Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

Overnighter to Death Valley 11/7

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Skidrow
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Overnighter to Death Valley 11/7

Edit: I've decided to stay in Stovepipe Wells Friday night instead of Lone Pine. This splits the two days mileage in almost half. Just a little over 300 miles per day and it would be cool to stay in the park. I hear the scenery at Stovepipe is pretty nice. I also like the suggestion in the post below by DyeBartDie but it would add too much time going through the mountains for this trip. Thanks Joe!

Sorry for the late notice but I've decided where I want to go for a little overnighter this weekend. I've never been to Death Valley and the weather reports say it's going to be in the high 70's and low 80's (and sunny) along my whole route. My plan is to leave Huntington Beach EARLY Friday (11/7) morning (and I'm not a morning person either). I'll start out going up the 55 frwy to the 91 east to the 15 north. I'm just on the 15 for a few miles before I turn onto the 395. My goal is to take the 395 all the way up to a little town called Lone Pine that is just north of Owens Lake (dry). The first day is about 250 miles to Lone Pine. I decided to stay in Lone Pine because they seem to have a few motels and I want to get some rest and be bright-eyed for the trip through Death Valley. Saturday morning I would like to take Hwy 136 out of Lone Pine, then Hwy 190 east, and catch Hwy 178 at Indian Village that will take me down through the valley and over to Shoshone. From Shoshone south on Hwy 127 all the way down to a little town called Baker. This is where you catch Interstate 15 down to Barstow, Apple Valley, and then back home. The second day is a little longer but I wanted to make sure I start the Death Valley tour in the morning so I'm not too tired to enjoy it. I thought about riding all the way to Beatty or Pahrump the first day but I didn't want to have the Death Valley part of the trip at the end of the first day and be too tired to care about what I'm looking at.

Since I've never been on this route everything I've figured out so far was courtesy of Google Maps. If you have ridden this area before let me know if there is anything I should know or change about the route. I hope that someone can go with me. I've already talked to one of my local riding buddies and am waiting to hear back from him. I'd rather not go alone but I will in any case. I've ridden clear across the country before all by myself and had a great time anyway. Just thought I'd update everyone on my plans. Any takers? Should be fun!

Last edited by Skidrow; 11-04-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:32 PM
dyebartdie
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That should be a nice little run. Too bad I can't tag along (I have to work on Sat). How about taking the 15 N. to the 138 E. to the 173. then left on Arrowhead Lake Rd. and then a right on Rocksprings and then a left at Kiowa Rd. to the 18 make a right on to 18 then take that to the 247 to Barstow/15. then you can take the 58 to 395.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Skidrow
Road Captain

C'mon dude, take Saturday off! It's worth it!

Old 11-04-2008, 03:34 PM
dyebartdie
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish I could but I have a new server to put online.

btw that little detour should only add about an hour and a half (+/- depending on your cruising speed).

Old 11-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Skidrow
Road Captain

I'll have to rethink the detour then. That's not too much time at all. Thanks Joe.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:30 AM
sealbeachbum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a fun trip Steve! You know I'd love to join you but I have to help out with our American Legion Riders poker run on Saturday.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:14 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Surf, if you like the desert, this will be one of the most breathtaking rides. If you're staying at Stovepipe, you'll already be in Panamint Valley. If you can, check out the old Ghost town of Panamint, and Ballarat if you have time. When you get to Badwater, prepare to have your socks blown off.

Also, the Adventure riders are having a rally this weekend, and theyre camping at Stovepipe. Look for some jerk in a champagne F250 with a Maggolini pop top on the bed, riding a Beemer GS. Tell the jerk (my boss) I said hi.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Skidrow
Road Captain

This sounds like more fun all the time. Thanks for the pointers. I'm really looking forward to Badwater. I've got a brand new digital SLR that I am looking forward to using for the first time. Should be some great pics. I'll keep an eye out for your boss :-)