Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

best rides in califorina?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 09:52 AM
wydopn231
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default best rides in califorina?

rode into califorina yesterday.we have only few days to site see.we spoent 5 days of riding thru rain,snow and 60 mph winds and would like to make the most out of short time before heading back Tuesday.Points of interest The pch,any dragracing sites museums , national forest with great .Right now we are just east oif LA.,heading west towards hollywood and then towards coast.
Also I thought you folks always had great weather,whatr the hell its coilder here then in North Carolina I rode 2500 miles for cold wet weather,I think Mr Arnold owes me a free vaction his tv add said nothing about this .

Old 05-24-2008, 10:28 AM
flavoflav
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: best rides in califorina?

ORIGINAL: wydopn231

rode into califorina yesterday.we have only few days to site see.we spoent 5 days of riding thru rain,snow and 60 mph winds and would like to make the most out of short time before heading back Tuesday.Points of interest The pch,any dragracing sites museums , national forest with great .Right now we are just east oif LA.,heading west towards hollywood and then towards coast.
Also I thought you folks always had great weather,whatr the hell its coilder here then in North Carolina I rode 2500 miles for cold wet weather,I think Mr Arnold owes me a free vaction his tv add said nothing about this .
Go to www.pashnit.com and look undr california roads too many to mention.

You hit a bad weekend - Rain Sat Sun and Cold - big fire in santa cruz... supposed to warm up next week tuesday.

You want warm? I would go south to san diego and palm srpings - may be warm there - gonna be chilly on the water. If you are east of LA not sure how far but death valley is a great ride...

J -

Old 05-24-2008, 12:30 PM
SOCALHD
Road Warrior

Last week it was 90 degrees here.
Weather is crappy in San Diego too. Mountains are windy and stormy too and in order to get to the desert you have to go thru them.
Even the desert was cold, rainy and windy on thursday.

Sorry.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:29 AM
Billiam92407
Tourer

It really depends on where you are... and you did get hosed by the weather. Its been gorgeous up until Thursday night.

But if you are in the Inland Empire (Ontario, San Bernardino, Riverside areas) there aresomegreat rides. It also depends on how far you want to go.

You can start on Hwy 18 in San Bernardino up the mountain then across (east) to Big Bear Lake. (About 1hr )From there follow the 38 around and back west into Redlands (About 1.5 hr)where you can catch I-10 east about 15 miles to the 243 south to Idyllwild (about 45 minutes) In Idyllwild catch the 74 west to Lake Elsinore (about 45 minutes) From there you can stay on the 74 (Ortega Hwy) Stop by Hells Kitchen for a bite or a beer, and follow that all the way into San Juan Capistrano. (About 1 hr.) But there has been some construction on 74 so could be delays.

If you take the 74 east in Idyllwild... that takes you down into the back side of Palm Springs.

In Orange County you have to go by the famous Cooks Corner. On a sunny Sat or Sun. you can see 100 - 200 bikes. They just got hit with a mud slide on friday... but i am sure it is cleaned up by now.

All of that is along day on some gorgeous mountain highways.The whole thingmight be a bit ambitious... but one or two of those legs are a nice ride.

There are great little restaurants and hotels in all of the towns along they way.

Most of it is mountain riding.... in this weather it could be a bit slick and chilly.

Be safe. Welcome to California.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:37 AM
mightywarlock
Tourer

too bad you are not here NEXT weekend.
that's when I am hosting the Tour of the Twisties.

however, you can still ride it if you want,

as i have a Map and turn by turn directions on the website...
http://www.tourofthetwisties.com

let us know if you do it.