Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

The 2009 Tour of the Twisties

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 01:16 AM
brenth
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rode the majority of your possible route today. I had ridden most of it, but there were a few places I had never been, and I had never strung it together like this. Very nice! I turned off Maracopa onto Lockwood valley rd, instead of Quataul road that it looks like you changed to on the new map.

I have got to say, lockwood valley rd is epic!

I'm hoping to ride with you guys, but my anniversary is that day, so I think my wife would kill me.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:42 AM
mightywarlock
Tourer

Originally Posted by brenth
I rode the majority of your possible route today. I had ridden most of it, but there were a few places I had never been, and I had never strung it together like this. Very nice! I turned off Maracopa onto Lockwood valley rd, instead of Quataul road that it looks like you changed to on the new map.

I have got to say, lockwood valley rd is epic!

I'm hoping to ride with you guys, but my anniversary is that day, so I think my wife would kill me.
I say bring the wife! It will be an anniversary she would never forget!!

anyway, i am doing a pre-ride next Saturday with some folks to see how I like the new route, and if it works well and such.

so we shall see.

I will either keep Lockwood Valley Road, as in the past, or switch to Quatual Rd. they are both quite different.

but i think less folks that "I" personally know travel Quataul, so it might make it different for folks who have gone on the Twisties ride in the past.
but Lockwood is one of the best...so we shall see.
was there any water in the water crossings?

Old 04-19-2009, 10:47 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I rode part of this ride last weekend as well. I rode Angeles Crest Highway to Angeles Forest highway out to the 14 to Palmdale Blvd and then up to Lake Elizabeth to Bouquet Cyn to San Frisquito Cyn to lake Hughes Rd and then home. It was a really nice ride. I am looking forward to this jouney.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Big Bear JJ
Advanced

Looks like a great day....hopefully we can go. Will there be any other girlfriends,wives etc. going?

Old 04-19-2009, 04:55 PM
brenth
Advanced

Originally Posted by mightywarlock
I say bring the wife! It will be an anniversary she would never forget!!

anyway, i am doing a pre-ride next Saturday with some folks to see how I like the new route, and if it works well and such.

so we shall see.

I will either keep Lockwood Valley Road, as in the past, or switch to Quatual Rd. they are both quite different.

but i think less folks that "I" personally know travel Quataul, so it might make it different for folks who have gone on the Twisties ride in the past.
but Lockwood is one of the best...so we shall see.
was there any water in the water crossings?
My wife has only ridden on the back of any of my bikes for about 2 miles.

There was only one crossing that had water in it on lockwood, but it wasn't bad, all the others were dry.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:30 PM
mightywarlock
Tourer

if anyone is interested, (and as an alternative if you cannot make the main event on May 30th), feel free to join in next weekend, Saturday, April 25th @ 8am @ glendale Harley for the pre-ride i am going to do with a few folks.

not sure if we will ride the entire loop (probably not) but we may go from glendale to at least the grapevine portion...if not at least to castaic...or maybe to the 14...

i guess we shall see.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:51 AM
mightywarlock
Tourer

I uploaded to the www.tourofthetwisties.com website a Garmin Mapsource file of the Route that can be uploaded to your Garmin GPS with this years proposed route of the Tour of the Twisties.

I figured, this way, if someone is going and has a GPS, they can load it in, and if they can't make the ride, they can still do it again another time, and take the same roads we are taking. (I think so anyways).

also, in just 2 days, (Saturday morning-April 25th) I will be doing a Pre-ride with some folks. anyone who wants to join in can, just be @ Glendale Harley @ 8am.

thanks!

Old 04-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Big Bear JJ
Advanced

We plan on meeting up with you on this tomorrow. What's the plans for stops and lunch?

Old 04-24-2009, 05:14 PM
mightywarlock
Tourer

Originally Posted by Big Bear JJ
We plan on meeting up with you on this tomorrow. What's the plans for stops and lunch?

that's what we shall figure out tomorrow.

see ya @ 8am-ish.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:28 PM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ride looks like it will be cool. I would like to go on May 30. Thanks to all setting this up. Looking forward to meeting you all. It will be a nice 550 mile day for us in Calimesa. How long did this ride take to the final destination in the past?

Thanks

Quick Reply: The 2009 Tour of the Twisties