Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

Black Lung Riding in California

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008 | 01:15 PM
panamoncreel
|
Tourer
Default Black Lung Riding in California

Man... Road from North Cali down to Morro Bay for an overnighter... Feel like I've got black lung now from all the smoke.&nbsp\\; It was crazy coming North and seeing that wall of smoke on the horizon.&nbsp\\; Hope it clears up soon.

Old 06-30-2008 | 10:27 PM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Default RE: Black Lung Riding in California

I just got back Sunday from a trip through Tahoe and over to Sacramento then up the coast.&nbsp\\; The smoke is AWFUL.&nbsp\\; I would not recommend this area to anyone.&nbsp\\; Tahoe was a bowl of smoke last week.

Old 07-07-2008 | 09:11 PM
itznin
Road Captain

Hey guys, I'm from NYC area and flying to San Diego on 7/26. I'm renting a bike and heading&nbsp\\;up the coast all the way to San Francisco... passing through LA, Ventura County, Morro Bay, Monterey, etc.... Will I be effected by the smoke you guys are talking about?
&nbsp\\;
I plan to take the coast the WHOLE way when possible....
&nbsp\\;
Also on a side note if anyone wants to join in on the ride up for even a portion of it, feel free to let me know and I'll tell you when/where I'll be passing through.

Old 07-07-2008 | 09:16 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member

I feel your pain. Down here in Southeast VA we have had the pleasure of riding through smoke from the Great Dismal Swap fire. The dirt is on fire.........dirt is on fire. Something is just wrong about that. The smoke is nasty, though maybe not as think as what you guys are dealing with at the moment.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-07-2008 | 09:42 PM
itznin
Road Captain

Well after some more research at this site: http://www.oes.ca.gov/WebPage/oesweb...veMap?readForm
&nbsp\\;
It appears I'm in trouble going through "Big Sur" on my way to Monterey.... any idea if Route 1 will even be open or am I going to have to take the freeway?
&nbsp\\;
This is some of the best riding on the whole trip that is going down the drain..........
&nbsp\\;
I should be there around 7/30, for those familiar with these type of fires on a regular basis, how do you think it will progress in the next 23 days?

Old 07-08-2008 | 12:20 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member

23 days is an eternity for something like this. Keep checking the site. Hope you can make that part of the ride.

Zach

Old 07-08-2008 | 12:21 PM
panamoncreel
|
Tourer

Big Sur is pretty F'd at the moment.&nbsp\\; I'd take some time to plan an alternate route.&nbsp\\;

There aren't many crossovers off of the 1 once you are North of Cambria.&nbsp\\; I believe the last doable cut through might be Nacimiento-Ferguson through Hunter Ligget Military Reservation, but you better like twisties if you go that route.&nbsp\\; Otherwise, I'd take 46 through Paso Robles and then go up Indian Valley Road / Peach Tree Road / Highway 26 past the Pinnacles and Hollister... You could then take the 156 and / or 129 back over to the 1 and be in the clear.

Most of the smoke in the Bay Area proper is cleared up from what it was.&nbsp\\; As you go farther North of SF you still run into the thicker stuff.

Hope that helps...

Old 07-08-2008 | 09:16 PM
itznin
Road Captain

Thanks guys for the feedback, it would be helpful if you guys can chime in on the status of Big Sur as it gets closer to my arrival date (I should be there 7/30)

Here is my route for everyone who is interested, and like I said before if anyone wants to meet up and join I plan to do a bunch of stops and hang out along the way as well.... I will be riding with my girl on the back, and my friend and his girl on the back. Also from SD up through Ventura my good friend who lives out there will be riding up, and I'll be meeting Anibuss through LA.
&nbsp\\;
EDIT: Since the site is messed up I can't put the link in here....

Old 07-08-2008 | 09:26 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member

If you want to post the link go to *******.com and get a shorter length link for it. The site is pretty straight forward.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008 | 09:40 PM
itznin
Road Captain

Thanks - Try this guys:
&nbsp\\;
http://*******.com/6ecvy2

Quick Reply: Black Lung Riding in California