Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

Hey Washington/Oregon Folk

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008 | 09:38 AM
Grumbler
Cruiser
Default RE: Hey Washington/Oregon Folk

Unfortunately, I've never been on the Oregon Coast although I'm planning (easier said than done) an Oregon Coast Bridge Tour next year. Have done the coast route btw SoCal and Crescent City several times over the years. Used to live in Carmel, Carmel Valley, and Santa Cruz during my formative years.

Got sick and tired of all the traffic btw Carmel and Big Sur especially from Point Lobos to the Carmel Valley Rd jct in the afternoon. Slow, lumbering motorhomes compounded by the CHP parking on bluffs with binoculars watching for speeders and those passing on the double yellows on a road with very few legal passing opportunities dilutes the experience. How can you enjoy the scenery when behind a huge RV blocking the view? There's so many of them that pulling over is almost futile.

I don't recall seeing any RVs in "Then Came Bronson".

Not trying to be negative, but that's the reality especially during the summer months. OTOH, if you grab a motel in San Simeon, and get an early start the following morning, it's all good.

US-101 btw Crescent City and Moonstone/Little River State Beach is highly underrated IMO. It's a *great* ride, and can take side trip on Newton B. Drury Scenic Byway from Klamath (if southbound).

Old 05-20-2008 | 11:09 AM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member

Sandpoint isn't bad for traffic,pulled in on a Sat. night Memorial day weekend and got a nice campsite on the lake no problem.
Couer d'Alene is at 95 and I-90just outside the City of Spokaneso yeah there's some traffic there but it's not that bad going South.
We've done highway 1 from Legget all the way to Montery including through SF.
It got cold on us too,ended up going East on I think 58 all the way to Barstow then getting on 40 for Arizona.
Got nuked doing that! [8D]

Old 05-20-2008 | 02:17 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member

Last year I went to Hollister via 101 from Waldport to Legget. Then took 1 to Ft Bragg where we stayed the first night. Then took 1 fron Ft Bragg all the way to Watsonville where we headed east to Hollister. That was an all day ride. I'm thinking Vancouver to San Diego is more than 3 days if you're going to stick on 1. It sure would be a great ride though.

Zach

Old 05-20-2008 | 02:58 PM
SOCALHD
|
Road Warrior

Okay Y2K you convinced me these arte the things I want to see.
Hows about giving me all the routes so I can map it out?
Route from Trout Creek and Route from Stevensville.

I know my exact route to Montana from SD including places to stay and fuel stops. Only because I've driven the route in a cage twice before.

Those photos are beutiful.
Is there plenty of fuel stops along those routes and a decent Hotel just in case I dont make Vancouver in one day, which it appears I wont if I want to stop and take in some of these sites.
I want to treat this ride for the journey not the destination if you know what I mean.

Old 05-20-2008 | 04:10 PM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Biggzed

Last year I went to Hollister via 101 from Waldport to Legget. Then took 1 to Ft Bragg where we stayed the first night. Then took 1 fron Ft Bragg all the way to Watsonville where we headed east to Hollister. That was an all day ride. I'm thinking Vancouver to San Diego is more than 3 days if you're going to stick on 1. It sure would be a great ride though.

Zach
I agree if hiway 1 is involved,we stayed in Ft.Bragg our second night and Crescent city our first.
Third was Atascedero (Spell?)

Old 05-20-2008 | 04:40 PM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member

ORIGINAL: SOCALHD

Okay Y2K you convinced me these arte the things I want to see.
Hows about giving me all the routes so I can map it out?
Route from Trout Creek and Route from Stevensville.

I know my exact route to Montana from SD including places to stay and fuel stops. Only because I've driven the route in a cage twice before.

Those photos are beutiful.
Is there plenty of fuel stops along those routes and a decent Hotel just in case I dont make Vancouver in one day, which it appears I wont if I want to stop and take in some of these sites.
I want to treat this ride for the journey not the destination if you know what I mean.
Ok,I'll need to know what all you want to see though,it's not all on a single route.
Gas pretty much shoudn't be a problem,fill up before leaving Lolo if you do that route,there is about an 80 mile stretch on highway 14 between Umatilla and Maryhill with no gas but if you fill up before you hit it you'll be fine.
Plenty of places with rooms,no problem there.
Rooms can be a problem along the Oregon Coast,they fill up fast even though there are many especially on weekends.

Old 05-20-2008 | 08:21 PM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member

Got to think'n,the pics I posted from highway 95 were all from South of Lewiston.
Not that the rest of 95 isn't nice too but IMHO that's the best part between Wieser and Lewiston.
That far South is pretty far out of your way.
Hiway 3 through Joseph Canyon in Oregon is also great but it's pretty far out of your way too.
From Trout Creek back down to Lolo is only 2 1/2 hours/135 miles and a very nice ride,I think I'd do that and ride highway 12 anyway if you are leaving from there,it's just a road you should not miss.

Another 205 miles and you're in Lewiston,might be all you want to do in a day but it puts you in reach of Vancouver for the next day.
If you can do another 100 miles you can make Walla Walla,either place has plenty of motels etc.
That would be about 440 miles of two lane road if you make it to Walla Walla but should not be a lot of traffic.

Walla Walla to Umatilla is only 56 miles then you cross the bridge on 395/82 back into Washington and take highway 14 down the Columbia river all the way to Vancouver.
If time gets tight you can run the freeway (I-84) on the Oregon side but I like two lane WA SR 14 better,not much for running the slab even if it's a scenic ride and this is.
It's just shy of 189 miles from Umatilla to Vancouver.

">

Old 05-20-2008 | 08:34 PM
SOCALHD
|
Road Warrior

I appreciate this. Thanks.
Is there plenty of fuel stops on these roads?
After talikng to my friend today we are not sure if we are even going up to Trout Creek from there house.
If that is the case we will leave from Stevensville up to LOLO and west bound

Old 05-20-2008 | 08:52 PM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member

I know a dozen ways to the Oregon Coast from Vancouver.
If you have the time I'd ride I-5 up to Longview,Washington and take highway 4 (Ocean beach highway)on down the rest of the Columbia river then cross the bridge to Astoria,Oregon on the PCH 101.
You might as well see the whole of the Oregon Coast if you're going to do it and Washington 4 is a very nice mostly 2 lane road with minimal traffic compared to most any of the routes to the coast from Portland/Vancouver or points South of Portland,believe me I've done them all,even some that aren't paved all the way through.
If time is an issue you could take 99W from Portland to highway 18 for a cutoff and hit 101 at Lincoln City.
You could also take highway 30,Portland to Astoria.
Highway 26 portland to Seaside/Cannon Beach.
Highway 6 Portland to Tillamook and some other routes I know less traveled but slower.

Old 05-20-2008 | 10:26 PM
schoney
Tourer

How much time are you going to have on this trip? As you ride on hwy 12 along the clearwater river stop in the little town of Orofino Id., 45 miles east of Lewiston. There is a dam there called Dworshak Dam. It is the same size as Hover Dam and you used to be able to ride to the top of the dam and sight see and park your bikes on top, haven't been there post 9-11. 71 stories from the top to the bottom. Quite a site. If you do pass through Heppner Or. pm me and if I'm home I would be happy to put you up for the night. Schoney

Quick Reply: Hey Washington/Oregon Folk