Pan America Pan America Forum Only

23 vs 24 Risks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2024, 06:11 PM
BenGurion
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Highwaymans
Personally, both are a serious amount of $$$$ and you're going to take a serious bath on both for resale (if) you hop on and are miserable after rides and soon stop riding again altogether (were not talking V Strom kinda money). You said you've had a long break and I'd seriously suggest you first rent one of these heavy / tall bikes first for a few days and go from there.

Personally the GSA or RT is primo and I'm in the market now to replace my current large ADV. If PA was my choice, I'd absolutely only go with the latest model and least bugs (though for me shaft drive is a deal breaker)
I know what you mean. Im anxiously waiting for a release date for the R1300RT. I seriously looked at the 24 1250RT but couldn't justify $30k+/- without the blind spot detection. (knowing the 2025 1300RT will have it)

I bet Harley adds rear radar to their touring bikes within the next two years.

Not a deal breaker for me, but definitely a consideration.

Old 07-14-2024, 06:21 PM
BenGurion
Cruiser

BTW..i even test rode a can am spyder a few weeks ago. Talk about ultimate comfort. Ok, bring on the spyder hate. :-)

Old 07-14-2024, 06:27 PM
silverbulletking
Cruiser
Received 100 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by BenGurion
Interesting. You don't find the lack of back support makes the pain worse? Do you step on the peg to get on it, or throw a leg over? Also a factor for lower back issues.
I'm still limber enough that I can throw a leg over with ease with or without the Auto Ride Height set, I'm a tic over 6'. You can always step on the peg too, I've seen a plenty of guys mount up that way. The rear pillion acts as lower back support and if you want more, saddlemen makes a few seats with and without a lower backrest in both regular and low height- https://saddlemen.com/index.php?rout...89,823&search=

The following 2 users liked this post by silverbulletking:
BenGurion (07-14-2024), rauchman (07-31-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 06:59 PM
BenGurion
Cruiser

Originally Posted by silverbulletking
I'm still limber enough that I can throw a leg over with ease with or without the Auto Ride Height set, I'm a tic over 6'. You can always step on the peg too, I've seen a plenty of guys mount up that way. The rear pillion acts as lower back support and if you want more, saddlemen makes a few seats with and without a lower backrest in both regular and low height- https://saddlemen.com/index.php?rout...89,823&search=
I just checked out saddlemen site...the seat backrest option looks very interesting....wonder how comfy that seat would be.

The following users liked this post:
silverbulletking (07-14-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 08:54 PM
silverbulletking
Cruiser
Received 100 Likes on 60 Posts

I just checked out saddlemen site...the seat backrest option looks very interesting....wonder how comfy that seat would be.
I've had a Saddlemen seat on every H-D I've owned except the Pan Am. After trying a bunch of other seats on my first Sportster, I bought a Saddlemen. From that point on, it was my 1st purchase whenever I bought a new H-D, they're the most comfortable seats I've sat on. But the OE Pan Am seat is very comfortable itself, so much so that I kept it. It's the 1st H-D seat I didn't immediately change out. If or when I wear out my OE Pan Am seat though, I'll buy a Saddlemen.

BenGurion (07-14-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 02:23 PM
wmprof
Road Master
Received 1,291 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by silverbulletking
The suspension cannot be beat, on that one ride I hit a bump and them went looking for more. I ran over every piece of broken road, pothole, and speedbump I could find; I'm not joking. Take a Pan Am out, go to the custom setting for ride modes, A or B. Set the throttle at whatever tickles your fancy, Street is toned down and smooth, but I now prefer Sport for the hit. Then set the suspension on "Comfort". Nothing I've ever ridden is this plush on a long trip. Plus, the bike auto-adjusts the suspension for weight.
I was jonesing for another Road Glide, but with my spinal stenosis the PAS can't be beat.

Would never buy another bike without the electronic suspension, and this setup is better than others.

btw, NOT a fan of adaptive cruise, especially on a motorcycle. Blind spot and auto braking might be okay on a car, but on a bike I am in full control/attention anyway. YMMV.

silverbulletking (07-15-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 06:59 PM
BenGurion
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wmprof
I was jonesing for another Road Glide, but with my spinal stenosis the PAS can't be beat.

Would never buy another bike without the electronic suspension, and this setup is better than others.

btw, NOT a fan of adaptive cruise, especially on a motorcycle. Blind spot and auto braking might be okay on a car, but on a bike I am in full control/attention anyway. YMMV.
how specifically is the PA better for your stenosis?

Old 07-17-2024, 10:43 AM
wmprof
Road Master
Received 1,291 Likes on 443 Posts

how specifically is the PA better for your stenosis?
Feet underneath me vs feet forward is biggest thing. No jarring suspension is huge also. I could only ride my touring or softail bikes a couple hours and then laid up for several days. I can ride four to six hours on PAS without bad pain. Stenosis causes pain whenever standing or walking even when I don't ride. Won't be doing without my cycletherapy as long as I can.

The following 3 users liked this post by wmprof:
BenGurion (07-18-2024), North of You (07-18-2024), tvon (07-24-2024)