Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

Ride California coast - June or Sept?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007 | 02:06 AM
tom1340
|
Novice
Default Ride California coast - June or Sept?

I am sure this is the year for my wife and I to ride up California coast.We are thinking first half of June or in September after Labor day. My idea is to have good weather but avoid the summer vacation traffic. I hope tohit the coast roadabout Morro Bay and go to Oregon state line. If anyone has suggestion about what would be best month, I will appreciate your comments.
Thanks
Tom, in Tulsa
(I posted this on Touring forum before I realized there were regional forums)

Old 03-05-2007 | 11:48 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: Ride California coast - June or Sept?

I'd rather do a September ride for a couple reasons.

1. weather is often better. June can get really foggy compared to September.
2. Roads are often cleaner. Lots of slides and rocks on the road because of the rains. By September they are pretty clean.

Once you get up north (close to Eureka) it can be fairly cold even after the fog burns off. Bring clothes for cold and warm.
Also bring plenty of cleaner for your glasses/face shield/windshield. The oil from the surf will need to be cleaned quite often.

Old 03-09-2007 | 09:48 PM
Pixs
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

I'd rather do a September ride for a couple reasons.

1. weather is often better. June can get really foggy compared to September.
2. Roads are often cleaner. Lots of slides and rocks on the road because of the rains. By September they are pretty clean.

Once you get up north (close to Eureka) it can be fairly cold even after the fog burns off. Bring clothes for cold and warm.
Also bring plenty of cleaner for your glasses/face shield/windshield. The oil from the surf will need to be cleaned quite often.

Good info, thanks Rhubarb, I was thinking about Hollister on the 4th of July and then up the coast.

Old 03-13-2007 | 01:45 AM
Bluerose

Hubby and I went up through Yosemite in mid-Septit was perfect because school is back in session. In early June Schools start to get out and the traffic gets worse.

The only thing I can say about Sept is that the daylight hours our shorter and a chill is in the air much earlier. We planned to be settled by 6 pm every night to keep the chill off and stay off the windy unfamiliar roads at night. The day time temps were perfect....and it was an awesome ride.