Pan America Pan America Forum Only

Fuel pump noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2022, 09:58 PM
GrandPA1250
Novice
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bunker
Hope aftermarket comes up with something soon, my replacement started the noise again with an added whine that I haven't heard yet. Good times!
I would like to know the source of the black crap. Next rainy day when I don't have a full gas tank I guess I'll pull things apart to see what my pump looks like. No issues at the moment but if a problem can be avoided with a look-see I'm all for it.

Old 05-01-2022, 10:45 AM
3dognate
Tourer
Received 341 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandPA1250
I would like to know the source of the black crap. Next rainy day when I don't have a full gas tank I guess I'll pull things apart to see what my pump looks like. No issues at the moment but if a problem can be avoided with a look-see I'm all for it.
Same here. that black stuff is really weird, I' just pulled the fuel pumps on a couple of old K series BMWs with filthy rusty **** in the tanks and after 35 years there's nothing funky happening on the pump side of the filter screen. I'm going to add a SE intake filter soon after my Fuel Moto exhaust finally gets here. I'll check my screen when I pull the tank off. I'm curious now.

Is it possible that the black crap is a result from the failed pump and not the cause of the failed pump?

Old 05-02-2022, 03:28 PM
GrandPA1250
Novice
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 3dognate

Is it possible that the black crap is a result from the failed pump and not the cause of the failed pump?
Chicken or egg What causes the dark strainer and is it killing the pump, I will want that question answered by the service manager if/when my pump takes a ****.

The following users liked this post:
Alex1981 (05-02-2022)
Old 08-04-2023, 10:09 AM
Skittlemac
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 2022 PAS Fuel Pump 8.5k OD

Hey so it's been a week at the Dealer (@ 8.5k o.d. miles) and at first it was all about the Fuel Pump (screeching at start, and loudly resonating like a Glass Armonica at speed)-- that may still be at issue-- but definitely the Dealer is convinced the voltage is off on the bike-- via a bad battery or something else further downstream (under load it craps out)-- delays are Mothership balking at replacing battery (wtf)-- but Dealer keeps completing each electric test required by MS and so now today the word is that I'm getting a new battery. Dealer is confident this will solve the issue (I'm not so sure, but at least then they'll be able to properly test the Fuel Pump Assembly). At other Forums (like panamericaforums.com) there are others with same issue and have quickly had the same problem return even after the fuel pump has been replaced. I'm gonna ask Dealer to share a pix of the fuel filter's element with me if they haven't already put it back together. Also at PAF one Good Guy notes the valve (intake? or exit?) can get really corroded (even with low miles)-- so he completely disassembled everything and shined everything back up-- he says problem solved, not a problem since then. Also there's talk of an AfterMarket pump that could be better, but you have to use OEM Fuel Filter with AM Pump. Will try to update later. Hope's not a strategy. Knee caps in the wind. Bike a nice day ;O)

Old 08-04-2023, 05:16 PM
Skittlemac
Stage II

The battery hasn't yet failed completely, and so when if fails (and it will fail), we can advance with a new Battery (next week)-- also I'm happy to add that the Dealer's Service Department has been amazing and truly helpful-- these electrical gremlins are the WORST, glad it's not me watching a meter and looking up codes ;O). Bike a Nice Day.

Old 10-14-2023, 03:10 PM
recnashville
Stage I
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm no mechanic but I'm wondering if there's not some "non-fuel" hose or gasket in the tank that's disolving.

The following users liked this post:
springer91977 (11-10-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 02:25 PM
W Augustus Brown Jr
1st Gear
Default Fuel pump dying

Mine started making the fuel pump death scream at 23,000 miles. Apparently, this is an endemic problem to this type of fuel punp, which is used in several different brands of motorcycles. I follow a BMW Adventure 1250 forum and many members replace their fuel pumps at 8,000 - 10,000 mile intervals. So we're not alone with this problem.

My 2021 Pan America Special is in the shop now getting the fuel pump replaced under extended warranty. There's been a 10 day wait for the back-ordered fuel pump to arrive. It arrived Thursday, but when they went to replace it they found another part that needed to be ordered. So I'm expecting it back later this week. One of the techs told me the real issue is that Harley does not have a better one available right now for this bike, so it will surely happen again.

In one Pan America forum I follow one of the Pan America owners was also a Harley technician. When his fuel pump failed, he took it apart and found that it was literally clogged. So instead of buying a new fuel pump, he cleaned out the old fuel pump and filter, installed new gaskets, and reassembled it. He installed the refurbished fuel pump in the bike and has had no problems since then. I've asked for my old fuel pump back so I can do the same. That way I'll have a back-up fuel pump should the new one fail. In addition, since I got 23,000 miles out of mine, I've decided to add sea foam once monthly to my tank to see if I can get even more mileage out of the new fuel pump. I find this issue both surprising and frustrating, since I also ride a 2013 FLHTK with over 100,000 miles on it - with the original fuel pump. Even the clutch lasted more than 100,000 miles on that bike, which is also made by Harley. I've been trying to find a better rated in-tank high performance motorcycle fuel pump, but I have not found one on the net yet. If someone knows of an extremely reliable in-tank high flow fuel pump that can replace the OEM model and fit the Pan America, please post it here in this forum. There should be a workaround for this issue.

Old 11-03-2023, 09:31 PM
ddemlong
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Once this issue costs Harley enough money with warranty claims they will finally fix it.

Old 12-09-2023, 12:03 PM
W Augustus Brown Jr
1st Gear
Default Fuel pump issues

I'm not sure that will be the fix, because this is an industry-wide issue, There is a rumor that a better one will be available next year on the market.

Originally Posted by ddemlong
Once this issue costs Harley enough money with warranty claims they will finally fix it.

Old 01-15-2024, 03:36 PM
talesfrom2wheels
Stage III
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel Pump fix...

Quick Reply: Fuel pump noise