Pan America Pan America Forum Only

23 vs 24 Risks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2024, 08:54 AM
ChocolateCake
Cruiser
Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Have an early model year 2022 Pan Am S I like very much. Issues with my suspension not dropping but that doesn't really bother me maybe they'll goodwill a repair at my next service.

Thought the 1300GSA was great looking and a shaft-drive makes me want one but I do love my PanAm .

nice video on upgrades:

The following users liked this post:
rauchman (07-31-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 01:10 PM
Pete Schumacher
Stage I
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I too had some health issues and thought I was going to be finished riding. I started researching the ADV bikes since they offer a more upright riding position than touring bikes. I ended up selling my 2017 Ultra it was too much weight and top heavy for me anymore at slow speeds and made me uncomfortable in city traffic. I purchased a '24 PAS and love it. It's about 400 lbs lighter than what I'm used to, I can easily get my legs down and the adjustable ride height makes it easy to manage in traffic. Th 150 hp and cornering / suspension is amazing. It will spend 98% on road most likely. I added the hard top/side panniers and 2" riser so far. Another good option is the GS either 1250 or 1300 and the Africa Twin.

The following 3 users liked this post by Pete Schumacher:
BenGurion (07-13-2024), tngarren (07-14-2024), vabergie (08-14-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 02:33 PM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member

Received 2,768 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocolateCake

Thought the 1300GSA was great looking
You have got to be kidding. Needlessly tall, overweight, and it looks like giant BMW fobs are stuck on each side of the tank.

Old 07-12-2024, 02:53 PM
ChocolateCake
Cruiser
Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

thought this video and photo showed off the 1300 very well

Old 07-13-2024, 10:17 AM
BenGurion
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fwg1961
I have had a 21 and a 24 Pan America and i would definitely go for a 24 over an earlier bike. For what it's worth I also have a Tracer 900GT, which I like but I take the PA over the Tracer almost every time. I will give you a smoking deal on the Yamaha if you want one.
I've ruled out the Yamaha. But thanks!

Old 07-13-2024, 10:37 AM
BenGurion
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Pete Schumacher
I too had some health issues and thought I was going to be finished riding. I started researching the ADV bikes since they offer a more upright riding position than touring bikes. I ended up selling my 2017 Ultra it was too much weight and top heavy for me anymore at slow speeds and made me uncomfortable in city traffic. I purchased a '24 PAS and love it. It's about 400 lbs lighter than what I'm used to, I can easily get my legs down and the adjustable ride height makes it easy to manage in traffic. Th 150 hp and cornering / suspension is amazing. It will spend 98% on road most likely. I added the hard top/side panniers and 2" riser so far. Another good option is the GS either 1250 or 1300 and the Africa Twin.
I like that the GS1300 has blind spot monitoring and adaptive cruise control.

Idahoboi (07-14-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 11:10 AM
BenGurion
Cruiser

After multiple visits to the dealership, im still deciding between the PA and Road Glide. Woke up today with bad neck and lower back pain and it has me wondering if the RG's lower ride height and available backrest would be better. (despite the added weight over the PA). Ugh..getting older sucks :-)

silverbulletking (07-14-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 01:58 PM
silverbulletking
Cruiser
Received 100 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by BenGurion
After multiple visits to the dealership, im still deciding between the PA and Road Glide. Woke up today with bad neck and lower back pain and it has me wondering if the RG's lower ride height and available backrest would be better. (despite the added weight over the PA). Ugh..getting older sucks :-)
I have a bad back and neck myself (6 procedures and counting) and I moved from a Road King to the Pan Am after 1 ride. The suspension cannot be beat, on that one ride I hit a bump and them went looking for more. I ran over every piece of broken road, pothole, and speedbump I could find; I'm not joking. Take a Pan Am out, go to the custom setting for ride modes, A or B. Set the throttle at whatever tickles your fancy, Street is toned down and smooth, but I now prefer Sport for the hit. Then set the suspension on "Comfort". Nothing I've ever ridden is this plush on a long trip. Plus, the bike auto-adjusts the suspension for weight. It's so much easier to move around my garage than my Road King too.

I've never had a bike where I wasn't looking at a different bike and considering if it might be better until the Pan Am. I even went and bought a 5 year extension on the ESP (extended warranty) because I plan on having it for a long time.

The following 4 users liked this post by silverbulletking:
BenGurion (07-14-2024), North of You (07-17-2024), rauchman (07-31-2024), wmprof (07-15-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 03:03 PM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 339 Posts

Personally, both are a serious amount of $$$$ and you're going to take a serious bath on both for resale (if) you hop on and are miserable after rides and soon stop riding again altogether (were not talking V Strom kinda money). You said you've had a long break and I'd seriously suggest you first rent one of these heavy / tall bikes first for a few days and go from there.

Personally the GSA or RT is primo and I'm in the market now to replace my current large ADV. If PA was my choice, I'd absolutely only go with the latest model and least bugs (though for me shaft drive is a deal breaker)

Last edited by Highwaymans; 07-14-2024 at 03:05 PM.
BenGurion (07-14-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 06:03 PM
BenGurion
Cruiser

Originally Posted by silverbulletking
I have a bad back and neck myself (6 procedures and counting) and I moved from a Road King to the Pan Am after 1 ride. The suspension cannot be beat, on that one ride I hit a bump and them went looking for more. I ran over every piece of broken road, pothole, and speedbump I could find; I'm not joking. Take a Pan Am out, go to the custom setting for ride modes, A or B. Set the throttle at whatever tickles your fancy, Street is toned down and smooth, but I now prefer Sport for the hit. Then set the suspension on "Comfort". Nothing I've ever ridden is this plush on a long trip. Plus, the bike auto-adjusts the suspension for weight. It's so much easier to move around my garage than my Road King too.

I've never had a bike where I wasn't looking at a different bike and considering if it might be better until the Pan Am. I even went and bought a 5 year extension on the ESP (extended warranty) because I plan on having it for a long time.
Interesting. You don't find the lack of back support makes the pain worse? Do you step on the peg to get on it, or throw a leg over? Also a factor for lower back issues.

Quick Reply: 23 vs 24 Risks?