Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

Team Oregon, in Washington State???

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006 | 07:03 PM
Twohulabears
|
Road Captain
Default Team Oregon, in Washington State???

I was wondering if any of you knew of a course like Team Oregon has http://teamoregon.orst.edu/to_web/index.shtml that is up in Washington State? My sister in-law wants to learn to ride, and I hope they have something up there like that.

Old 04-13-2007 | 03:45 AM
Marblemania
Road Master
Default RE: Team Oregon, in Washington State???

Team Oregon is a replica of the ODOT's written and driving test. It does NOT teach you how to ride.

Your money would be better spent reading the state book and practicing riding prior to taking the test. Even if you have to do it on private property and roads, etc.
It appeared very confusing to a couple young women that hadn't been on a bike before. Combined with the class size was not very organized, nor instructual.

I went to take the "Team" course @ $100 and found it to be the same thing as what the DMV does for $75.
The only thing their course gets you is a small reduction on your insurance and as I understand, you don't have to take the tests at DMV, just pay the money to get an "endorcement". (another double tax if you ask me)

Had I known, I'd have saved myself $100 that I could have spent on more "CHROME".

Old 04-13-2007 | 01:12 PM
TimbrGirl
Stage III

I took the Team Oregon course last year and it was awesome. I learned to ride so damn fast it wasnt even funny. And safely too, including emergency stoping, swerving, and countersteering. TO is very special in that they took the basics and kicked em up a notch. Oregon is the only state to develop its own MSC according to the conditions of our roads and area.
If youre a member of ABATE they will pay for half of the course.

http://www.gtconnect.com/articles/20...tory/mon01.txt

Old 04-15-2007 | 04:37 AM
jefkat2
Road Master

If you are up near Seattle, Lynnwood area, the Harley dealership there has a Riders Edge Course. I ttok the course and was outstanding. They train on Buell Blast's. Farther up north toward Burlington, Mt Vernon, and Bellingham area they have North Sound Safety.

2007 FLHTC

Old 04-20-2007 | 02:26 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member

I took a course through the motorcycle safety foundation that allowed me to bypass the riding portion of the state test. It is a two day course and from what I understand if you take it now and pass you don't have to take the written or the riding test, just get your endorsement. It was a great class with small manageable bikes and a lot of great info. Check out these locations...
http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercours...rCourse%20Info

Old 04-20-2007 | 01:24 PM
the_icemAN
Road Master

I took the MSF course as well. The classes they offer generally are in West Seattle and Everett.

Cost like $100 and it is usually a total of 2.5days (one evening class from 6-10ish and then like all day sat and sun). They do have schedules of classes on there.

Typically with MSF (at least our class) we rode some older Honda 125s or something like that. I thought I was going to break it by sitting on it as it is significantly smaller/lighter than my Ultra Classic.

In any event.... the class is well worth it. Gives some good safety pointers and actually helped me just the other day when I ended locking both my front and rear brakes (emergency situation) and kept the rubber side down. (heart rate raced ... but no crash or lay-down for the bike).

You pass the written test and the little 'riding test' which is pretty easy and boom... you get a certificate of completion to just take to the DMV and they will automagically add the endorsement to your license.

That is more the 'beginner course'. MSF also offers an 'advanced' type course which allows you to BRING your bike to class and use it in the class itself so you can learn how to really use your own bike (like how to do figure 8s in a little box with an ultra-classic or how to effectively push your bike around if you have to get it off the road... those types of things).

We had great instructors and the class was a breeze. But good information given and learned in the class.

Old 04-21-2007 | 01:04 AM
badherb
Road Captain

http://mtinc.us/mcmts_002.htm
http://www.northwest-motorcycle.com

these are both great classes the first one is set up to get your license. the second is for seasoned riders looking to hone their riding skills.

Old 04-21-2007 | 05:48 PM
Vilhelm
Intermediate

We are lucky to have Team Oregon, don't think there is anything like it in Wa. Riders Edge through Harley would be best suggestion. Maybe go to some of the Metric dealerships an see what they recommend/offer.
Good to see Ya TwoHulaBears...from the other side.

Old 04-26-2007 | 01:15 AM
Haji4
Tourer

In the Vancouver, WA. area I took to basic riders course thru Parks and recreation. It was a great class and fun too. Check it out.

Haji4