Pan America Pan America Forum Only

The Pan America Owner's thread...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 01:11 PM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

Looks like I'll be getting a Black one with ARH and cast wheels unless the sale of a Gray with spokes and ARH falls through tomorrow. The Black one is in shipment to dealer right now.
Probably will be better off with the cast wheels anyway.

Old 08-13-2021, 01:17 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Cast wheels are easier to clean

The following users liked this post:
Kraz (10-31-2022)
Old 08-13-2021, 05:59 PM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by aviscomi
Cast wheels are easier to clean
You wanna clean the wheels on my Ultra? LOL

Old 08-13-2021, 06:00 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by FDHOG
You wanna clean the wheels on my Ultra? LOL
Been there done that...pain in the *** cleaning the rear wheels on a bagger

Old 08-14-2021, 05:52 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,455 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by aviscomi
Been there done that...pain in the *** cleaning the rear wheels on a bagger
The rear wheel gets cleaned when I get a new tire. LOL!

Old 08-14-2021, 06:04 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,455 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
Well, my bike lost it's virginity today. I dropped it on my driveway while practicing lock to lock figure 8s.

The front engine guard did it's job with a little scratching at the bottom and the left hand side case took a hit, but really only marked the edge of the plastic corner protector which I filed out. The side of the case that mounts to the rack also bent inwards a bit, but I fixed that with a rubber mallet, some leverage and my foot.

And of course I discovered that I could pick the bike up by myself.

All in all, no real drama. A couple of minor marks and a reminder to be careful of damp moss.....
Congrats to you for answering my question on the tip-over protection of that crash bar. Glad to know it worked well. And that is pretty good riding to be able to do full lock figure eights. I am envious. Nice to know that it can also be picked up without help. AS for the scratches on the case, you're probably going to get them when off-road riding anyway...I wouldn't worry about it too much. After all, it's an ADV bike, not a show bike.

Old 08-14-2021, 02:27 PM
BaileyTim
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have dropped mine several times now, gravel and asphalt, screwing around at slow speed. I have the plastic sport bags, and the sides of both got scratched up with some pretty deep gouging into the surface.
I like keeping the bags on when I am doing that stuff, as they protect the rest of the bike pretty good when you go down, but didnot want my side bags looking like crap from the dropps.
I purchased a quart of black truck liner paint on material, it makes a rough service when dried, thought about orange ( white fairing orange tank ) but figured the orange color would stand out too much.
I mask off the sides of both bags, not the entire case just the area surrounding the scratching, used a paint brush and applied it.
It blends in to the cases, and to me at least came out really looking pretty good, it is an adventure bike, the rough texture fits the bike look.
The advantage is when I do it again, and I will, the material is easy enough to paint a little more over the new scrapes.
Because the cases are plastic I needed to do a little pre-application work, some heavy sanding followed by a solvent, but doing this method, the material is is suppose to not peel off the plastic, time will tell on this. It has been about 2 weeks and no signs it is trying to lift off the plastic.

Old 08-14-2021, 05:05 PM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member

How about getting the lower part done with Line-X

Old 08-14-2021, 06:00 PM
BaileyTim
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at Line-x and a few others, not sure about the plastic adhesion. Did a search and found Durabak . The claim is it sticks to plastic, I read many reviews where folks used it in marine settings, on fiberglass and plastic and a bunch of people that used it on 4 x4 vehicles on plastic fenders etc. and Durabak is the only one I found that provides good instructions on how to apply to plastic.
All the reviewers said they had great results, no peeling, holding up to uv from the sun and water.
And it is a do it your self product. They have a spray version if you want to go with that, or a paint brush/roller version which I used.
Very spendy though, I used maybe an 1/8 of a quart can, and sealed up the rest hoping it will last a while and not dry out if I need some more for " fixing " new oops in the future. Shelf life in the can is listed at about a year. They dont sell less than a quart so stuck with buying the larger amount I did not need for my small project.

Old 08-14-2021, 06:34 PM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member

Any pics?

Quick Reply: The Pan America Owner's thread...