Pan America Pan America Forum Only

Fuel pump noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 05:29 PM
RevenantDescent
Cruiser
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Alright, I've had enough of this nonsense. If theres a filter screen of some sort in there thats really doing some work I don't see why I can't clean/replace the thing before it trashes the fuel pump. I'm going to work on taking mine out and I'll show some pictures of what I find. I literally don't mind adding cleaning this thing to the maintenance schedule if it's reachable when I change my oil and cleab my air filter since everything is already off

Old 04-14-2022, 08:19 PM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,191 Likes on 937 Posts

Mine was at the shop today. I swapped wheels with a new owner but that's another story. I had them listen to the fuel pump. When i came back to pick it up. Tech told me that HD told him to order a new one and replace it under warranty.

Old 04-14-2022, 09:34 PM
RevenantDescent
Cruiser

I don't know this would be a end-all be all but this looks pretty clogged to me. I've only given it premium fuel from places like Shell and Valero and they've even got the "top tier" stickers 😮

Edit:
the damage is already done and the fuel pump is toasted. Primes like a squealing pig even without the filter. I'll keep an eye on this thing for my 3rd fuel pump.

Final Edit:
There are replacement filters sold on Harleys main website under the OEM parts for $28 a pop. For those that don't want their bike in the shop or needlessly going through multiple fuel pumps-- then while you're cleaning your air filter you might as well flip your tank over, unscrew the fuel pump, pull it out, yank the filter off and pop a new one in if its getting pretty dirty. I feel like its pretty small for the application. Maybe Texas gas is just disgusting, been to a handful of states and who knows what to blame

Last edited by RevenantDescent; 04-15-2022 at 01:23 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by RevenantDescent:
Alex1981 (04-18-2022), Bunker (04-15-2022), Jed Clampett (04-15-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 09:35 AM
Alex1981
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A strange design... The filter element is located inside the fuel pump housing. Only a small part of the grid is outside. Therefore, it may be difficult for the pump to pump the right amount of fuel, hence overheating and failure of the pump.

Old 04-19-2022, 01:26 AM
RevenantDescent
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Alex1981
A strange design... The filter element is located inside the fuel pump housing. Only a small part of the grid is outside. Therefore, it may be difficult for the pump to pump the right amount of fuel, hence overheating and failure of the pump.
Thats a very interesting point. I could easily pop the filter into place and it would be perfectly secure without tucking it into its little housing spot. Infact, I will do that with my new pump assuming I don't just install a much larger aftermarket filter instead.

Old 04-19-2022, 08:01 PM
GrandPA1250
Novice
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RevenantDescent
Thats a very interesting point. I could easily pop the filter into place and it would be perfectly secure without tucking it into its little housing spot. Infact, I will do that with my new pump assuming I don't just install a much larger aftermarket filter instead.
Post a pic of what a new strainer looks like.

Did you try cleaning the strainer? Curious if the black material would come off if sprayed with carb cleaner.

Old 04-19-2022, 09:20 PM
3dognate
Tourer
Received 341 Likes on 184 Posts

Interesting… there is nothing about the fuel filter in the service manual. Only removal and installation of the pump. Fuel pump screws are supposed to be one time use, manual says to discard them and use new and torque them to 4.5-5.5Nm.

What on earth could be getting into your filter? I’ve had a lot of bikes and none have ever had that much “stuff” in the tank even after decades.

Old 04-20-2022, 08:10 AM
3dognate
Tourer
Received 341 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by RevenantDescent
I don't know this would be a end-all be all but this looks pretty clogged to me. I've only given it premium fuel from places like Shell and Valero and they've even got the "top tier" stickers 😮

Edit:
the damage is already done and the fuel pump is toasted. Primes like a squealing pig even without the filter. I'll keep an eye on this thing for my 3rd fuel pump.

Final Edit:
There are replacement filters sold on Harleys main website under the OEM parts for $28 a pop. For those that don't want their bike in the shop or needlessly going through multiple fuel pumps-- then while you're cleaning your air filter you might as well flip your tank over, unscrew the fuel pump, pull it out, yank the filter off and pop a new one in if its getting pretty dirty. I feel like its pretty small for the application. Maybe Texas gas is just disgusting, been to a handful of states and who knows what to blame
Are you sure the dark stuff isn't just part of the strainer (like a fine screen inside the coarse screen)? I can't find a pic of a new screen of pump to compare it to.

Is it part # 61200083? #6 on this page?
https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...a8bb14f77c8a/y

Last edited by 3dognate; 04-20-2022 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-29-2022, 03:11 PM
GrandPA1250
Novice
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This is what a new strainer looks like.

Old 04-29-2022, 03:56 PM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 489 Likes on 310 Posts

Hope aftermarket comes up with something soon, my replacement started the noise again with an added whine that I haven't heard yet. Good times!

Quick Reply: Fuel pump noise