Pan America curious

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2024, 07:49 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,696 Likes on 1,393 Posts
Default Pan America curious

Greetings,

Currently, on a 2022 RG 107 with cams, suspension upgrades and ergo mods. Previous bike was a 2013 Dyna Switchback (loved that bike) also with cams, suspension and ergo mods.

I like, but don't love the RG. Terrific touring bike, but for everyday stuff, I find it a bit ponderous. Sadly, since the demise of the Dynas, nothing else in a cruiser platform from HD interests me, and Indians...aint interested.

This brings me to the PA. I had test ridden one when they were 1st introduced. Thought the engine was very loud with valve chatter at idle, could have used a higher and more rearward handlebar, but the handling, engine, brakes and suspension were fantastic.

How has long term ownership been?
Has the ARH been reliable?
What quirks are there with the bike? I've read something that when at full lock on the fork, the windshield is getting bumped?
How is heat?
How is it for touring?
How is weather protection?
Reliability / durability?
Other?
Service?

Greatly appreciated

Last edited by rauchman; 08-01-2024 at 09:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
North of You (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 08:23 AM
North of You
Cruiser
Received 231 Likes on 89 Posts

As an owner of a gen one…

Best bike I have ever owned. If I had to sell my RGS or this….Im keeping the PAS.

Not one issue.

What quirks are there with the bike? I've read something that when at full lock on the fork, the windshield is getting bumped?
Have never had that happen. One quirk is that a fair amount of traditional HD riders won’t wave back as they don’t know it’s a HD. But meh…. I tour with chain cleaner and lube and a brush, the chain is something you need to stay ahead of as it likes to stretch towards the end of its life.

How is heat?
Have taken it down through Arizona, and it’s about the same as the RGS in the heat I think.

How is it for touring?
I prefer this over the bagger on long trips. It can do so much more, and is more comfortable than the Bagger.

Not as good as my car 😉

Read the forums, it’s mostly the same issues that crop up. Most of these (I think) have been solved with the later versions of the bike.
It likes to wear out rear tires. I have gone through two rear and one front. They are a bit softer than usual, and giving her the beans from a stop light is just so much fun. That might have something to do with that. Make sure tire pressure is up to speck before you ride, I check it every morning before a ride. Had a replace the fuel pump, chain, rear wheel isolator, and then the usual air filters and spark plugs.

Other?
Get a Garmin if you plan on longer trips. I replaced the seat, as the stock one gives me swamp a$$ after a few hours. I put on risers that give me better reach. Now I can do more miles than the bagger before I have to take a break. I also tour with a jiffy stand coaster, it likes to sink into hot asphalt.

Service?
Have dropped in on a few different HD dealers around the mid west, and they seem to be becoming more popular than you think. Service and parts aren’t an issue.

And, there are some deals to be had out there also, take a look around. It’s the best bike I have ever owned.

Last edited by North of You; 08-01-2024 at 08:59 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by North of You:
luckiestiff (08-01-2024), rauchman (08-01-2024), Vec (08-03-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 10:19 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,696 Likes on 1,393 Posts

Originally Posted by North of You
As an owner of a gen one…

Best bike I have ever owned. If I had to sell my RGS or this….Im keeping the PAS.

Not one issue.

Have never had that happen. One quirk is that a fair amount of traditional HD riders won’t wave back as they don’t know it’s a HD. But meh…. I tour with chain cleaner and lube and a brush, the chain is something you need to stay ahead of as it likes to stretch towards the end of its life.

How is heat?
Have taken it down through Arizona, and it’s about the same as the RGS in the heat I think.

How is it for touring?
I prefer this over the bagger on long trips. It can do so much more, and is more comfortable than the Bagger.

Not as good as my car 😉

Read the forums, it’s mostly the same issues that crop up. Most of these (I think) have been solved with the later versions of the bike.
It likes to wear out rear tires. I have gone through two rear and one front. They are a bit softer than usual, and giving her the beans from a stop light is just so much fun. That might have something to do with that. Make sure tire pressure is up to speck before you ride, I check it every morning before a ride. Had a replace the fuel pump, chain, rear wheel isolator, and then the usual air filters and spark plugs.

Other?
Get a Garmin if you plan on longer trips. I replaced the seat, as the stock one gives me swamp a$$ after a few hours. I put on risers that give me better reach. Now I can do more miles than the bagger before I have to take a break. I also tour with a jiffy stand coaster, it likes to sink into hot asphalt.

Service?
Have dropped in on a few different HD dealers around the mid west, and they seem to be becoming more popular than you think. Service and parts aren’t an issue.

And, there are some deals to be had out there also, take a look around. It’s the best bike I have ever owned.
Terrific info....thank you

Some more questions....

You mention yours is a Gen 1. Is there a Gen 2?
Any experience with 2 up on this bike?

Old 08-01-2024, 10:32 AM
North of You
Cruiser

Gen 1 is just my way of saying “first year”, which is usually where all the bugs are.

No experience with two up riding.

rauchman (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 11:11 AM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,346 Posts

There's no official "Gen 2", they're largely the same as when they were introduced, but the '24+ models get an upgraded electrical system. Some folks have been bedeviled by electrical gremlins, some have never had a problem, but several of those who had electrical issues said they were solved by getting a bigger, lithium battery.

The following 2 users liked this post by FatBob2018:
North of You (08-01-2024), rauchman (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 12:43 PM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member

Received 2,768 Likes on 1,177 Posts

@North of You Good comments. I think a lot of big v-twin riders would like a big or mid-size adv if they ever tried one. Power, handling, < 600lbs, upright riding position, wind protection, storage, decent off road. The PA is a fine adv and there are other options if you need lower cost, more power, inline 2 or 3, V4, or a side-to-side shake on startup.

rauchman (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 12:59 PM
FLHTPatrick
Tourer
Received 184 Likes on 112 Posts

I test rode one last summer and really liked it. I can justify owning two bikes right now, but if I could, the PA would be a contender for that spot.

rauchman (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 01:11 PM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member

Received 2,768 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHTPatrick
I test rode one last summer and really liked it. I can justify owning two bikes right now, but if I could, the PA would be a contender for that spot.
I cannot justify one bike. Therefore, my limit is divorce-1.

Old 08-01-2024, 11:43 PM
North of You
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tngarren
I cannot justify one bike. Therefore, my limit is divorce-1.
I have survived two divorces. So in a way, I traded in two ex wives for two motorcycles…… The motorcycles treat me better. When I have had a snout full of whiskey (Bourbon….thank you my Yank friends) and it’s late at night, and I jump on top of one of the bikes, they don’t complain like my exes did.

Winning.

The following 3 users liked this post by North of You:
fwg1961 (08-03-2024), redfin00 (08-16-2024), tngarren (08-03-2024)
Old 08-02-2024, 09:43 AM
DavesEagle
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Got mine in May '22, 12k miles so far. I agree with "North of You" comments.

Although I think the heat off motor is worse than my '18 RGU - found it 100% necessary to have comfortable highway pegs to raise legs away from the heat off engine on any day above 90F.

For touring comfort, we are all different but for me the PanAm required highway pegs, A1 bar risers, Magstad windshield, Corbin seat, larger foot pegs, Garmin,different mirrors and handguards. Now I find it the best adventure touring bike. Weather protection fine for me; aftermarket shield, heated seat, good panniers needed. Basically need to set up your "cockpit" riding position etc. for your riding comfort - stock set-up was way off for me and once modified I love it..

You will find many complaints of service issues, as always on line forums attract problem reports. Seems that the "issue rate" is higher than other HD models for sure but for mine it has been just minor. ARH been flawless and great feature. Yes I had rad hose issue, starter replaced at 10k and a quirk is to learn to turn on and always wait for screen/electronics to go thru their start up for ~30 seconds before hitting ignition start to avoid weird tech glitches that will drive you crazy. That simple start up procedure suggested by a tech has cleared up 100% of them.

Chain check/adjust a must and easy as I have had chain bikes for years. I use a great service shop for most needs and not cheap (labor hours) as just to get to air filter tank removal needed.

The PanAm riding modes are a dream to have and work flawlessly if you enjoy mix up of riding in true adventure

riding.

The following 2 users liked this post by DavesEagle:
jprovida (08-02-2024), rauchman (08-04-2024)

Quick Reply: Pan America curious