Pan America Pan America Forum Only

H-D Rider Planner/app and Use on TFT

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 03:08 PM
08518 biker
Intermediate
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default H-D Rider Planner/app and Use on TFT

Is there anyone out there that isn't having an issue using the Pan America's TFT as the primary GPS, while paired with a cellphone in your pocket?

I love my 2020 Road Glide Special, and the GPS that comes in the Boom Box. My handle bars are clear of GPS units, cell phones, etc. I've been using Harley's Ride Planner app to wirelessly transfer routes to the Boom Box flawlessly for the last couple years, while fellow riders in my HOG chapter are still passing around thumb drives. I design my rides either with the route planner itself, or import the gpx files to the H-D app from other programs. There was a learning curve but I think the H-D app works fine.

Now I am considering adding a Pan America Special to my garage (bike #2) and am excited about it being 300+ lbs lighter. I want to use the TFT as my GPS. I see on YouTube that so many folks hate the TFT/Harley app interface. I understand that the TFT is using the GPS capability of the cell phone and does not have a internal GPS like my Road Glide. From my BMW experience, I understand that if I download the maps of the states I am traveling in, having a cell connection is not a factor since the maps are already on the phone (they don't need to be downloaded via cell signal while you are riding), and the GPS signal is coming directly to the phone from overhead, not from a cell tower.

I have never seen a video where someone speaks well of the TFT/GPS/cell phone interface on the Pan America. I am hoping there is someone out there that shows the setup working well.

Last edited by 08518 biker; 01-05-2024 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-05-2024, 05:09 PM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Don't waste your time. Buy a Garmin XT, or XT2 & you will be happy. You can use your Ride Planner files on the Garmin. The HD app is awful!

Old 01-06-2024, 06:25 AM
Moogoomike
Advanced
Received 114 Likes on 47 Posts

You will be much happier if you forget that the Pan America can be paired to anything. Garmin Zumo is the answer.

The following users liked this post:
tngarren (01-07-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 07:24 AM
tjduexjr
Advanced
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

My experience with the Pan America TFT/phone combination is that it works 90% of the time. I ended up supplementing with a Garmin XT2 for the 10% of the times it doesn't work. I'll throw out, when the Pan America system works, I prefer it over using the Garmin.

The 10% of not working for me is being unable to start a new route without a cell signal. This applies to finding a destination and routing to it or starting a route that I've already created. This is what specifically caused me to go with a dedicated GPS unit. When I'm leading a group ride and am suddenly 'lost', it doesn't feel good. I don't really mind wandering when I'm by myself, but I do get nervous just wandering if I'm leading a group of folks.

The following 2 users liked this post by tjduexjr:
user 7298720 (01-08-2024), Wormjello (04-12-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 12:47 PM
wmprof
Road Master
Received 1,291 Likes on 443 Posts

Most of the issues are user error. Nobody RTFM or takes time to learn. Sounds like you are NOT in that camp. You should be fine without additional hardware.

Old 01-07-2024, 04:40 PM
doxbike
Tourer
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by wmprof
Most of the issues are user error. Nobody RTFM or takes time to learn. Sounds like you are NOT in that camp. You should be fine without additional hardware.
I have RTFM page by page, the ride create is lacking. while it works, it's fine, but deviate a smidgen and the ****er won't keep going, just keeps sending your back to the point you missed- unless you stop, open it up and delete the missed waypoint. too much BS to worry about.

The following users liked this post:
user 7298720 (01-08-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 09:51 PM
3dognate
Tourer
Received 341 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by doxbike
I have RTFM page by page, the ride create is lacking. while it works, it's fine, but deviate a smidgen and the ****er won't keep going, just keeps sending your back to the point you missed- unless you stop, open it up and delete the missed waypoint. too much BS to worry about.
yeah the inability to dynamically re-route or pick back up after a detour or even a stop sometimes makes it mostly impractical. I just use my phone on a bar mount. I still get the turn by turn in my headset and can see the map plenty well enough. The app and built in hav works okay enough to get point to point.

If I were planning a real ride with sketchy service, I’d drop $ for a Garmin and be done… but the apple, off-line google Maps or the REVER app gets the job done so far. And I like being able to just tell Siri where I want to go and have a map and route pulled up without having to tap a single thing.

Old 01-08-2024, 03:02 PM
user 7298720
Banned
Received 186 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by wmprof
That is such a BS statement I don’t know where to start. Single worst thing about my PAS is nav. Zumo XT/XT2 solves the issue fortunately

The following 3 users liked this post by user 7298720:
AFSOC_Commando (07-20-2024), greg09997 (04-08-2024), tvon (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 09:04 AM
wmprof
Road Master
Received 1,291 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by mrarkus
That is such a BS statement I don’t know where to start. Single worst thing about my PAS is nav. Zumo XT/XT2 solves the issue fortunately
I formed my opinion from reading comments on the various FB groups. The commenters on FB are a special kind of stupid. Maybe it has rubbed off

I don't use NAV on my bike or in my car. I know how to read a map and follow road signs. I may open my phone periodically to get an idea of where I am, then proceed accordingly. YMMV.

Last edited by wmprof; 01-09-2024 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-09-2024, 09:13 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,987 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by mrarkus
I agree. I use the HD App all the time for my Road Glide to plan routes. Works great, and is easy to get off the route and back on it. On the PAS, don't get off the route, as it's hard to get back on it. Hope the route or app doesn't crash while riding it. If you try to restart it, you have to go back to starting point.

Every time they update the APP or bikes software I try to use the APP and PAS Nav 3 or 4 times, then back to the Zumo.

Quick Reply: H-D Rider Planner/app and Use on TFT