Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

2011 Pacific Northwest HDForums Rally!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 11:10 PM
Trey Hogger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stopped in at the resort around 1:00 today, but EVERYone was out riding the area I guess, since the place looked deserted. I wandered around for a few minutes and headed out. Sorry I missed you all, but it was still a great ride making the loop from tri-cities through Bickelton to Goldendale, and then home via Hwy 14 along the Columbia. You get everything from golden yellow wheat fields to pine forests to scrub brush and lava rocks - long straight-aways to sweepers to the canyon twisties. All the way over and back I had the roads to myself, till I got to the intersection of 14 and I-82, where I shared the road with about a dozen emergency vehicles surrounding a big grass fire right alongside the freeway. Made for a dark and smokey few minutes till I got past it.
Fun ride, but sorry again I didn't get to meet anyone. Maybe another time.
I hope everyone has a good time and safe rides home.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:57 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trey Hogger
I stopped in at the resort around 1:00 today, but EVERYone was out riding the area I guess, since the place looked deserted. I wandered around for a few minutes and headed out. Sorry I missed you all, but it was still a great ride making the loop from tri-cities through Bickelton to Goldendale, and then home via Hwy 14 along the Columbia. You get everything from golden yellow wheat fields to pine forests to scrub brush and lava rocks - long straight-aways to sweepers to the canyon twisties. All the way over and back I had the roads to myself, till I got to the intersection of 14 and I-82, where I shared the road with about a dozen emergency vehicles surrounding a big grass fire right alongside the freeway. Made for a dark and smokey few minutes till I got past it.
Fun ride, but sorry again I didn't get to meet anyone. Maybe another time.
I hope everyone has a good time and safe rides home.
I had a similar day myself. I decided to take I-82 to Granger, 223 to Toppenish, then 97 on down to Pine Springs Resort. According to Mapquest that would be the quickest route (by 50 minutes) as opposed to my earlier plans to take Hwy 14.

Since you guys were going on a Saturday morning ride before 10:00 and would be back at the resort for lunch, I just timed my ride to get there for lunch. I got there around 11:30. I saw your little tent city, but not a bike or person left behind.

The lady at the coffee shack told me that the group had left about 10 minutes before, but told me to talk to the lady in the restaurant who would know more. I walked into the restaurant and found the lady. She told me that the group left about 15 minutes earlier, had waited around for a while, but since (she) didn't show up, they were taking off and left their itinerary: They were gassing up in Goldendale and headed for Lyle for lunch and would be back around 4:00. Well, I planned on heading home at 4:00, didn't want to hang around an empty campground for 4 plus hours, just to leave when you got back, but wanted to meet you guys.

I took off for Goldendale at full throttle. At the first gas station I see, I go inside and ask if a group of bikers had just been there, he said they had. I asked which way was Lyle and he pointed and said about 40 miles. I left my maps at home, so after the first fork in the road I pulled over to retrieve my GPS from the saddle bag. It was locked and I didn't know how to unlock it. I guess it locked if it wasn't turned on at home and I had no idea on how to unlock it. A guy pulled into the same turn-in and I walked over and asked him where Lyle was. He pointed the way and said about 20 miles and I couldn't miss it. Off I go, but pull over 1/4 mile down the road, I had forgotten to buckle my helmet back on. I was too intent on catching up!

I pull into Lyle about 12:30 and cruised town for restaurants with bikes and there weren't any.

Whew, I just spent most of an hour of white knuckle riding trying to catch you guys and you weren't there. I had cars flashing their lights warning me of cops ahead, passed a few cops with people pulled over or in the midst of pulling people over, all the while I wasn't slowing down.

From Lyle I rode back to Goldendale, gassed up and ate at the Dairy Queen where a guy in a gray minivan approached me and asked if I part of the group. After further conversation, it turned out that he was the father of one of the guys playing in the band for you guys and his daughter was also headed up to meet them at Pine Springs Resort.

I headed home via Hwy 14. That was a blast, 80 to 100 MPH short straights and not a cop in sight. I took the Hwy 221 exit and made the trip back from Goldendale in 100 minutes.

I'm sure you guys had a good time. I wish I was there.

Randy

Old 08-21-2011, 04:59 PM
HolePuncher
Cruiser

What a great weekend. I had a blast with everybody. New friends and good rides. Some of you I'll see later and some of you I'll see next year.
Lonn

Old 08-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Geezer2
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry we missed you guys. It was great meeting you Lonn. Lets see if I can get some pics up.

Attached Thumbnails 2011 Pacific Northwest HDForums Rally!-img_0793.jpg   2011 Pacific Northwest HDForums Rally!-dscn0130.jpg   2011 Pacific Northwest HDForums Rally!-dscn0133.jpg   2011 Pacific Northwest HDForums Rally!-img_0796.jpg   2011 Pacific Northwest HDForums Rally!-img_0798.jpg  

Old 08-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Geezer2
Ultimate HDF Member

More...

Attached Thumbnails 2011 Pacific Northwest HDForums Rally!-img_0800.jpg   2011 Pacific Northwest HDForums Rally!-img_0802.jpg   2011 Pacific Northwest HDForums Rally!-img_0803.jpg   2011 Pacific Northwest HDForums Rally!-img_0804.jpg   2011 Pacific Northwest HDForums Rally!-img_0805.jpg  

Old 08-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Geezer2
Ultimate HDF Member

More....

Attached Thumbnails 2011 Pacific Northwest HDForums Rally!-img_0806.jpg   2011 Pacific Northwest HDForums Rally!-img_0801.jpg   2011 Pacific Northwest HDForums Rally!-img_0799.jpg   2011 Pacific Northwest HDForums Rally!-dscn0136.jpg   2011 Pacific Northwest HDForums Rally!-dscn0132.jpg  

Old 08-21-2011, 06:24 PM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

sorry I missed it, men. Looks like a great time!
Next year WORK is gonna lose the battle!

Old 08-21-2011, 08:53 PM
yso191
Club Member

It was great to meet the new folks and re-connect with old friends!

A couple of pictures:

Steve

Old 08-22-2011, 12:29 AM
HolePuncher
Cruiser

Randy and Trey - too bad you guys missed the group but it sounds like you both had good rides regardless. Next year... CELL PHONE NUMBERS!!! Either that or quit your jobs and hook up for the whole weekend. Just a thought.

Last edited by HolePuncher; 08-22-2011 at 12:30 AM. Reason: beer
Old 08-22-2011, 01:32 AM
Ratbob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default It just don't get any better than this!

Great to see so many returning riders this year, and really nice to meet the 'first timers'. Truly an unforgettable experience! 750 miles through some of the most beautiful scenery our country has to offer to hang with good friends, cold beer, and live music. Is it Aug '12 yet?

Attached Thumbnails 2011 Pacific Northwest HDForums Rally!-hdfrally-11-040.jpg   2011 Pacific Northwest HDForums Rally!-hdfrally-11-046.jpg   2011 Pacific Northwest HDForums Rally!-hdfrally-11-072.jpg   2011 Pacific Northwest HDForums Rally!-hdfrally-11-073.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2011 Pacific Northwest HDForums Rally!