Pan America Pan America Forum Only

The Pan America Owner's thread...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2021, 04:15 PM
dyolfknip
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan D.
Anyone crash theirs yet? Curious how these things handle a spill.
buddy posted an accident in one of the FB groups. 6 days old, was wearing a dark visor a night and got sucked into shoulder. He's fine, bike hit a guard rail. Lots of damage and motor cracked

The following users liked this post:
Dan D. (06-08-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 09:34 PM
3dognate
Tourer
Received 341 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
Break-in miles are done. Good lord this thing rips in Sport mode. The S/E pipe looks better and sounds fantastic when you're putting the spurs to the bike. It's balanced far better than the competition. I don't know how they did it, but it's a dream off-pavement at low speeds....Like better than my old KLR.
I'll get the SE pipe a bit later after I've beaten the **** out of the stock one.

It does handle well at slow speeds. Not Speed Triple well but well. I've laid it over twice now doing low speed tight right hand turns, both times I accidentally grabbed a handful of brake and 'plop', over it went, couldn't catch it before it went too far over. I need to get a little more familiar with this bike before getting too crazy, Off-Road riding is new to me, I need to leave the bags at home and find a good place to do some practice maneuvers. No biggie a little scratch on the engine guard and corner of the exhaust.

I did a little over 200 miles today on the closest thing to winding roads we have around here trying to get my 1k in before my appointment in a week and a half. Most of that was in sport mode, and yeah sport mode is great.

The following 3 users liked this post by 3dognate:
'05Train (06-07-2021), Dan D. (06-08-2021), Jed Clampett (06-06-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 07:27 AM
NODYNA
Road Warrior
Received 871 Likes on 515 Posts

It does not matter what bike you are riding grabbing the front brake in a low speed maneuver WILL put you down period.

The following 5 users liked this post by NODYNA:
'05Train (06-07-2021), 3dognate (06-07-2021), Acedoc (12-07-2021), dceggert (06-07-2021), flyburch (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 08:59 AM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 510 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by NODYNA
It does not matter what bike you are riding grabbing the front brake in a low speed maneuver WILL put you down period.
If the handlebars are turned, absolutely. It does not even need to be that much brake pressure! It takes a lot of practice to know how much you can get away with. In the meantime it can get expensive.

Old 06-07-2021, 12:07 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,988 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by screamingeagleeyes
I got my Metallic Grey Special today! I will be interested to hear more on the maps using the H-D App. It appeared that the phone connected but no maps. When trying to start the app the map appears for about a second then everything off!

Post a few pictures of it. I would love to see what that color looks like.

Old 06-07-2021, 12:17 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

600 miles on the Pan America this weekend, so I figured it was time for a full review. I’ve owned a ton of different bikes, from a ZX6-R, to a KLR, to a K1600, to a raft of Harleys, to a GS Adventure. With the announcement of this bike, I knew I wanted back into the big ADV segment. I test rode its three major competitors (KTM SA, Duc Multi, BMW Adventure), which are all varying degrees of outstanding motorcycles.

Though I’m a Harley guy, I’m also a realist. I wanted this bike to be great, but I also remember how Harley did Buell and the V-Rod, so my expectations were low. Then the reviews started coming in. And then I did a demo ride. And then I picked mine up.

It’s not hyperbole to say that it’s the best in class. Harley has done the unthinkable and gotten nearly everything right on this bike.

Let’s get the negatives out of the way first.

The sidestand is pretty far forward. It also seems too long, as you have to shift the bike to the right to raise and lower it. Not a huge deal for someone with long legs, but there it is.

As nearly every reviewer has said, the windshield mechanism seems flimsy and allows the shield to flutter quite a bit. A Madstad will be going on the second they’re released.

There’s a lot of information on a small display. I can make out most of what’s there, but I had to use my readers when I was going through the set-up.

That’s it.

Before I get into the good stuff, I rode this weekend, I didn’t crack the manual. I didn’t create any custom ride modes or change any settings. So it’s likely that the bike does stuff that I’m not aware of. I’ll update as necessary.

ARH is one of the big stories on this bike. I’ve got a 34” inseam, so it’s not something I *need*. I got it to get it, figured it’d be helpful if/when I sell the bike. I also thought it would help when I ride 2-up. The system’s transparent. You can tell what it’s doing by the bend in your knee, but the system raises and lowers nearly imperceptibly. I’d wager that a rider with a 30” inseam would have no problem with the Low seat and ARH.

I have the stock seat in the high position. As others have mentioned, the seat foam could be firmer. That said, it’s a comfortable seat for me (200 pounds) for 6-hour days. Would it work for an all-day ride? Dunno. One thing that’s interesting is the shape. It’s a seat, not a saddle. Very different from the competition, and I could see that being an obstacle if you were coming from (and liked) that sort of seat.

The rider’s triangle is surprisingly more aggressive than I’d expected. At the end of the weekend I had some tension in my shoulders from the forward lean. Not terrible, but bar risers will be going on this week. I got zero knee or hip pain from the peg position. The kneepads for the tank are a must-have. With your knees locked to the tank, the position makes the bike stupid easy to control, regardless of what sort of surface you’re on. The windshield provides decent protection, and with it all the way down gave good airflow to my helmet and jacket vents. If you’re coming from a GS/A, you’re not going to have the wind protection you’re used to. Better for ventilation when it’s hot, but you’re going to get colder and wetter when the weather’s bad.

Bring the bike off the stand, and you’ll find that it’s very well-balanced. Harley’s got the weight down low, so it never feels “tippy” as the other brands do. It does walking-speed maneuvers easily, once you get the feel for it. Once you’re under way, the bike shrinks to the point that you’d swear it was a smaller, lighter bike. There is zero headshake.

Fire it up, and there’s a fair amount of mechanical “whirring” noise, and a not-unpleasant exhaust sound. I put the S/E muffler on it after day 1, so I have limited experience with the stock setup. The S/E muffler looks far better to my eyes, as well as being a bit lighter. It sounds better at idle. At highway speeds you can barely hear the exhaust over the wind. Put the spurs to it, and the upgraded muffler has a nice throaty roar to it starting around 5,000rpm. More power? Maybe. It will never sound like a traditional Harley, and that’s perfectly okay.

The engine is the star of the show. Put it in Rain mode and keep the tach below 4,000rpm and you’ve got the nicest KLR you’ve ever ridden. Open it up in Sport mode and it’s a rip-snorting holy terror. If you ride a GS Adventure, do not race a Pan Am. The fueling is spot-on, though Sport can be a little abrupt. That’s probably just something to adjust to. The engine likes to spin, so forget loafing around at 2,500rpm. 65mph in 6th is right at 4,000rpm. Fuel mileage appears to be in the mid to high 40s. Heat’s negligible. In the time of catalytic converters, you’re going to get heat to your feet.

The transmission shifts like butter. Clutch throw is light, with engagement out at the end of the lever travel. I prefer it closer to the grip, but that’s just me. Running up and down the gears is simple, neutral is easy to find, and I never had an issue grabbing neutral instead of 2nd. Engine braking is fantastic.

The brakes just work. They’re easy to modulate, have a great feel, and haul the bike down quickly.

The suspension is – to me – stellar. There’s a lot of subjectivity about suspension feel, so this is really going to be up to the rider. I used Road, Sport, and Off-Road modes, and didn’t customize anything. In every setting it was stiffer than the competition. To me, that’s a good thing. At no point, even in Sport and on a terrible road, was it ever harsh. Never did I get jarred to the point that I wanted to change modes to something softer. The payoff to this is that the bike is an absolute scalpel when you’re carving corners. The 80/20 tires squirm a bit when you’re really pushing it, but it trail brakes like a champ, holds a line like a monorail, and deals with midcorner bumps with ruthless efficiency. At no point did the bike get crossed-up, and at no point did I ever feel any of the electronic nannies cutting in (other than to keep the front tire on the ground when pinning the throttle).

The wildcard for the suspension is BMW’s Telelever. You either love it or you don’t. I love it. Once you get used to the feel, that front end can make you look like Doug Chandler. It’s what makes the big BMW unique, and if that feature is a make-or-break item, then you have a choice of one.

Take the SA, the Multi, and the PA on a winding mountain road, and you’ve got a very interesting race. My gut says the Multi, being more pavement-oriented, comes out on top. I dunno, I think it’d be close.

Take all that, throw in a 2-year, unlimited-mileage warranty, a massive dealer network, and what will surely be massive aftermarket support, and it’s a slam-dunk success. Would a quick-shifter be nice? Sure. Would I be upset if it had a single-sided swingarm? I would not. Those things aren’t crucial to me. From a comfort, utility, and performance standpoint, this is a huge win.

You will never have to add the qualifier, “….for a Harley” with this bike.

The following 12 users liked this post by '05Train:
3dognate (06-07-2021), btreinen (06-24-2021), Bunker (06-07-2021), dceggert (06-07-2021), Hewi (04-17-2022), jsrracing (07-22-2021), LittleMule (09-10-2021), Loungagna (04-25-2022), Puglia10 (08-11-2021), rauchman (07-15-2021), rideon (06-08-2021), Xbt2 (09-05-2023) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-07-2021, 12:59 PM
screamingeagleeyes
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
The following 7 users liked this post by screamingeagleeyes:
'05Train (06-07-2021), dceggert (06-07-2021), Hammz (06-08-2021), Jed Clampett (06-07-2021), Kraz (10-31-2022), rauchman (07-15-2021), Xbt2 (09-05-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-07-2021, 01:18 PM
screamingeagleeyes
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I'm with you on the PA rundown, feels good. Although I'm not sure my throttle response is acting right. Doesn't matter what ride mode I'm in there is a delay in sending the power to the wheel. I even created a custom mode and increased the throttle response but no difference. Am I missing something? Only 200kms now so haven't had the need for cranking on it yet anyway.

Old 06-07-2021, 01:42 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by screamingeagleeyes
I'm with you on the PA rundown, feels good. Although I'm not sure my throttle response is acting right. Doesn't matter what ride mode I'm in there is a delay in sending the power to the wheel. I even created a custom mode and increased the throttle response but no difference. Am I missing something? Only 200kms now so haven't had the need for cranking on it yet anyway.
I've got no lag, no driveline lash.....nothing but smooth power.

The following 2 users liked this post by '05Train:
3dognate (06-07-2021), Loungagna (04-25-2022)
Old 06-07-2021, 03:19 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
600 miles on the Pan America this weekend, so I figured it was time for a full review. I’ve owned a ton of different bikes, from a ZX6-R, to a KLR, to a K1600, to a raft of Harleys, to a GS Adventure. With the announcement of this bike, I knew I wanted back into the big ADV segment. I test rode its three major competitors (KTM SA, Duc Multi, BMW Adventure), which are all varying degrees of outstanding motorcycles.

Though I’m a Harley guy, I’m also a realist. I wanted this bike to be great, but I also remember how Harley did Buell and the V-Rod, so my expectations were low. Then the reviews started coming in. And then I did a demo ride. And then I picked mine up.

It’s not hyperbole to say that it’s the best in class. Harley has done the unthinkable and gotten nearly everything right on this bike.

Let’s get the negatives out of the way first.

The sidestand is pretty far forward. It also seems too long, as you have to shift the bike to the right to raise and lower it. Not a huge deal for someone with long legs, but there it is.

As nearly every reviewer has said, the windshield mechanism seems flimsy and allows the shield to flutter quite a bit. A Madstad will be going on the second they’re released.

There’s a lot of information on a small display. I can make out most of what’s there, but I had to use my readers when I was going through the set-up.

That’s it.

Before I get into the good stuff, I rode this weekend, I didn’t crack the manual. I didn’t create any custom ride modes or change any settings. So it’s likely that the bike does stuff that I’m not aware of. I’ll update as necessary.

ARH is one of the big stories on this bike. I’ve got a 34” inseam, so it’s not something I *need*. I got it to get it, figured it’d be helpful if/when I sell the bike. I also thought it would help when I ride 2-up. The system’s transparent. You can tell what it’s doing by the bend in your knee, but the system raises and lowers nearly imperceptibly. I’d wager that a rider with a 30” inseam would have no problem with the Low seat and ARH.

I have the stock seat in the high position. As others have mentioned, the seat foam could be firmer. That said, it’s a comfortable seat for me (200 pounds) for 6-hour days. Would it work for an all-day ride? Dunno. One thing that’s interesting is the shape. It’s a seat, not a saddle. Very different from the competition, and I could see that being an obstacle if you were coming from (and liked) that sort of seat.

The rider’s triangle is surprisingly more aggressive than I’d expected. At the end of the weekend I had some tension in my shoulders from the forward lean. Not terrible, but bar risers will be going on this week. I got zero knee or hip pain from the peg position. The kneepads for the tank are a must-have. With your knees locked to the tank, the position makes the bike stupid easy to control, regardless of what sort of surface you’re on. The windshield provides decent protection, and with it all the way down gave good airflow to my helmet and jacket vents. If you’re coming from a GS/A, you’re not going to have the wind protection you’re used to. Better for ventilation when it’s hot, but you’re going to get colder and wetter when the weather’s bad.

Bring the bike off the stand, and you’ll find that it’s very well-balanced. Harley’s got the weight down low, so it never feels “tippy” as the other brands do. It does walking-speed maneuvers easily, once you get the feel for it. Once you’re under way, the bike shrinks to the point that you’d swear it was a smaller, lighter bike. There is zero headshake.

Fire it up, and there’s a fair amount of mechanical “whirring” noise, and a not-unpleasant exhaust sound. I put the S/E muffler on it after day 1, so I have limited experience with the stock setup. The S/E muffler looks far better to my eyes, as well as being a bit lighter. It sounds better at idle. At highway speeds you can barely hear the exhaust over the wind. Put the spurs to it, and the upgraded muffler has a nice throaty roar to it starting around 5,000rpm. More power? Maybe. It will never sound like a traditional Harley, and that’s perfectly okay.

The engine is the star of the show. Put it in Rain mode and keep the tach below 4,000rpm and you’ve got the nicest KLR you’ve ever ridden. Open it up in Sport mode and it’s a rip-snorting holy terror. If you ride a GS Adventure, do not race a Pan Am. The fueling is spot-on, though Sport can be a little abrupt. That’s probably just something to adjust to. The engine likes to spin, so forget loafing around at 2,500rpm. 65mph in 6th is right at 4,000rpm. Fuel mileage appears to be in the mid to high 40s. Heat’s negligible. In the time of catalytic converters, you’re going to get heat to your feet.

The transmission shifts like butter. Clutch throw is light, with engagement out at the end of the lever travel. I prefer it closer to the grip, but that’s just me. Running up and down the gears is simple, neutral is easy to find, and I never had an issue grabbing neutral instead of 2nd. Engine braking is fantastic.

The brakes just work. They’re easy to modulate, have a great feel, and haul the bike down quickly.

The suspension is – to me – stellar. There’s a lot of subjectivity about suspension feel, so this is really going to be up to the rider. I used Road, Sport, and Off-Road modes, and didn’t customize anything. In every setting it was stiffer than the competition. To me, that’s a good thing. At no point, even in Sport and on a terrible road, was it ever harsh. Never did I get jarred to the point that I wanted to change modes to something softer. The payoff to this is that the bike is an absolute scalpel when you’re carving corners. The 80/20 tires squirm a bit when you’re really pushing it, but it trail brakes like a champ, holds a line like a monorail, and deals with midcorner bumps with ruthless efficiency. At no point did the bike get crossed-up, and at no point did I ever feel any of the electronic nannies cutting in (other than to keep the front tire on the ground when pinning the throttle).

The wildcard for the suspension is BMW’s Telelever. You either love it or you don’t. I love it. Once you get used to the feel, that front end can make you look like Doug Chandler. It’s what makes the big BMW unique, and if that feature is a make-or-break item, then you have a choice of one.

Take the SA, the Multi, and the PA on a winding mountain road, and you’ve got a very interesting race. My gut says the Multi, being more pavement-oriented, comes out on top. I dunno, I think it’d be close.

Take all that, throw in a 2-year, unlimited-mileage warranty, a massive dealer network, and what will surely be massive aftermarket support, and it’s a slam-dunk success. Would a quick-shifter be nice? Sure. Would I be upset if it had a single-sided swingarm? I would not. Those things aren’t crucial to me. From a comfort, utility, and performance standpoint, this is a huge win.

You will never have to add the qualifier, “….for a Harley” with this bike.
Great honest review - many thanks. I have a three hour demo ride scheduled for tomorrow morning and my bike is currently "on the boat"....

The following 3 users liked this post by adm:
'05Train (06-07-2021), Acedoc (12-07-2021), LittleMule (09-10-2021)

Quick Reply: The Pan America Owner's thread...