Pan America Pan America Forum Only

The Pan America Owner's thread...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 06:59 PM
biglew55
Road Captain

Received 454 Likes on 241 Posts

Would any new owners want to test if the cruise control can be set above 90? That's a limitation on the touring bikes and can be a pita out west.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:19 PM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,206 Likes on 942 Posts

Originally Posted by biglew55
Would any new owners want to test if the cruise control can be set above 90? That's a limitation on the touring bikes and can be a pita out west.
While "Operating on a Closed Course" here are my observations:

The cruise cannot be engaged above 85mph. HOWEVER, you can set it at 85mph and bump it up a mph at a time. The highest speed I had the cruise engaged was 93mph. I don't know what speed is the top speed you can achieve. I assume because the highest legal speed limit I've seen is 85 mph in the US

The following users liked this post:
biglew55 (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 10:32 PM
BaileyTim
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default new foot pegs

Anyone try the 80 grit rider pegs yet ? I am looking at those to give me a little more foot support on long rides. That said, I ride with heavy off road dirt style motorcycle boots. Switched to those after I went down on a Road Glide riding engineer style boots and broke up my left foot pretty good.
Because these boots are industrial strength and large, there is not allot of room to get my toe under the Pan Am shift lever to up shift.
I am worried that the 80 grit pegs being wider, might make the space between the shift peg and the foot rest even smaller. None at the local Dealer to take a look at and the photos I have seen only show them out of the box on display, none mounted on a bike.
I went ahead and order the Rox Risers. Contacted them today, and they told me that have sold a set to a Pan American owner who installed them. They are claiming no cable length changes, Sent me 3 photos the owner sent them.
Told me this:Yes we have had folks install these on the Pan America. What we know. The post on the bottom of our riser is about a ¼ inch short from going all the way through the handlebar clamp. However, it does clamp nice and tight with no issues. The other thing that has been noted is that you start to see the bend of the bar on the outside of our risers. Some folks have thought that the bar is not sitting in the riser properly because of that. Where the risers clamp to the bar, it sits flush and clamps there properly. You simply see that because the risers sit outside the factory clamps but come back over the top of the clamps to properly clamp the bars in place. I included a picture of this.

The cables and lines are long enough to accommodate a 2 inch riser. I hope this helps.
Asked them if there was a plan to make a mount with a little longer cylinder rod to take care of the gap, and the response was :Thank you for ordering! Possibly a future change on those. I’m not sure when it will happen though. Things are very busy here.

I will take my own set of photos when I install mine, along with what ever I have to adjust on the cables.

Old 06-16-2021, 10:51 PM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,206 Likes on 942 Posts

Originally Posted by BaileyTim
I went ahead and order the Rox Risers. Contacted them today, and they told me that have sold a set to a Pan American owner who installed them. They are claiming no cable length changes, Sent me 3 photos the owner sent them.
Told me this:Yes we have had folks install these on the Pan America. What we know. The post on the bottom of our riser is about a ¼ inch short from going all the way through the handlebar clamp. However, it does clamp nice and tight with no issues. The other thing that has been noted is that you start to see the bend of the bar on the outside of our risers. Some folks have thought that the bar is not sitting in the riser properly because of that. Where the risers clamp to the bar, it sits flush and clamps there properly. You simply see that because the risers sit outside the factory clamps but come back over the top of the clamps to properly clamp the bars in place. I included a picture of this.

The cables and lines are long enough to accommodate a 2 inch riser. I hope this helps.
Asked them if there was a plan to make a mount with a little longer cylinder rod to take care of the gap, and the response was :Thank you for ordering! Possibly a future change on those. I’m not sure when it will happen though. Things are very busy here.

I will take my own set of photos when I install mine, along with what ever I have to adjust on the cables.

I just got a set, last week end, in black. Ordered thru Cycle gear. Debating whether or not I'm going to mount them. Getting used to the slight lean forward. If I do mount them, I'm going to mount them inside out.

Old 06-17-2021, 07:18 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I'm patiently waiting for Pivot Pegz to become available for our bikes. Those things are amazing.

https://pivotpegz.com

Old 06-17-2021, 07:43 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,988 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Anyone try the 80 grit rider pegs yet ? I am looking at those to give me a little more foot support on long rides. That said, I ride with heavy off road dirt style motorcycle boots. Switched to those after I went down on a Road Glide riding engineer style boots and broke up my left foot pretty good.
Because these boots are industrial strength and large, there is not allot of room to get my toe under the Pan Am shift lever to up shift.
I am worried that the 80 grit pegs being wider, might make the space between the shift peg and the foot rest even smaller. None at the local Dealer to take a look at and the photos I have seen only show them out of the box on display, none mounted on a bike.
The bike I rode had the 80 grit rider pegs, liked them better than stock. Had the 80 grit shift peg too. I had no issue but my boot is fairly thin.

I will check this afternoon if they still have a stock bike if it changes the space between peg and shifter.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:16 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 491 Likes on 312 Posts

HA! that's my bike

Also, I have the 80 grit pegs, I wear Forma Terra Evo's and after adjusting my shifter a tad, zero issues.

The following users liked this post:
Jed Clampett (06-17-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 09:52 AM
hdxbones
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

I wear size 14 Klim adventure boots, and had to adjust the shifter position to accommodate the stock peg and shifter. I ordered the 80 grit pegs for mine, and after overlaying them on the stock pegs, I decided I would lose too much room for adequate shifting, and decided against them. I would like to find a longer peg in the same width.

Old 06-17-2021, 10:26 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by hdxbones
I wear size 14 Klim adventure boots, and had to adjust the shifter position to accommodate the stock peg and shifter. I ordered the 80 grit pegs for mine, and after overlaying them on the stock pegs, I decided I would lose too much room for adequate shifting, and decided against them. I would like to find a longer peg in the same width.
This is where the Pivot Pegz shine.

Old 06-17-2021, 10:46 AM
Dan D.
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,718 Likes on 890 Posts

My buddy had those pivot pegs and took them off the next day. Said they were junk.

I'm sure some people love them though.

Quick Reply: The Pan America Owner's thread...