is number 5 on page 230 of that SM?

The shift rod is number 18 and I can see the shift rod on the bike. And the shift rod end (10) does not connect to the bell crank. In the photo, the shift rod end is not on the bike but it would attach to the gear shift lever (15). Perhaps the missing pieces for the shifter assembly and mousetrap assembly are lying around somewhere nearby? If you need pictures of the two assemblies let me know and I’ll post pages from my H-D parts catalog.

As mentioned above, the left case appears to be aftermarket. Notice it has MG cast in. I’m not sure who made that case but I heard there was a company called Motorcycle Goodies in the 70s so that may be a possibility but I am NOT sure about this. Another example I have seen that was alleged to be from Motorcycle Goodies only has G cast in, not MG. Perhaps someone else can ID the case and give us the real story.

The R-H case is somewhere from mid/later-52 to 62 inclusive. The belly number should be formatted similar to the following example: 152-1234. The first character is a code number and will probably be 1. The next two characters indicate year. The remaining characters indicate sequential production.

The ignition timer may not be Mallory. I have Mallory ignition on my Pan and my timer does not look like that. Yours may just be a Harley timer that has been chromed.
Eric

Old 05-04-2015, 07:46 AM
cary713
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

{{Is there confusion regarding what’s being called the shift rod? You ordered one on eBay? Or do you mean you ordered a clutch lever rod which is number 5 on page 230 of that SM?
If you need pictures of the two assemblies let me know and I’ll post pages from my H-D parts catalog.}}

Yes, it is the clutch lever I ordered (around 22" long). Any pics you have of the assembly would be helpful. Especially of the mousetrap.
The shifter pedal needs to be replaced as well. I'm not sure if you can see it, but it's pretty tore up. The bracket may be bent also, as the (#11) nut on the shift rod hits and gets caught on a nut on the casing when trying to shift.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:21 AM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain

Thanks for the confirmation, cary. I'm having trouble putting text and images in the one reply so I'll submit a few consecutive posts. There will be info re the clutch booster, gear shifter and jiffy stand. Let me know if you need anything further.
Eric

Old 05-04-2015, 10:25 AM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain
Old 05-04-2015, 10:26 AM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain
Old 05-04-2015, 10:28 AM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain