Pan America Pan America Forum Only

Fuel pump noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2024, 03:38 PM
talesfrom2wheels
Stage III
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope this helps... there's a right way to do it. All the best.

The following users liked this post:
3dognate (01-24-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 02:24 PM
H_Shaker
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by talesfrom2wheels
Hope this helps... there's a right way to do it. All the best.

https://youtu.be/15UIGXSzhbs?si=TeYqAdgaY5reMYVu

​​​​​​Video's unavailable, any other links to it?

Old 06-28-2024, 07:06 PM
North of You
Cruiser
Received 231 Likes on 89 Posts

Just replaced my pump today at 35k km. I just got so used to the “singing” that the old one made, the silence of the new one is disconcerting…..

What I thought was the ARH squatting down when you power up the bike, was actually the pump.

silverbulletking (06-29-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 08:06 AM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 510 Likes on 268 Posts

I am out and about on a trip in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and my fuel pump has started to screech at 9k miles on the bike. I hope it gets me home because there in no place to replace it up here!

silverbulletking (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 05:03 PM
dceggert
Road Master

Originally Posted by dceggert
I am out and about on a trip in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and my fuel pump has started to screech at 9k miles on the bike. I hope it gets me home because there in no place to replace it up here!
Update: I read through this and other forums, then YouTube. I picked up on the idea that it may be gunk causing this. I stopped at a truck stop and bought the only fuel cleaner they had; CAM2. I put the recommended amount in the tank and filled it with fuel and started off on the day's adventure on forest roads. Other than the 1/2 inch of rain last night making it a muddy mess, I made it through 159 miles of beautiful forest. On the way back to camp I stopped at a scenic overlook and when I restarted the noise was gone! I will keep treating it until the bottle is used up now. I have 300 miles to ride home tomorrow so everything should be spotless in there by tomorrow evening.

This data point supports the theory that the root cause is that the filter plugs with gunk and the pump then burns up. If the pump starts making noise again I will post an update. For now I suggest that if YOUR pump starts this noise put some fuel cleaner in it and see if it goes away! Seafoam would be ideal but get whatever you can if it is not available.

North of You (07-04-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 07:53 PM
dceggert
Road Master

Update: I read through this and other forums, then YouTube. I picked up on the idea that it may be gunk causing this. I stopped at a truck stop and bought the only fuel cleaner they had; CAM2. I put the recommended amount in the tank and filled it with fuel and started off on the day's adventure on forest roads. Other than the 1/2 inch of rain last night making it a muddy mess, I made it through 159 miles of beautiful forest. On the way back to camp I stopped at a scenic overlook and when I restarted the noise was gone! I will keep treating it until the bottle is used up now. I have 300 miles to ride home tomorrow so everything should be spotless in there by tomorrow evening.

This data point supports the theory that the root cause is that the filter plugs with gunk and the pump then burns up. If the pump starts making noise again I will post an update. For now I suggest that if YOUR pump starts this noise put some fuel cleaner in it and see if it goes away! Seafoam would be ideal but get whatever you can if it is not available.
Another Update: I got the bike home. The noise is not all the way gone; I can hear the pump singing away when riding at about 45 in 6th. The grinding noise is gone though. So I am ordering a pump tomorrow.

On the long ride home I was thinking about the screech I heard when accelerating right after I changed the tires. Stupid me I thought the Trailmax Missions were doing something weird on hard accel. I realize now it was the first instances of the pump issue. We shall see what I find when I open it up.

In the meantime, the fuel cleaner definitely helped but it is not the cure.

Old 07-11-2024, 06:46 PM
dceggert
Road Master

Another Update: I got the bike home. The noise is not all the way gone; I can hear the pump singing away when riding at about 45 in 6th. The grinding noise is gone though. So I am ordering a pump tomorrow.

On the long ride home I was thinking about the screech I heard when accelerating right after I changed the tires. Stupid me I thought the Trailmax Missions were doing something weird on hard accel. I realize now it was the first instances of the pump issue. We shall see what I find when I open it up.

In the meantime, the fuel cleaner definitely helped but it is not the cure.
Update: I have been able to drain my tank and extract the fuel pump assembly, but I cannot figure out how to get the old pump out of the housing! I will play with it again tomorrow but it looks as though the strainer is pressed onto the pump and it is holding it in the housing. These are all plastic parts so trying to wedge them apart seems close to the breaking point. If it breaks I am done. I will give it another go tomorrow.

Old 07-11-2024, 07:12 PM
Soundman5000
Cruiser
Received 168 Likes on 87 Posts

Try a few ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas. Its very good at adding some lube to the gas. If fixed a petcock in my evo years ago, turn off is smooth as silk with some MMO in the gas, May help your pump. I ran some in my new M8 and I don't have a fuel pump problem but I did notice the normal fuel pump noise was less. Wont hurt anything to try it...

Old 07-13-2024, 05:13 PM
dceggert
Road Master

Update: I have been able to drain my tank and extract the fuel pump assembly, but I cannot figure out how to get the old pump out of the housing! I will play with it again tomorrow but it looks as though the strainer is pressed onto the pump and it is holding it in the housing. These are all plastic parts so trying to wedge them apart seems close to the breaking point. If it breaks I am done. I will give it another go tomorrow.
I put some WD-40 on the trouble making connection and let it sit overnight. It popped right apart the next morning.

I tried cleaning the screen with carburetor cleaner and it appears to have no change. In its defense the cleaner sprays right through it so I do not think it is clogged at all. I have ordered a new strainer from H-D and it is supposed to be delivered to my dealer 19-Jul (Quantum does not have strainers for the PA yet). I will post photos and explanations when the new strainer is ready to go. In the meantime I have some aux wiring to tidy and air filter maintenance while the fuel tank is off the bike.

More later.

The following 2 users liked this post by dceggert:
207nappi (07-15-2024), silverbulletking (07-14-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 03:08 PM
dceggert
Road Master

I put some WD-40 on the trouble making connection and let it sit overnight. It popped right apart the next morning.

I tried cleaning the screen with carburetor cleaner and it appears to have no change. In its defense the cleaner sprays right through it so I do not think it is clogged at all. I have ordered a new strainer from H-D and it is supposed to be delivered to my dealer 19-Jul (Quantum does not have strainers for the PA yet). I will post photos and explanations when the new strainer is ready to go. In the meantime I have some aux wiring to tidy and air filter maintenance while the fuel tank is off the bike.

More later.
I was able to finish the project and the bile is running. I attempted to make a video of what I did to fix it. Hopefully it is informative as there are no other videos out there for this at the moment!

The following 3 users liked this post by dceggert:
Bunker (07-25-2024), freeriders (08-01-2024), greg09997 (07-25-2024)

Quick Reply: Fuel pump noise