Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

Run To The Cascades Sept 9-11

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 03:58 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I was going until I hit a deer 40 miles east of Prineville on Hwy 26 last Sunday coming back from the Bronze Run. Officer, tow truck drivers, Emergency Respond Team and the Prineville Urgent Care folks all said they are gearing up for the Run. Ya'll be careful and watch out for Bambi.
Jack

Attached Thumbnails Run To The Cascades Sept 9-11-photo0310.jpg  
Old 08-24-2011, 10:21 PM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, that sucks. Did you get hurt? Hope not. Hows your bike? Im used to seeing deer. I live in east Bend. Lots of deer out here. Im pretty careful but you never know when one of those little bastards will run out in front of you.

Stone

Old 08-25-2011, 02:38 AM
priceamp
Road Captain

Thanks for asking. The bike and I went down low side on the right side and slid 40 yrds on the crash bars, throttle grip and pipes. Those are trash but all else seems ok. I only had my vest on, so I got big time road rash on both arms. Once I hit the ground and realized I was sliding on the payment with bare skin, I rolled to my back. Damn thing must have darted out from my left side, 'cause it sure in the hell wasn't in the road. I was pulling a hill at 61 mph about to take a right curve so my eyes were peeled on the road, but I sure in the hell didn't see it.

Attached Thumbnails Run To The Cascades Sept 9-11-photo0312.jpg  
Old 08-25-2011, 03:18 PM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like you made out ok. Thats good. Just think, (the road rash, Chicks dig scars. LOL

Old 08-25-2011, 04:24 PM
ZZZCICI
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL.... Usually I'm a day late and a dollar short...
This time it is a few days early.. going to see Crater L. and planning on taking in the lava beds of No. Cal. leaving seattle area wknd of Aug26th.
Should roll through prineville area about mid week.

Do you happen to know how much time to allow for the lava beds?
Thinking about taking US97 to Weed, then CA89 - 299 - 139 back to Klamath F.
I'm trying to figure the ride time only , not the stop n gawk times.

I'll take priceamp's encounter with bambi as a stern warning when I get there.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:46 AM
priceamp
Road Captain

So did anybody go? Can you give the lowdown if you did go. Pissed I couldn't make it. Was it smoky that weekend? Thanks

Old 09-17-2011, 11:10 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

I have friends that live in the area so I was invited to go with them. It was smokey on the way there but not bad once I got to Bend and it wasn't very far to Prineville from there. We rode in the 9/11 memorial ride and that was pretty good. The police did a pretty good job blocking the intersections so we could ride through without any problems. There were a lot of people standing on the sidewalks waving to us as we went by, it felt pretty good to see their reactions to us. For those that like looking at bikes, there was a pretty good variety to look at. For those that like looking at girls, I saw several that knew how to put their pants on right and also did a pretty good job of advertising what they had to offer. I was told that the last rally was 10 years ago, so not sure if that had an effect on the size of this one or not. They had a lot of BBQ and it smelled great. The Elks put on a all you can eat biker breakfast at a fair price so that is where we ate. It is a small rally compared to some but I enjoyed my first time there. Each to his/her own, but I had a nice time there. Granted, having just come back from Sturgis a couple of weeks earlier, it seem very small in comparison, but what rally wouldn't. I would say, give it a try sometime and see what you think.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:05 PM
priceamp
Road Captain

Thanks for taking the time to summarize your time there. I know what you mean about "once at Sturgis". If you read the previous posts in this thread, you'll see I was going to attend this rally until I met Bambi. As it turns out my road rash healed quick enough for me to go and do they whole camping thang etc, but I didn't get my bike totally back together until last week. And my touring gear is still in shreads.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:49 PM
footclutch
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SPRINGER
I have friends that live in the area so I was invited to go with them. It was smokey on the way there but not bad once I got to Bend and it wasn't very far to Prineville from there. We rode in the 9/11 memorial ride and that was pretty good. The police did a pretty good job blocking the intersections so we could ride through without any problems. There were a lot of people standing on the sidewalks waving to us as we went by, it felt pretty good to see their reactions to us. For those that like looking at bikes, there was a pretty good variety to look at. For those that like looking at girls, I saw several that knew how to put their pants on right and also did a pretty good job of advertising what they had to offer. I was told that the last rally was 10 years ago, so not sure if that had an effect on the size of this one or not. They had a lot of BBQ and it smelled great. The Elks put on a all you can eat biker breakfast at a fair price so that is where we ate. It is a small rally compared to some but I enjoyed my first time there. Each to his/her own, but I had a nice time there. Granted, having just come back from Sturgis a couple of weeks earlier, it seem very small in comparison, but what rally wouldn't. I would say, give it a try sometime and see what you think.
as it was mentioned in the first couple posts, this was held just last year at stevensons ranch off knot rd. in bend OR. The whole 9/11 resurrection thing was actually a very tasteless add campaign that was aimed towards the vets and other patriots to try to drum up business. There were alot of rumors started locally, and some a few hundred miles away about the amount of tickets pre sold, 4-5 thousand lol. Vendors lost money, vets were told to suck it and pay 25$ at the gate, no sons of anarchy, harley demo was on the other side of town, and no blue angels for the "resurrection". The city counsel down here was told the pre sold number lies too, so state police decided to get involved and up the numbers of officers. there were almost as many cops as rubes. I was told by a trooper (the first time i got pulled over) that they were told there was going to be alot of people in town for this? sorry about your road rash, but you probably had a better story than if you had been here.