Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

Opinions form So. Cal members requested.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010 | 01:59 AM
Fireman_Rich
|
Cruiser
Default Opinions form So. Cal members requested.

Originally posted in the "General HD Chat " forum, I moved them do to my request from members in So. Cal.

Recently I have been playing around with some different lighting for my photography. These are my two latest photos.

My questions to the forum members are:
1) Do you like the photo(s)?
2) Would you have a photo of yourself/bike done like this? If yes, send me a PM. I am looking for 6-8 riders around the Temecula area who would like to have photos taken. This will be a prints for time trade. Thanks to all for your opinions.

As pointed out, I realize that the background is distracting. I am working on the lighting set-up. These were shot at approx 3pm in full sun light. they were NOT photoshoped together, as thought by another individual.

Thanks again for taking the time to view/comment.

Rich

Print 1

Print 2

Old 06-09-2010 | 02:42 AM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't find the background distracting at all...and the first pic is better because we can see detail in the pic......not of the background or the bike but the rider....which is what you wanted there...the second pic..again the background is not distracting..I would have made it smaller though...and focused more on the bike....and the lighting is way to dark for a dark painted bike.....detail is lost on the bike and it looks like a dark blob broken up by an engine and the background ( know what I mean)?

like where you're going with these though......would like some pics of my baby like those

Old 06-09-2010 | 04:56 AM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior

Yes, he called it. the Background is irrelevant. The bike needs to be lighter but it does show great detail. The second needs to focus on the bike. It appears too far in the distance. Like you are trying to show the background.

Old 06-09-2010 | 08:57 AM
Fireman_Rich
|
Cruiser

like where you're going with these though
Great question!!!! I need some pictures of Harley riders and their bikes for my portfolio. Yes, they will be shown to many people. Thanks.

Rich

Old 06-09-2010 | 09:12 AM
Robottom
Road Master

+1 Slightly lighter especially with a dark color bike, first pic, close up is excellent.

Actually if these were shot in broad daylight, doing the same thing with a really attractive background left in focus could add some more wow factor too.

Great job!

Old 06-09-2010 | 09:19 AM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member

i can't imagine ever wanting a picture of myself looking like a posed male model , but the second photo with just the bike is nice . dramatic lighting . as mentioned above it could be lighter to show more detail on the bike

edit: i don't find the background distracting . it's out of focus and it's very obvious what the subject of your photo is

Old 06-09-2010 | 11:43 AM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member

Count me in, in September. LOL. Stuck in the Sand Box until then.

Old 06-09-2010 | 11:44 AM
dyebartdie
Road Captain

IMO the first pic is TOO HOT. I would have toned down the lighting a bit. maybe a beauty dish or grid on the face and some diffused lighting for the bike.

the second pic needs some light on the painted area's of the bike.

DOF is ok but of course a nice background either in or out of focus would really be a bonus.

Old 06-09-2010 | 01:10 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master

Can't add anything as for lighting and such, but as for background...

I like the first because it hits me as a natural setting. A guy heading out of his neighborhood for a ride.

For the second, with a bike just by itself.. I prefer an interesting, or understated background over just sitting in the middle of the street. Especially how it's positioned. Very UN-natural.

If it had to be in a neighborhood with no backdrop, I would prefer a wider shot with the bike parked at the curb, all blured (or dark) with only bike in focus (or lighted). Maybe a night shot under a street light.

Old 06-28-2010 | 03:22 AM
O6FXST
Road Captain

Hey Rich, are you still looking for riders to take pics of? I live in Temecula and would like to have a pic taken of me and my bike.

Rick