Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

Winter Traveling

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 05:18 PM
TBirdEd76
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Traveling

The riding season in New England this year was kinda crapy, lots of rain and never really felt like summer. September was the best month and made more trips to Misquamicut Beach in September than any month. My 06 883C and my friend's 08 FatBob didn't get nearly as many miles as we had planned..........

So our idea was to get on a plane in like January or Febuary and fly out west somewhere, rent a couple of bikes and ride for three days. Problem is, neither of us know jack squat about the west coast, where is a good place to ride that time of year? We were thinking New Mexico, Nevada, California? Where the hell should we go? Where is good riding in January/Febuary? Any advice would be great.

Thanks!
TBirdEd76

Old 10-19-2008, 06:22 PM
powaypete
Road Master

End of Jan thru begining of March is our rainy season here in SoCal. What I mean by that is sometimes it just drizzles and sometimes it just down right pours.

Best time to ride in SoCal is Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Apr, May, & June.

You know the wet months, the others are hot (100+ in the desert and mountains).

But I ride year round, back and forth to work, and on the weekends (except when it down pours).

As for riding, try to stay out of the BIG CITIES.
I-5 will close down (snow) just north of LA.
US 395 will close down (snow) near Mammoth.
These will re-open after about 4-10 hours for plowing.

Last edited by powaypete; 10-19-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:33 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As a former New England rider (western Mass), I can sympathize. Southern California would be a great destination if you were staying longer... year-round riding, lots to see and do, etc. However, we do have a rainy season, and it's right when you are proposing coming. Even though you can usually ride in any given week, we could easily have 3 days of rain, which would wipe out your plans. If you can't stay longer, I'd suggest Tucson, AZ. It's a pretty good sized city, more reliably good weather that time of year, and an interesting place to visit. You could ride through the Sonoran desert, Mt Lemon to the north, and Nogales Mexico to the south (though you won't be able to take a rental over the border).

Ahh, Misquamicut. I remember staying at my friend's summer cottage in Groton Long Pt during hs summer break. One day we decided to thumb to Misquamicut... except no one would pick up a bunch of scruffy long hairs. We wound up walking all the way!

Old 10-19-2008, 06:41 PM
TBirdEd76
Cruiser

Thank you guys for your geographical advice.....with my luck it would rain, since all it did this year in New England was rain on my parade. Maybe I'll change start looking at December instead to avoid the rain months, maybe I'll just go on Christmas to get the hell away from all that family crap! Mr. Lucky, rode to Misquamicut many times this year, to do nothing other than walk the beach, sit on the deck of the Andrea and drink beer and look at the young tallent. Nothing in the world beats summers in Misquamicut. Thanks again guys, more posts welcome!

Old 10-19-2008, 10:05 PM
dyebartdie
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts