Bike Rental Ideas in Orange CA

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009 | 10:07 PM
Bearcreek
|
6th Gear
Default Bike Rental Ideas in Orange CA

Hello All,

I have to go to Orange CA on family business next week. I was thinking it would be cool to rent a bike for a day to ride part of the PCH. I don't want to ride in big cities if possible. Any ideas on a place I can rent a bike close to PCH? If you have ideas as to other cool places to ride or see I am open to suggestions. This will be my first trip to southern CA.

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-15-2009 | 11:10 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member

By coincidence, I live in Orange and recently investigated this topic. I discovered that both of the OC Harley dealerships that used to do rentals have gotten out of that business. I wound up renting from Extreme Dream Rider in Costa Mesa 2 weeks ago for the trip to Vegas Bike Week. They are the closest rental location to Orange. I have also rented in the past from Route 66 Riders in Marina Del Rey. They are about 45 minutes from Orange, but closer to PCH. They will even pick you up at LAX.

There are tons of great places to ride in SoCal. If you want to avoid the freeways and big cities, it's an easy and fun trek from Orange to Cook's Corner and then take Ortega Hwy (not really a highway at all) to Lake Elsinore.

Old 10-16-2009 | 11:49 AM
Hockey Stick
Road Master

Can't help with the rentals. Was going to suggest OC HD in Irvine, but maybe they're not renting anymore as Mr. Lucky said.

As for riding, IMO PCH in the OC isn't that great of a ride as it was years ago. Too many traffic lights all along the hwy and too much traffic.

Cooks, Santiago Canyon, Live Oak Canyon, Ortega Hwy are the good rides locally.
Cooks is where Santiago Canyon, Live Oak Canyon, and El Toro Rd all meet.
http://www.cookscorners.com/

However, if you really want to ride PCH, from cooks you can take El Toro to Laguna Canyon Road (SR-133) and end up at PCH in Laguna Beach. From here you can head North towards Newport or South towards Dana Point.
South would me my preference from here. From Dana Point, you can still work your way back to San Jaun Capistrano and to Ortega Hwy (SR-74)

Hopefully the weather will be good for you.

Old 10-16-2009 | 01:39 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

Go south towards San Diego. PCH is more user friendly in that direction.

Old 10-16-2009 | 01:58 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
Go south towards San Diego. PCH is more user friendly in that direction.
Agreed. Nice riding south, and north of OC. But sounded to me like the OP is wanting to ride in the general OC area.

Old 10-16-2009 | 04:37 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member

When your plans are all set, post up. I'm sure some of us locals wouldn't mind showing you around.