Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

Cal Bike Week/Love Ride

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008 | 09:12 AM
johnwwwatson
Advanced
Thumbs up You had me with When, kk6pg!

This is a fund raiser for MDA | Muscular Dystrophy, with rewards for your donation.
It is also the biggest and most successful fund raiser by bikers in the world.
I won't say shut up and give, i will say enjoy come out and live!
This year, you only have to contribute $70 to MDA | Muscular Dystrophy.
It helps kids and people that can never ride a Harley, ever!!!
This year, your generosity will get you a free BBQ lunch, 2 drinks, Concert: The Tubes, The Foo Fighters, & ZZ TOP! Plus you get to ride with 20,000 bikes and look at people. If you show up at Glendale HD, it is absolutely remarkable what got started 26 years ago in a parking is now this, you gotta come and when you get to the event, it's fun and it's all about LOVE.
I change my mind, SHUT UP AND GIVE

http://www.loveride.org/schedule.htm

I'm looking for folks to ride from OC, Costa Mesa/Newport to Glendale or just to Pomona
Any ideas, suggestions welcome. No Hagglers or Stragglers
This is my temp email just for the ride. Email me today!
pleasetellmeabout-loveride25@yahoo.com

Bikers For Obama, Ain't Funny!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQVlNgdn2_Y

Last edited by johnwwwatson; 10-25-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-25-2008 | 09:19 AM
mightywarlock
|
Tourer

i'm planning on giving...and taking!

I volunteer every year to get a free ticket.

so if anyone happens to be in Glendale today trying to Pre-Register for the Sunday event, I will be one of the orange flag wavers helping you park!

then going to just head out to the fairplex tomorrow around 9am. I try to avoid the whole Glendale thing now. too many dangerous and tired bikers over there.
perhaps I'll see some of you folks!

Old 10-25-2008 | 10:39 PM
mightywarlock
|
Tourer

Anyone Want to go tomorrow to the Love Ride?

I have a ticket and can sell it cheap (make me an offer...they cost $75 each).

I have another friend who decided just tonight he can't make it tomorrow and he asked me to sell his ticket as well...so if anyone wants to get 2 tickets to the love ride for $100 (normally $150 - 170) let me know ASAP.

thanks!

Old 10-26-2008 | 08:39 AM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member

Warlock, cant help you with the ticket cause I already got mine. I had too much on the agenda this year to volunteer, but I do tip my bucket to you for putting the effort to make this one memorable. A lot of work goes into this, and its people like you that make it come together.

I was just out on the veranda watching night turn into day, and all I could hear in the distance was bikes. A lot of them. Here it is, 6:30 in the morning, and the locals have already started to move. Guess I better hit the showers and get my butt rolling.

Mama's bike broke yesterday so she'll be riding B#### on mine. She said she was going to flash, but that remains to be seen

Old 10-26-2008 | 05:59 PM
socalrk
Advanced
Default Love ride

I went on Saturday, What a dissapointment. Felt like I had been ripped off for $30. I did donate at the MDA booth though as it felt like the right thing to do.

Old 10-26-2008 | 08:47 PM
HD Jake
Road Warrior

I donated also, and will continue to every year, but let me tell you the group I rode with felt this was the most un coordinated/Coordinated ride we have ever been on...
we got there at 6:15 in the morning, got a great place in line right by Glendale HD and the stage, we left Glendale at 10am and headed out to ride to the Pomona, as soon as we hit the 134, it was a free for all and everyone left the group and took off ??? WTF, I thought this was a sponored ride that was coordinated, cars were cutting in between the bikes and breaking groups up, no signage for people that have not been there before so how would they find the Fairplex if they we broken off from the group ???

I guess I am just venting, I will continue to go and donate to this great cause, but the worst year and Ride I have had in a long time

Just my opinion as well as the 8 people that went with me

Old 10-26-2008 | 08:57 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member

Jake,

The short highway video clip on channel 4 showed exactly what you described - fragmented and disorganized. Seems to be a trend... I was on a group ride like that in August. Never again.

Old 10-26-2008 | 09:00 PM
keirmc
Intermediate
Default Love Ride Seemed Smaller Than Past Years

Thought it was smaller than years past. Not nearly as many bikes at Glendale Harley and fewer vendors at the Fairgrounds.

A bit disorgainzed at lunch. Food far from liquid refreshments. Water booths waiting for water. On the whole the beer vendors seemed to be doing a land office business.

The demo rides were good. My wife took a ride on a V-Rod and it looked like people were getting fairly long demos, 15-25 minutes.

I think the MC thing is getting smaller as the HD population ages and some pass on to that Great Ride in the Sky and are not replaced in equal numbers by young people.

We view the Love Ride as a fun day that supports important charities so we will continue to go in the future, but with reduced expectations.

Old 10-26-2008 | 09:56 PM
mightywarlock
|
Tourer

I think it is beyond the issues you speak of.

It was always a free for all on the way up to Castaic with incredibly bad traffic. What they should really do is leave the right lane or something like that open to just bikes.

as for the lack of people...

there seemed to be a lot of people, especially for the Foo Fighters (everyone left after they played), and less vendors.

but perhaps the problem is NOT the people's age, but the price to pay to even enter the party.

$30 to just look at vendors? $75 to go the concert/glendale love ride experience?

i know it is for charities, and i support the love ride by volunteering, but that is just so i get a ticket to go!

If i had to pay, there is no way i would go. Just like i don't go to a lot of things anymore, due to the increasing prices. There are plenty of cheaper events to attend with no need to charge people to just walk through the vendor village area.

on a side note, Foo Fighers were good. ZZTop was ok.
I did 3 demo rides, 1st on the Tri-Glide, which was an incredibly strange experience. I wanted to like it, but i think it is pretty bad.
then on a Cross Bones, which was actually very comfortable and handled great, and then finally a Road Glide, just because I had never been on one. I like my Ultra better.

Will i go again next year?

if i get a free ticket from volunteering.

the money might go to charity, but I can't afford it.

Old 10-26-2008 | 10:17 PM
Whiffleboy
Road Master

I loved riding through Glendale, but, it went downhill after that. I watched the Foo Fighters entire set from the beer line.

Whiffleboy

Quick Reply: Cal Bike Week/Love Ride