Pan America Pan America Forum Only

Harley-Davidson's Revolution Max Lineup Set to Expand

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 08:28 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,205 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by dceggert
The earnings report was clear, HD is making serious changes to the cycle plan to save money. Unfortunately for the Pan America, canceling all the other variants that were going to use the Revolution Max engine will now make the PA very expensive. Think millions to design and develop to manufacture an engine for 3000 bikes (if that).

A company cannot 'cut' their way to prosperity. Saving money now means more cuts later. With these engines ready for production (7 months to the introduction is production ready) that cost needs to be spread out over a lot of product to recoup the investment.

I hope all the news is wrong. To me it looked like it would be a new Sportster lineup. If this CEO keeps the 1950's Sportster instead it will be a huge mistake.

As for me I was planning on riding one of the first PA's available and buying it if I liked it. Now I may hold off a year or two to see if it is still around.

I have to agree. I think Harley was on the road to some great improvements. They are now back sliding to their comfort zone. The comfort zone that is slowly killing them.

The following users liked this post:
Pugslycat01 (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 08:56 AM
-Boogieman-
Road Master
Received 1,346 Likes on 546 Posts

Too bad, I had high hopes for the Bronx...

The following users liked this post:
firehawk6 (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 05:23 PM
Pugslycat01
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

The earnings report was clear, HD is making serious changes to the cycle plan to save money. Unfortunately for the Pan America, canceling all the other variants that were going to use the Revolution Max engine will now make the PA very expensive. Think millions to design and develop to manufacture an engine for 3000 bikes (if that).
I know what you mean. I've been on a number of projects over the years that the sales guys knew weren't going to make money, but they sold higher management on the promise of follow on sales that never developed.
A company cannot 'cut' their way to prosperity. Saving money now means more cuts later. With these engines ready for production (7 months to the introduction is production ready) that cost needs to be spread out over a lot of product to recoup the investment.
Designing a new engine isn't cheap. You would think that H-D would know that from the Revolution and Revolution X engines, neither of which went into all that many bikes. I look at the Kawasaki website and see that they put the same parallel twin 650cc engine in 16 models of 5 different styles. They do the same with other engine sizes. That's how a company makes money. Develop an engine once and sell many copies by sticking it in enough different bikes that you will likely have one that appeals to each of many types of buyers.
I hope all the news is wrong. To me it looked like it would be a new Sportster lineup. If this CEO keeps the 1950's Sportster instead it will be a huge mistake.
I figured they would roll the Sportsters and Streets into one integrated product line with the new engines, plus adding the street naked and ADV lines in multiple displacements. Ideally they would be able to keep something we would recognize as a Sportster in a retro classic line and have modern looking, mid-sized bikes marketed alongside.
Originally Posted by VAFish
I think Harley was on the road to some great improvements. They are now back sliding to their comfort zone. The comfort zone that is slowly killing them.
Exactly. The MoCo pretty much owns the heavyweight cruiser market in North America, which is most of that market segment globally. They aren't going to expand their market share without selling some other kind of motorcycle like all of their global competitors do.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:31 AM
shilo.iskander
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Curated Content Editor
Harley-Davidson's Revolution Max Lineup Set to Expand
By Bruce Montcombroux

These new models are a bid to
Originally Posted by Curated Content Editor
Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin attract new and younger riders.

They should have done that and a scrambler when they first came out with the Street series.