Helmet Law Protest, July 4, @ Fiesta Island, CA

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008 | 01:19 PM
Serpentsminion
Cruiser
Default RE: Helmet Law Protest, July 4, @ Fiesta Island, CA

Skills only matter to a degree.
&nbsp\\;
I&nbsp\\;dont like the helmet either, but still i understand regardless of my skills, (and I ride very attentively a hundred and ten percent of the time and don't drink and dont speed in urban areas) that I still cannot prevent the idiot factor. Another driver being the idiot.
&nbsp\\;
I can guarantee myself that if I am in an accident it will not be my fault, barring a mechanical failure of my bike. It will be someone else&nbsp\\; running into me. Point is,&nbsp\\; no mater your skills, or how attentive you are,&nbsp\\; there's always a CHANCE&nbsp\\; of&nbsp\\; someone hitting you.
&nbsp\\;
And every accident is dfferent. There arent 'always critical head injuries' that 'could've been prevented if they were wearing a helmet'.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; And&nbsp\\; ever notice&nbsp\\; how&nbsp\\; when the news reports&nbsp\\; a motorcycle accident&nbsp\\;that a helmet isn't mentioned at all unless one was NOT being worn?&nbsp\\; F**kin media do-gooders.&nbsp\\; And the statistics&nbsp\\; on helmet use/accidents/deaths/percentages&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; are WAY&nbsp\\; out of whack when they are presented to people who don't know any better,&nbsp\\; to make things look more dire than they really are.&nbsp\\; There are many other injuries one can&nbsp\\; get&nbsp\\; in a bike accident- broken/amputated legs,&nbsp\\; broken back/ arms... what about those?&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; why don't those ever get mentioned?&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; The helmet&nbsp\\; laws&nbsp\\; are mostly&nbsp\\; a bandwagon issue&nbsp\\; that politicians&nbsp\\; like to use because it generates heat and gets attention.
&nbsp\\;
I believe it should be a choice, and I would&nbsp\\; ride&nbsp\\; MUCH less if I were forced.&nbsp\\; I'm confident in myself and I'm careful,&nbsp\\; but&nbsp\\; that idiot factor&nbsp\\; is still there&nbsp\\; and&nbsp\\;I understand the possible consequences were I to get hit and my head were to get hurt.&nbsp\\; And my insurance is good.

Old 07-03-2008 | 02:08 PM
panamoncreel
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Pegasus Racing

The Bucket Is Just&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;a Fail Safe for those who don't have the skills needed, It is always going to be Your Skills at riding at is going to save your A$$. That Tired old BS about Head Injuries,&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;Insurance &amp\\;\\\\\\; Helmets&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;Is an old drum they have been banging for 30 years now. If you don't have the Skills stay off the street until you have the skills, Bucket or not It is the Skills that keep you alive&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Say that to the driver that runs a stop sign and smacks ya! &nbsp\\; I wear my helmet cuz of all the dipweed cagers around here... scary.

Old 07-03-2008 | 07:38 PM
Stelis
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: CAPTAMERACA

i agree with you stelis, but it could be&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; those that don't have insurance to cover themselves just in case of a down fall, and will cause your&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;money to pay for their hospitalization of a brain damaged head, for the rest of their life.
&nbsp\\;
I think you'll find that more cagers suffer from traumatic injuries than motorcyclists, simply because there are far more cagers than motorcyclists.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; If there a burden on public health, it's the car accidents, not the motorcycle accidents.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-06-2008 | 11:57 AM
Pegasus Racing
|
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Stelis
I think you'll find that more cagers suffer from traumatic injuries than motorcyclists, simply because there are far more cagers than motorcyclists.&nbsp\\;If there a burden on public health, it's the car accidents, not the motorcycle accidents.
&nbsp\\;
Well Said.

Old 07-07-2008 | 12:41 PM
sealbeachbum
Road Warrior

Helmet laws suck! It's all about freedom of choice. I live right in the middle of one of the most populated areas in the country. If we didn't have a helmet law in California I would still wear one around all this traffic, but once out on a country back road with no traffic it would be nice to loose the lid and feel the freedom of the wind in your hair! When I road through Arizona last year and was cruising the beautiful scenic byways with out a helmet on it was awesome! It was what riding is all about! I served my country in the Navy for 4 years so that we may be be a free nation. To wear or not to wear a helmet is one of those freedoms! I have excellent medical insurance so don't waste your time lecturing me about having to pay my bills!