Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

Turned around on HWY 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009 | 07:37 PM
Hockey Stick
|
Road Master
Default Turned around on HWY 2

Had a free day yesterday so I decided to ride up to Wrightwood and see if I could get across Angeles Crest Hwy.

I knew there was snow in the forecast the night before, but wasn't sure how much this pass would get and so I went for it.

It was another beautiful So Cal day leaving the coast. I was starting to think I was foolish packing so much warm gear. All zippers in my leather jacket were open with just a thermal top and bottoms under my jeans and jacket. More gear in the bags.

Started getting just a little cool as I got off the 15 at the 138. Stopped and put on some glove liners under my riding gloves and closed up my jacket zips.

As I hit the 2 off the 138, there were patches of snow on the hill sides. But still nice weather.

As I got near the town of Wrightwood, started looking like a ski town. More snow on the sides and cars coming down the hill with about 2~3 inces of snow on the roofs and hoods. Roads were still dry.

Going thru Wrightwood, parking lots were looking pretty wet and slushy. At this point I knew I would have to turn around, but figured I'd go as far as I could. Thought about putting on my overalls and warmer gloves, but figured I wouldn't make it much further anyway.

Mountain High ski resort was closed as far as I could tell. Slopes were still mostly grass. Some families sledding on patches of snow they could find that were big enough.

Didn't get too much further. Past Mt High, the road turns left and heads into shady areas and maybe starts climbing more. Not sure, but the road quickly turned wet and with lots of snow slush between the tire marks. The wind was blowing snow fluries across the road and across my face. Finger tips were makeing me think of frost bite. Wasn't actually that bad, but it crossed my mind.

OK, now gotta find a safe place to turn around. Riding slow and not finding any straight sections, I did get to a wide enough section of a turn and was able to turn around safely.

Headed back to Wrightwood (legs shivering now), stopped at Racoon Saloon, drank my share, played some pool, met some cool people including a local rider. Stayed a few hours (drinking water before heading out), and headed home.

Was fun. No pictures.

Old 12-01-2009 | 06:50 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

Sounds like a good day.I just worked.

Old 12-01-2009 | 11:24 AM
SoCalByker
Tourer

Hey HS, that sounds like quite the adventure there...

I remember going up to Hell's Kitchen and on further to some other place during this time of year... and didn't have enough layers... boy I was practically shivering off the bike, couldn't keep the snot in my nose.... I try to stay in the lower elevations during winter... glad you made it back safely bro.

Old 12-01-2009 | 07:56 PM
Oldman - New Iron
Tourer

Sounds like a nice ride, gonna have to ride up there , havent been up to wrightwood in a few years.

Old 12-01-2009 | 08:02 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor

Hwy 2 is closed in several spots further up due to the fires as the road has actually collapsed. I have heard that it will be at least a year until it is open again. I've been up to the Crest when there is snow on the sides in the winter and it gets really cold. Still sounds like it was fun though.

Old 12-01-2009 | 08:03 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor

Hwy 2 is closed in several spots further up due to the fires as the road has actually collapsed. I ahve heard that it will be at least a year until it is open again. I've been up to the Crest when there is snow on the sides in the winter and it gets really cold. Still sounds like it was fun though.

Old 12-02-2009 | 09:05 AM
Cityfyrman
Cruiser

gotta be careful up there this time of year. Caltrans throws the salt pellets down anytime it snows and the residual can and will do a number on your bikes. Make sure you give them a give washdown if there is any moisture on the roads up in the mountain communities this time of year. Great riding up there though!!!

Old 12-03-2009 | 01:34 AM
Rugar
Tourer

Originally Posted by HarleyGoodies
Hwy 2 is closed in several spots further up due to the fires as the road has actually collapsed. I ahve heard that it will be at least a year until it is open again. I've been up to the Crest when there is snow on the sides in the winter and it gets really cold. Still sounds like it was fun though.
It re-opened last Monday.