Pan America Pan America Forum Only

The Pan America Owner's thread...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 01:47 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Jed Clampett
Well for me it was, I didn't put it on until after I had my bag racks on, so it was a double pain having to take them off again. Took me about an hour to get the rack installed. I like doing things to the bike, the rack was just one of those things I'm glad it's done and don't have to mess with it again. Still waiting on the big rack I fabbed up that attaches to the topcase rack, to get back from the powdercoater.
So do the topcase rack first......Gotcha.

I ordered the aux lights as well, I'm hoping they're a simple plug & play.

Old 06-02-2021, 02:08 PM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,206 Likes on 942 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
So do the topcase rack first......Gotcha.

I ordered the aux lights as well, I'm hoping they're a simple plug & play.
Let me know how that goes. I want some of those myself.

Old 06-02-2021, 06:10 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Did my demo ride:

Rode one today, the reviews are pretty much all spot-on. Bottom line, this absolutely feels like a Harley, but it's vastly different than anything Harley's done before.

The engine's got a not-quite-balanced feel to it, so it's not a smooth sewing machine like a UJM. The clutch friction point is a bit further out than I'd like, but the feel is good. The transmission's like butter. The brakes bit well, and will probably improve with some break in. The controls feel substantial, but not as substantial as the Touring line. There's a ton of buttons. The display crams a lot of information on it, but it's legible (mostly). I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam. The stock windshield is probably fine, the stock seat needs to be in the high position (it was in the low for the test ride), and I definitely need the taller risers, as I could feel more weight than I wanted on my wrists....and that would be amplified with the seat sitting 1" higher.

The fit & finish is gorgeous. I'm glad I picked the 2-tone, as it's stunning in person. The ARH is completely transparent. The seat was comfortable for the 30 minutes I rode. I noticed no issues with the fueling, but I kept it below 4,000rpm as this thing was fresh off the truck. I was riding in a borrowed helmet and work clothes, so I didn't go nuts. It's 80 today, and I felt some warmth on my right wingtip, but it wasn't egregious.

I started in "Road" mode, and spent most of the ride there, as I wasn't really dressed for riding, it was rush hour, and it was a fresh bike that hadn't been broken in. The engine's a gem. If/when Harley puts this thing in a Touring bike, they'll sell them as fast as they can build them. It pulls cleanly, and is happy to lub-dub along at 3,000rpm. Nice engine braking when you're decelerating. It's got character, but it's quiet....If you're coming from another brand, you're not going to blow your eardrums out with the stock pipe. I spent about 5 minutes in "Sport" mode, and it's a fire-breathing beast. I predict his bike will embarrass a lot of very serious hardware out on the backroads.

The suspension is just sublime. The roads around here suck, I went over 2 sets of train tracks, and across 2 wooden bridges. The bike just swallowed them up. It dives into a corner like a playful dolphin. I was expecting the wheelbase to limit how sharply it turned in, but (granted, fresh bike, not mine, and not dressed for it so I wasn't killing it) it was surprising how nimble it was. At no point did I feel the need to fiddle with it in "Road" mode. In "Sport" mode, it was like a scalpel.

Wind protection was okay to my torso and head, but there's not much blocking the wind to the legs. You're going to get soaked in the rain.

I've got until Friday to figure out whether or not the Road Glide's staying. This bike is awfully good, and I could see having this as my only "big" bike.

The following 5 users liked this post by '05Train:
Bunker (06-03-2021), dceggert (06-02-2021), rauchman (06-04-2021), roadrunner1414 (06-02-2021), Xbt2 (09-05-2023)
Old 06-02-2021, 06:16 PM
Dan D.
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,718 Likes on 890 Posts

Actual train tracks or just an at grade crossing?

The following users liked this post:
Snowdog999 (07-12-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 08:20 PM
Emax
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
Got the call today that my bike's in. I ordered a pile of accessories with it, and have a question for those who already have the bike.

I'm mechanically adept. I have tools and a motorcycle lift in my garage. Are there any accessories that I should have the dealer install, or is everything simple enough to do at home?

Thanks in advance.
I also got the call today to and have a lot of stuff in my garage that have been there for a few months can’t wait to get it home and start playing but of course it’s suppose to rain all day tomorrow it’s just my luck.

The following users liked this post:
'05Train (06-02-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 08:29 PM
hulsmsc
Advanced
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 3dognate
Yeah, I've complained a little on Facebook about the Nav issues. I called H-D Customer Care and logged a ticket with them and have mentioned it to my dealer for review when I take it into them for my 1k service in a couple of weeks.

The phone guy was encouraging in that he wanted extensive detail on the problem so that he could record it for the team that works on the infotainment system for the PA.

So, I'd also encourage everyone experiencing problems with the App+Infotainment system to log a ticket. I also work as a customer experience designer for a non-related industry. They can't fix anything that they don't know there's a problem with as dev testing only turns up so much. Real world problems / experience turns up the real issues.
From H-D:
"When you have a moment please give our Customer Care Team a call so we can learn more about your experience. They can be reached at 1-800-258-2464 (Monday through Friday; 8am-7pm CDT)."
Thanks for the info, I will give them a call tomorrow so they can add my bike having similar issues to their list of reports. Hopefully it is something they can locate and patch in the short term.

Old 06-03-2021, 03:43 AM
kaycee944
Cruiser
Received 146 Likes on 64 Posts

Nothing new here, BMW have been having issues with their TFT software for at least the last three years, and still haven't managed to sort it all out.

Last edited by kaycee944; 06-03-2021 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-03-2021, 04:17 AM
Emax
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

So I have a question has anyone purchased an extended warranty if so can you tell me anything about it how much it was or what’s a good price for one and what does it cover. I know they will be asking me if I want one today and would like to be prepared. Thanks in advance for the info.

Old 06-03-2021, 04:44 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,254 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I normally advise against an extended warranty. That said, in the case of a totally new model, I think it might not be a bad idea.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:58 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 491 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Emax
So I have a question has anyone purchased an extended warranty if so can you tell me anything about it how much it was or what’s a good price for one and what does it cover. I know they will be asking me if I want one today and would like to be prepared. Thanks in advance for the info.
So... yeah I'm the guy with all the stories lol

I initially did all my paperwork and did GAP (the bike had $7541 in P&A so I figured the bank would baulk if I didn't GAP it) turns out I had more equity in my Road King than I anticipated and rather than redo all the paperwork AGAIN (we redid the 1st time because a system failure and this 2nd time the system kicked it back because there wasn't enough for GAP to cover) I opted to use the GAP money for an extended warranty. Only an extra year but it coincides with my planned trip to Alaska in 2 years, regular warranty will expire just before I leave so this extra year will cover me for that. It was $995 for the year, kinda expensive as I paid $2300 for a 7 year with Tire & Wheel in 2017 on the Road King (I cashed it in and got back $1100 so it's a wash for me).

They offered all the normal stuff, extended warranty, tire and wheel etc but I wondered how they'd handle that if your riding off-road. Discount Tire used to honor my Road Hazzard and I tore those BFG's up when off-roading. They don't give you the actual number though, only the "your payment will be this a month" so ask to see pricing.

You can ABSOLUTELY bargain on the ESP, the dealer matched the online prices when I bought my Road King $2300 for 7 year w/tire and wheel. The online has a better deductible and I'll probably add a couple more years to mine from the online guy. Check the online pricing before you go in or better yet, print it out and bring it in and I bet your sealer will match it.

Quick Reply: The Pan America Owner's thread...