CA/Mexican Border - CA/ Oregon Border Run

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default CA/Mexican Border - CA/ Oregon Border Run

I know someone here has done this.

Last year a couple of buddies and I rode as far as San Quentin and then back across the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco and back to the L.A. area and a little further south. Took the 101 route pretty much both ways.

Thinking about going up via the coast and coming back down to the L.A. area via the 5 to change up the scenery. Looking at mid to late June once my school chauffeuring duties are over for the school year.

Anybody care to share any insights, routes, places to see or eat?

Thank you in advance.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:01 PM
porterjet
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Compared to 1/101 5 is the second most gawdawful road on the west coast. Only 99 is worse. Obviously if you are short on time you don't have much choice. If you have any time at all I would get over to the Sierra Foothills. You might want to hightail in north first then work your way south along the coast. That way you get the real feel of almost driving over the edge.
There are about 8000 things to do/see along the coast route, it pretty much depends on your tastes.
San Luis Obispo is a nice college town with plenty of restaurants and bars downtown. Heck there is even a Mission and quite possibly a coed or two out shopping. It is also home to my mortgage.
Morro Bay has a nice embarcadero/tourist trap with several good seafood restaurants.
Hearst Castle if you have a day to kill. Not much gas from there to Carmel. Be prepared to bend over for gas along what is otherwise the jewel of Hwy 1 south of Big Sur. Also be prepared for RV's and slow driving during the summer.
I've done the drive, by car, from SLO to Seattle several times on several routes. LA to Crescent City can take 3 days or 3 weeks.