Pan America Pan America Forum Only

H-D Rider Planner/app and Use on TFT

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 03:00 AM
08518 biker
Intermediate
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Another update from the original poster! As I get more time on the bike, I'm finding the TFT is working even better with my Cardo communication system and my iPhone. I don't need to "forget" any Bluetooth connections in order for all three devices (TFT, Cardo, iPhone) to work together, as I wrote in the post just above this one. Maps, routes, phone, music, Mesh, all work fine for me by using this sequence:
1. To start, the bike is off, the Cardo is off, and the iPhone is on, with Bluetooth active, as it normally is. All three devices have already been paired with each other prior to this.
2. I turn on the bike in Accessory Mode and wait about 30 seconds or so for the TFT to establish a Bluetooth connection with the iPhone. You can tell when this happens when the red dot below the Bluetooth symbol changes to a white dot.
3. On the iPhone, I start the Harley-Davidson Ride Planner app, and either start a saved route, or just bring up the map if I don't have a ride to load. Previous to the ride, I have downloaded all the state maps through the Ride Planner app, so the map does not need any cell signal.
4. On the TFT, I go to the map page and wait for the map, with or with a route, to appear. This might take about 30 seconds or so.
5. I turn on my Cardo, then go to my iPhone and select the music I want to listen to. I start the music, make sure the volume is good, then pause it to start at some other point in the ride, using the TFT to start and stop the music from this point forward. I put the phone in the mount on my handlebar as this point and plug in the USB-C cable. I usually wont' touch my iPhone again until I reach my next destination and shut the bike off.
6. Using the Cardo, I join the Mesh with any riders that are using it.
7. I keep the bike in Accessory Mode until I start the engine. There is no disruption to any of the connections when the bike starts..

That's it. It may seem like a lot (I keep a cheat sheet of these steps in my jacket pocket), but after doing it a few times, it's second nature.

And I love riding the Pan America. I have no plans to get rid of my Road Glide, but it's fun fooling around on a bike that is almost 300 lbs lighter.

Last edited by 08518 biker; 04-07-2024 at 03:05 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 08518 biker:
FLSTFI Dave (04-07-2024), Wormjello (04-12-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 01:53 PM
fabbergast
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My navigation is awful with my Pixel 6 Pro, and it was awful with my regular Pixel 6. I try it almost every day with a different routine of connecting, different order, sometimes restarting the phone... Sometimes it just chooses to lag horribly behind my actual position. Most of the time it displays gray and white tiles instead of the actual map. I have downloaded the offline maps for my state as well as all surrounding states, and it makes no difference. Have tried loading everything up and turning the phone on airplane mode beforehand (because sometimes when I lose service the lagging begins and never catches up), I have tried riding specifically in areas where I never lose service, I have tried starting the bike with the phone off first, have tried turning bluetooth on the phone after the bike is running, have tried starting the app after the bike is running, and the reverse of all of those. Have adjusted AVRCP from 1.3 to 1.4 to 1.5 to 1.6. Bluetooth MAP from 1.2 to 1.3 to 1.4... Not a single thing I have done has caused the navigation to be consistently accurate or reliable. There are times when it works perfectly for an extended period. Usually if I switch to my normal dash screen to check tire pressure, temperature, or fuel miles remaining and then switch back to the map screen, the lagging begins. I will watch my map cursor appear to re-traverse the same little stretch of road repeatedly as if it is a video on loop. sometimes it will do that indefinitely in the same spot, sometimes it will resume moving again but hundreds of yards behind my actual position, sometimes it will just totally freeze both the map and the turn by turn, and once in a super rare blue moon, if I switch back and forth between different zoom levels and go back and forth between the gauge screen and the map screen, it will reset to only have maybe a 50 yard lag.

More often than not, I either have to stop and shut the bike and phone off if I want to use the TFT nav, or I will just suck it up and switch to google maps on my phone (kind of a small screen to see compared to TFT). I will eventually get a Garmin Nuvi XT, I just was REALLLLY hopeful that harley would take less time to get the app sorted so I wouldn't have to have another "thing" hanging off my bike.

Currently running App version (taking a minute to check, another quirk I forgot about, 4/5 times I try to open the app it just immediately exits): V2.0.20240710 (100481) and the latest TFT software 20230911.

Old 07-18-2024, 02:32 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,375 Likes on 4,990 Posts

What was the question?

Old 07-21-2024, 07:17 AM
North of You
Cruiser
Received 231 Likes on 89 Posts

Just give up on the Harley map, it’s unsalvageable. It may be ok around town, but as soon as you get into the hinterland, it’s like t$ts on a Bull. Buy this….

https://www.garmin.com/en-CA/p/867974

https://motomotto.ca/products/lockab...t-for-zumo-xt2

https://motomotto.ca/products/above-...50-pan-america

Old 07-24-2024, 11:38 PM
tvon
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by North of You
Just give up on the Harley map, it’s unsalvageable. It may be ok around town, but as soon as you get into the hinterland, it’s like t$ts on a Bull. Buy this….
Sadly, I agree. The music pairing works good for me, but the map/nav thing is just trash. I use my phone, others like those garmin GPS's. YMMV