Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

Coast highway

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006 | 09:45 PM
Road Toad
|
Road Warrior
Default Coast highway

Planning a ride up the coast highway to Portland Or. in April. What is the weather like going that way that time of year? Any fog to worry about? Will ride up the4 Coast Hwy and back 395.

Old 12-24-2006 | 04:05 PM
NW FXSTS
Road Captain
Default RE: Coast highway

As a resident of the NW, I ca honestly say the weather here is still very much unpredictable in april and may. You could have fog, snow, rain or sun. In fact the weatherman can predict all three in the same day. Awesome ride, why not wait for June July August?

Old 12-24-2006 | 07:53 PM
Road Toad
|
Road Warrior

Have to schedule rides around the wifes work schedule. She is off a week in April. THen we are planning on going to Colorado in June for the Haul *** to the pass ride, and in July-August 3-4 week ride all across the states.
So many rides, so little time,,,,,,

Old 12-25-2006 | 12:40 PM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior

I am planning on riding up to the light house run in sept (coos bay)
what will the weather be like then ? think I will take the 5 up though so cal coast ride can be a bear that time of year may plan on coast ride back at least as far as frisco

[IMG]local://upfiles/5757/1E7FB66DA8A34B37966104C69F063962.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-26-2006 | 03:22 AM
Stelis
Cruiser

I rode up the Coast Hwy to Portland in June last Summer, and it was COLD from Eureka to Astoria, and rained in Astoria all the way along the Columbia to The Dalles.

Old 12-26-2006 | 07:41 AM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Marine Corp

I rode Hwy 1 and 101 in June from San Luis Obispo to Brookings, Oregon. Cold and fog in the mornings - full leathers. Afternoons were warmer but leather was still comfortable. Take raingear and long underwear and dress in layers.

Old 12-26-2006 | 04:16 PM
BIGSKY_FLHXI
Road Master

June, July and August are the only months you can count on sun. Any other time is probably rain. Spring and Fall it is usually cool/cold in the mornings/evenings and warm in the afternoonswith rain is always in the forcast. Grumpy.....September should be okay.

Old 12-28-2006 | 01:48 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

as another NW resident, I can confirm the other posts. In April you will get everything, and possibly in one day. Be prepared for wet and cold, even if it isnt raining. For sure a full face helmet trip, and just because the sun comes out.... that may not be a good indicator to take your rain gear off, it could change again in a couple of curves. Even though you can get good days on the coast in April, it is more likely you will get fog/rain/mist/etc, than sun and warm.

Another note - plan on the trip taking longer than you would expect. There are small towns all along the Oregon coast, you will be slowing for speed limits constantly.... and you will be behind folks that don't go the speed limit when you are between towns (motorhomes, trucks, grandma, etc).
Mapquest says 7.5 hours from Brookings to Astoria doing the posted speed limits... I would plan on that taking two days. If you want to enjoy yourself, stop for the sights, eat, get gas, plan on three days.

Old 12-28-2006 | 09:11 PM
Road Toad
|
Road Warrior

Rain I can handle, cold I can deal with, FOG SUCKS!!!
Maybe I'll rethink the trip and go to Tombstone and New Mexico in April, the up the coast in July.
Thanks for the info guys.

Old 12-29-2006 | 08:58 AM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Road Toad

Rain I can handle, cold I can deal with, FOG SUCKS!!!
Maybe I'll rethink the trip and go to Tombstone and New Mexico in April, the up the coast in July.
Thanks for the info guys.
its not fog like you see in the San Jaquin valley, its more like a cloud bank that will just sit on the coastline. So, its sort of like driving in fog, but its raining as well.

Personally, I think its a wise choice to head to the SW during that time. Unless you are a gluton for punishment, the northern coast before July is just to f'd up. Even during the summer you never really know what you will get, but the odds are more in your favor.

Quick Reply: Coast highway