Pan America Pan America Forum Only

The Pan America Owner's thread...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 08:18 PM
hulsmsc
Advanced
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 3dognate
Yeah, was riding today at 91 degrees out and got into some traffic and it was a little toasty, but I can't think of a single bike I've owned of any brand that wouldn't also be toasty. esp. the Twin-Cam or Milwaukee 8. The Engine temp never got over 220 though... I'd call it normal motorcycle heat.

On a plus note today... I got my BCM flashed with the update, so I'm charging now off the TFT. It seems to play well with my Quad Lock wireless charger.

I use a Sena 50S headset and an iPhone 11 Pro... I took a phone call for the first time today and the person I was talking to said it sounded like I was in a wind tunnel. So I wonder if the Sena's noise cancellation doesn't work with the PA. Normally if I've just paired the Sena directly to the phone, the person on the other end is usually surprised to discover I'm riding and say they can hear me very clearly. Next ride, I'll not pair with the bike and take a couple of calls with a buddy and compare the two and see what's what.
Do you have to have the dealer do the BCM update or can it be downloaded and updates over the USB connection?

Old 06-06-2021, 02:00 AM
screamingeagleeyes
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default No Map

I got my Metallic Grey Special today! I will be interested to hear more on the maps using the H-D App. It appeared that the phone connected but no maps. When trying to start the app the map appears for about a second then everything off!

Old 06-06-2021, 06:46 AM
dyolfknip
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by screamingeagleeyes
I got my Metallic Grey Special today! I will be interested to hear more on the maps using the H-D App. It appeared that the phone connected but no maps. When trying to start the app the map appears for about a second then everything off!
ya, that's the newest thing it's been doing. It will find the address and when I hit "take me there" it just shows a checkered map. Oddly enough the turn by turn works on home screen.
Map doesn't orient towards forward direction. Irritating.
Need to add a stop while at a light or pulled over? Ya, pull your phone out and redo everything. Junk.
Make a gas stop and shut bike off? Yaz you need to redo everything. Seriously?

I honestly don't understand how they put so much great thought into this bike and then let William Harley's 3 year old great, great, great grandson design the GPS software.

The following 3 users liked this post by dyolfknip:
3dognate (06-06-2021), danbigoe (08-09-2021), hdxbones (06-06-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 07:35 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

500~ish miles so far. The power, handling, and feel are all unreal. Head and shoulders a better bike than my BMW GS. As in, no contest. This bike will absolutely annihilate a GS on a winding road, and is far, far better balanced when off-pavement. I did 50 or so miles off-pavement yesterday, and was more comfortable and confident than I've ever been on a street legal motorcycle.

Haters gonna hate, but Harley owns the big ADV segment now.

The following 7 users liked this post by '05Train:
3dognate (06-06-2021), dceggert (06-06-2021), Dr.Midnight (06-06-2021), hdxbones (06-06-2021), jsrracing (07-22-2021), rideon (06-06-2021), Xbt2 (09-05-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-06-2021, 08:05 AM
3dognate
Tourer
Received 341 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by hulsmsc
Do you have to have the dealer do the BCM update or can it be downloaded and updates over the USB connection?
The dealer has to do it. You'll only ever be able to update the Infotainment system over the USB. The BCM is part of the greater systems and has to be updated over the CAN bus, you'll not be able to update that yourself.
Originally Posted by screamingeagleeyes
That's exactly what happens with mine... be sure to contact H-D Customer Care and let them know of your problem and log a ticket.

Old 06-06-2021, 09:08 AM
Rabianegra
Advanced
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Has anyone done two-up riding?
Interested to know how the bike moves on twisties with heavy loads on the back.

Old 06-06-2021, 10:36 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
ya, that's the newest thing it's been doing. It will find the address and when I hit "take me there" it just shows a checkered map. Oddly enough the turn by turn works on home screen.
Map doesn't orient towards forward direction. Irritating.
Need to add a stop while at a light or pulled over? Ya, pull your phone out and redo everything. Junk.
Make a gas stop and shut bike off? Yaz you need to redo everything. Seriously?

I honestly don't understand how they put so much great thought into this bike and then let William Harley's 3 year old great, great, great grandson design the GPS software.
I hope that HD will update the navigation software at some point in the near future. It's all on the phone anyway and the bike is just kind of mirroring the phone display in Nav mode (AFAIK). So all they really need to do is improve their app. I would expect they have a team working on it now.

Voice control to their app would be useful - "Hey Harley, add a waypoint at the closest fuel stop", "Hey Harley navigate to 461 Ocean Boulevard" for example.

The following users liked this post:
Bunker (06-06-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 11:24 AM
Dan D.
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,718 Likes on 890 Posts

Anyone crash theirs yet? Curious how these things handle a spill.

Old 06-06-2021, 02:04 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Break-in miles are done. Good lord this thing rips in Sport mode. The S/E pipe looks better and sounds fantastic when you're putting the spurs to the bike. It's balanced far better than the competition. I don't know how they did it, but it's a dream off-pavement at low speeds....Like better than my old KLR.

Harley really did their homework and knocked this thing out of the park. It's better all-around than the GS/A, the SAR, and the Multi. The Multi's a better road bike, the GS/A has that wonderful front suspension, and the KTM's got a great motor, but if you're looking for the best do-it-all bike, this is it.

The following 3 users liked this post by '05Train:
3dognate (06-06-2021), Bunker (06-06-2021), Dr.Midnight (06-07-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 02:58 PM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

How do you find the comfort? Is it a good all day tourer? I ordered the taller windshield and tall boy seat, I’m 6’2”, hoping to see the bike mid July.

Last edited by rideon; 06-06-2021 at 05:10 PM.

Quick Reply: The Pan America Owner's thread...