Pan America Pan America Forum Only

The Pan America Owner's thread...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 06:45 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,455 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
Harley delivered a clean-sheet bike during a pandemic that caused massive supply chain issues. Crap happens when new products are released (ask Ford). The people here and on other forums who've actually received their bikes have been very candid about both the good and the bad, and I don't think anyone's just waved off the issues the bikes have had.
I don't disagree with anything you said. But I don't get that same attitude from SOME of the others here. I may be more critical of Harley than you think I should. That doesn't mean I'm wrong, and it doesn't mean I'm right either. It just means that I hold them to a higher standard than most people do. It all depends on your view from YOUR porch.

You have griped about the mishandling of the shipments of New PanAms to dealers and the pre-order customers. So you have been a complainer too, in that sense. It wouldn't have been that big a deal to me. It's funny how some see a situation, and call it a problem, while to others the situation isn't even a minor inconvenience.

The following users liked this post:
'05Train (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 07:18 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
I don't disagree with anything you said. But I don't get that same attitude from SOME of the others here. I may be more critical of Harley than you think I should. That doesn't mean I'm wrong, and it doesn't mean I'm right either. It just means that I hold them to a higher standard than most people do. It all depends on your view from YOUR porch.

You have griped about the mishandling of the shipments of New PanAms to dealers and the pre-order customers. So you have been a complainer too, in that sense. It wouldn't have been that big a deal to me. It's funny how some see a situation, and call it a problem, while to others the situation isn't even a minor inconvenience.
Fair enough. I suppose everyone sees "problems" differently.

Add me to the camp that's never been stranded on a Harley. I've had my share of issues, but I've never had to call for a tow.

Old 07-06-2021, 07:48 AM
tjduexjr
Advanced
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I finally joined the owner's group this weekend. I ran out of patience waiting for a bike to arrive at the original dealer where I made my reservation back in March. Did some research and found a dealer with a bike on the floor that matched what I wanted (creamsicle, ARH, wire wheels). I've completed the 500 mile break-in period. Having a blast!

The following 3 users liked this post by tjduexjr:
'05Train (07-06-2021), Jed Clampett (07-06-2021), user 7298720 (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 09:38 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,455 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
Fair enough. I suppose everyone sees "problems" differently.

Add me to the camp that's never been stranded on a Harley. I've had my share of issues, but I've never had to call for a tow.
I get into trouble a lot when I criticize Harley, or some things about their bikes. I want everybody to know that Iove my Harley just as much as the next guy here. I've always said that if you are going to travel, there's only two bikes to really consider: Harleys ( RKs, RGs, and Glides) and Goldwings. And TRAVEL is the key word here. All bikes have problems from time to time. The extent of the problem is what makes the difference if you're traveling. Harley and Honda have the most extensive network of dealers that can help you when you have an issue. No other bike manufacturer even comes close.

If I rag on Harley too much about the PanAm, I'll calm down. It's just that I wanted the PanAm to be THE bike for ME. It was going to be everything I needed. I was SO excited about it. Then Harley kept delaying it. Then they finally put it out at bike shows but nobody could touch it or sit on it. AND, the FINAL KILLER( for me)....darn CHAIN DRIVE! So I understand all of you being so excited about getting this new bike. I GET IT! I hope that these little issues aren't many, I hope they all get fixed in a hurry. And I want all of you to enjoy your new PanAms.

The following 2 users liked this post by GOV5:
'05Train (07-06-2021), Jed Clampett (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 10:37 AM
paul463
Novice
Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Pan America Special

Purchased my PA1250S on Friday, July 2. Rode 300 miles on July 4th. Smooth and nimble is the best way to describe it. Traded a 2020 RGS for it and no buyers/seller's remorse.

Have the black aluminum panniers and mounting brackets on order along with a top case mounting bracket. May stick with soft luggage instead of a hard case for tail luggage.

I find the interaction between my iPhone, Cardo Packtalk Bold, and the HD system very finicky. It worked well thew first day and now I can't get the three items to cooperate with each other.
(I just ordered a Garmin Zumo XT which I will connect with my BT headset and phone and disregard connecting to the bike).

Still in the "break in" period but am very satisfied with the bike thus far. Looking forward to adding additional protection when the items become available from HD.

The following 4 users liked this post by paul463:
Bunker (07-06-2021), Jed Clampett (07-06-2021), rauchman (07-13-2021), roadrunner1414 (07-06-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 04:29 AM
Idahoboi
Tourer

Received 458 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by paul463
Purchased my PA1250S on Friday, July 2. Rode 300 miles on July 4th. Smooth and nimble is the best way to describe it. Traded a 2020 RGS for it and no buyers/seller's remorse.

Have the black aluminum panniers and mounting brackets on order along with a top case mounting bracket. May stick with soft luggage instead of a hard case for tail luggage.

I find the interaction between my iPhone, Cardo Packtalk Bold, and the HD system very finicky. It worked well thew first day and now I can't get the three items to cooperate with each other.
(I just ordered a Garmin Zumo XT which I will connect with my BT headset and phone and disregard connecting to the bike).

Still in the "break in" period but am very satisfied with the bike thus far. Looking forward to adding additional protection when the items become available from HD.
It’s not just Harley. My BMW 1250GSAs TFT display didn’t play well with my Cardo system either; just bypassed the display and connected directly to my phone. However, the Zumo XT works very well with the iPhone and Cardo. I love the sound coming from the JBL speakers.

Old 07-07-2021, 01:53 PM
3dognate
Tourer
Received 341 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by paul463
I have learned to make sure my Headset is off before I turn on the bike... gives the bike time to pair with the phone. Then once the bike is running and the phone is paired and the display says. "No headset connected" instead of "Phone not connected" (or whatever the actual message is.) then I turn on my headset and things pair up and cooperate well. If I don't turn my headset off first it seems like its 50:50 if it'll pair with my phone and keep the phone from pairing with the bike or it'll do everything as it should.

The following users liked this post:
rauchman (07-15-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 02:22 PM
upwgdrb
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope I am using the right thread. I am strongly considering the PA. For me it would be a Sports Tourer. I have had a test rode and was surprised. Light, rides great plenty of power and the technology I think bikes should have.
I have a BMW R1200RT I use for some light touring and would be trading this along with a sports bike. I do ride two up often. I am 5’11” 200 and she is 5’8” 125. We are just the opposite. I have a 30” inch inseam and she has a 31” inseam.
I live in Georgia our weather is fairly good year round. Some very cold and right now hot as usual.
The BMW dealer is always trying to get me on an S1000XR. It’s just too tall. The Ride height adjustment is a game changer. I wouldn’t consider a bike like this without it.
I am looking for current owners thoughts.
How is the bike for two up?
Would my passenger feel cramped ?
Any concerns with height ? Do you think of it as top heavy? That is one of my issues with the RT.
Any other things I should consider?

The RT is a great bike with superior wind protection.Wind protection and winter riding is a loss here.. of course the PA is cooler during the summer.I hate to say this when I look at the RT I think tool vs look at that beauty.

I have had Harleys before. My local dealer is ok. They are all so large you get lost. My BMW guy is small and calls me by name when I walk in the door which is nice.

Last edited by upwgdrb; 07-07-2021 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 02:53 PM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 491 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by upwgdrb
I hope I am using the right thread. I am strongly considering the PA. For me it would be a Sports Tourer. I have had a test rode and was surprised. Light, rides great plenty of power and the technology I think bikes should have.
I have a BMW R1200RT I use for some light touring and would be trading this along with a sports bike. I do ride two up often. I am 5’11” 200 and she is 5’8” 125. We are just the opposite. I have a 30” inch inseam and she has a 31” inseam.
I live in Georgia our weather is fairly good year round. Some very cold and right now hot as usual.
The BMW dealer is always trying to get me on an S1000XR. It’s just too tall. The Ride height adjustment is a game changer. I wouldn’t consider a bike like this without it.
Any concerns with height ? Do you think of it as top heavy? That is one of my issues with the RT.

The RT is a great bike with superior wind protection.Wind protection and winter riding is a loss here.. of course the PA is cooler during the summer.I hate to say this when I look at the RT I think tool vs look at that beauty.

I have had Harleys before. My local dealer is ok. They are all so large you get lost. My BMW guy is small and calls me by name when I walk in the door which is nice.
I haven't done any 2-up nor do I plan to, there's not a ton of room back there but your wife seems small enough that I don't think it would be an issue.

The ARH will be your game changer for sure and if I were you and grab your wife and head over to the HD dealer (maybe another) and go try it out with her on the back. Remember you can also adjust the seat and if that doesn't work there is another low version also.

Dealer network was a big deal for me and I enjoy going to all the dealers and collecting poker chips (yup, totally drank the coolaid).

I ran in the rain pretty much all the way back from my trip. 2 days of wet and damp and 1 day of downpours. Wet weather pants and my Alpinestars jacket and I was relatively dry, cheap wet weather pants and summer gloves didn't hold up well lol. Windshield does and ok job but no real fairing protection, it's not none existent but you'd have more for sure on the S1000XR.

Yeah, go ride both and see what the wife likes best but for sure give the PA a look, it really is a great bike and the dealer network is the best imo

The following 2 users liked this post by Bunker:
3dognate (07-07-2021), upwgdrb (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 05:19 PM
user 7298720
Banned
Received 186 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by upwgdrb

I have done some 2-up with my wife, and she was quite honestly shocked about how comfortable it was. Mind you, we have only done a 2 hour ride as our longest, but she had no complains.

The bike is definitely not top heavy, I'm amazed at how light it feels. It's really hard for me to find faults with the bike, outside of the few gremlins, to be honest...

The following 4 users liked this post by user 7298720:
HrishiP (07-09-2021), Idahoboi (07-08-2021), Jed Clampett (07-07-2021), upwgdrb (07-07-2021)

Quick Reply: The Pan America Owner's thread...