Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

My Scariest Ride Ever -- Today!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006 | 02:11 AM
adamzapple
|
Cruiser
Default My Scariest Ride Ever -- Today!

In SoCal we're used to perfect weather year round so I was shocked to find ice at 4000' on Hwy 33 above Ojai this morning. I sawsnow on the hills and signs saying chains required but it was 70 degrees so I said WTF. At 5000' there was a nasty 100 yards of ice on the road but I was now starting to descend so I thought I'd just keep going rather than face what I'd just been through. Big mistake. I was on the shady side of the mountains and even though I was descending, the ice was getting worse and worse. Plus it was hairpin bends all the way down. I knew if I even touched the brakes, I'd skid and tip over instantly. The front tire was already wobbling on the ice. I knew I had one shot. I put the bike into first gear and keeping my speed between 5-10 mph I made my way down the hill zigzagging around the ice when I could. To my great relief, I made it down to the flats and ended up doing a great ride. 33 North, 166 West, Tepusquet Road to Foxen Canyon to Palmer Road, 101 to 154 and back home. 400 miles and no bones broken! I'm going to pay attention to traffic signs from now on.

Old 12-31-2006 | 02:22 AM
uj034
Tourer
Default RE: My Scariest Ride Ever -- Today!

I rode Azusa canyon today. There was some black ice. But only few fts. But scary.
Ride safe.

Old 12-31-2006 | 12:25 PM
harleyxlc
Road Master

I've had the same experience on Mt Palomar. Ice is the worst.

Old 12-31-2006 | 04:18 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member

To all SoCal riders from the midwest:
HA ha!!!
NYAH-nyah nyah NYAH nyah!!!!!!!!

Old 12-31-2006 | 04:20 PM
anubisss
Banned

That is why I am still at home...I am glad you made it back ok...

Old 12-31-2006 | 08:29 PM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior

Glad you made it back. Ice is no good, seen too many cars wipe out after hitting the ice.

Old 01-01-2007 | 12:46 AM
FACTION95
Road Master

Wow

ride safe

Old 01-13-2007 | 02:33 AM
Bluerose

Hey we might have passed you! we would have been in a Silver Murano though....I was not feeling so good so we decided to do road scouting (haven't been up that part of the 33 yet)...hit the same ice patches....we were going north and took Lockwood Valley over to the 5 and back home.

Hit some water on the first 10 mph turn on Lockwood Valley (it crosses what is probably a dry river in summer). Took alot of mental notes. On that ride.

Old 01-14-2007 | 01:56 AM
kwgrimes
Cruiser

Adam, glad to see you made it home safely... yeah, next time, better stay at homeI did a little slip sliding away last weekend up in Lake Arrowhead in the truck. My buddy was right behind me in an H2 and he almost ran me over going down a small hill -- I'm real glad I had 4 wheels under me,

Its supposed to be warmer tomorrow. So I spent the day cleaning the bike ... ready for show and tell tomorrow at the local establishment. My plan is to stay on the sunny side of the street...

Old 01-15-2007 | 04:43 AM
brokenfingers
Advanced

Riding home from the dealership today and missed my exit, bike was running just awesome and got distracted by that. Trying to turn around and exited the freeway... started into ice almost immediately... but no biggie, can't turn around and I could dodge around it... big mistake hit a 300 ft. solid patch of melting ice and that was all she wrote, my ultra went down faster than a tiawana crack *****. Got her up and slipped her into a parking spot, called harley road side assistance and they loaded her on the back of a flat bed and hauled her the rest of the way. Ice aint something to screw around with.

Quick Reply: My Scariest Ride Ever -- Today!